Old Fashioned recipe?

Alden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not like this...

But, if I ordered an old fashioned and was handed this, I would accept based on the "3 ounces" of bourbon that is in it.

17 hours ago, Golzee said:

Not like this...

But, if I ordered an old fashioned and was handed this, I would accept based on the "3 ounces" of bourbon that is in it.

I had to watch the video 3 times before I even realized she was telling me how to make an Old Fashioned.  I would accept any drink she handed me.:wub:

• I like it 2

Not sure I'd actually pay her (for the drink), but the opportunity to watch her mix some of 'em might keep me in the tavern long enough to sip a few Bourbons neat.    She is worth watching.  ;)

Umm yeah. I suppose I can see why she is in the video but I don't think it is her drink making skills.

This comment on the youtube site was amusing...

"Oh, She's using maraschino cherries. I've never seen them in a old fashioned, I guess that's what is wrong with this video...."

"Dear god, is she mushing the ingredients up?"

"What the f&#k is she doing with all that ice?!"

"Sweet mother of god, I guess she meant 3oz left in the bottle."

:lol:

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, CardsandBourbon said:

I had to watch the video 3 times before I even realized she was telling me how to make an Old Fashioned.  I would accept any drink she handed me.:wub:

LOL! Indeed. I'd buy that. 

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, Golzee said:

Not like this...

FFS. I ended up looking up this very attractive girl on Youtube to check out her other cocktails. Wow. She did not make a single drink correctly; at least in the drinks I saw her make. She even has Rum & coke tutorial that I couldn't bring myself to watch. I shit u not. A tutorial for RUM&COKE!! I'm guessing she screwed that one up too but I still enjoyed her videos for some reason ;).

• 8 months later...

Was sent some samples from the fine people at Grand Marnier, and wanted to try some of their cocktails which include whiskey - and make a more traditional version for a side-by-side. 

Started with what they call a "Grand Old Fashioned", which includes:

½ OZ. GRAND MARNIER®
1 OZ. WILD TURKEY® BOURBON
1 DASH AROMATIC BITTERS

Combine all that in a rocks glass, add ice, stir and press some orange peel around the rim.  I skipped the orange peel garnish and brandied cherry they call for.  Lacking WT101, I used some WTKS (and for the bitters I used Angostura - since thems the only bitters I own!)

The more traditional Old Fashioned recipe I went with was:

2 oz Bourbon
3 Dashes Angostura Bitters
1 tsp simple syrup

Same process - combine, add ice, stir, orange peel around the rim.  I used the same WTKS here.

Result?  The "Grand Old Fashioned" had more orange flavor as you'd expect with the GM, and it was a whole lot more sweet.  Taking the other as a baseline, I'd say their recipe doesn't hit the same mark (although that may not be their goal to make a solid Old Fashioned; I get they're trying to highlight their spirit).  May try this again, but instead use 1.5 oz bourbon (so still 2 oz of booze, which levels the playing field a bit) and use 2 or 3 dashes of bitters.

They also have a recipe for a "Grand Manhattan" which I may try later.

• 4 months later...

I'm a newbie to the site, like old fashioned sand occasionally make them when I'm not drinking neat. One thing that I do is make large, clear ice cubes from filtered water. One people call me crazy but it honestly makes a difference in the finished product. Cloudy, off-tasting ice ruins it for me.. just sayin

Ice ball or ice cube

1 sugar cube or sugar packet (syrup tastes too syrupy and processed)

A splash of water to dissolve the sugar

2-3 oz rye (or bourbon) preferably BIB or higher proof to taste

2 -3 shakes of bitters (to taste)

3 - 6 drops of orange juice squeezed from an orange

Mix it all up & pour over the ice ball & stir in the glass

Peel a piece of orange rind and crinkle it up enough not to break it but to let the oils start to come out

Rub the oils around the rim of the glass & throw the rind into the drink

Enjoy

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.