What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2013

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just can't get enough of the Hakashu 12.

My dream now is to find a CS version of a Hakashu...

Sipping on Hakushu 12 right now and am so very impressed with this dram - hunting for a CS or Sherried version right now actually

Sipping on Hakushu 12 right now and am so very impressed with this dram - hunting for a CS or Sherried version right now actually

I don't believe they exist in the states - the rep told me there was some limited stuff in Japan, but that what we have in that 12 year is all that's in the US.

FWIW: Longrow 10/100 is another legendary pour as well. It's an all time fave of mine!

Just can't get enough of the Hakashu 12. Pears, Granny Smith Apples and just enough smoke to make it richer and almost savory. Super sweet and balanced, but the peating takes this to entirely new level. The flavors are distinctly Japanese when you know what it is, but blind? 9 times out of 10 I'd call it as an exceptional Campbeltown malt.

The craftsmanship on this one is excellent. A real score for anybody who likes the sweet vs. savory flavors in some finished & mild smoke Islays or the traditional Springbank-style bottles. No peat monster here - it's all about balance.

My dream now is to find a CS version of a Hakashu...

Sipping on Hakushu 12 right now and am so very impressed with this dram
FWIW: Longrow 10/100 is another legendary pour as well. It's an all time fave of mine!

Well I think you've directed me towards my next new bottle of whisky. Especially if it compares to the Longrow 10/100!

I don't believe they exist in the states - the rep told me there was some limited stuff in Japan, but that what we have in that 12 year is all that's in the US.

Yep. I'm searching on Japanese sites but they're hard to find there as well.

Need to add the Longrow 10/100 to the list too (love the Longrow 10)

Well I think you've directed me towards my next new bottle of whisky. Especially if it compares to the Longrow 10/100!

Yeah, Aaron - knowing what you've enjoyed so far, I think you'll really dig Hakashu 12. It's not a peat monster - just an incredibly well constructed pour. It's "tight and crisp" - just really well made, with a nice balance of green fruit and smoke (with some vanilla and mild oaky flavors). I'm pretty confident based on our past conversations that this will be something you really like.

Let me know if you have trouble finding it - but Chicago should be well stocked.

Yep. I'm searching on Japanese sites but they're hard to find there as well.

If you find something - let me know! Maybe we can split shipping, LOL.

If you find something - let me know! Maybe we can split shipping, LOL.

Found one @ 118pf

Just poured some Laphroaig Triple Wood. I keep going back and forth on this one . . . one time I really like it, the next time not so much.

Fortunately, today it's a plus!

Springbank 10 100 proof and Bruichladdich "Laddie 10" tonight.

A little Ardbeg Provenance tonight, while very good, I might say that I am a little disappointed or perhaps this is another example of my taster not quite being up for something this complex yet. That said, I read Serge's notes and get the same things in the finish he mentions pretty much spot on.

**edit. Now that I have finished the healthy pour of the Provenance I'll say it is very damn good whisky, but can't help noticing a strong resemblance to the finest Stitzel Weller bourbon, makes me wonder if part of this was aged in ex S-W casks.

Also had a pour of Port Charlotte cask 967 bottled by Malts of Scotland, another very good whisky, and hard to believe it is only 8 years old.

Edited by Virus_Of_Life

Glenfarclas 21 while enjoying the wonderful spring weather,just a great dram light sweet entry of fruit just enough balance of sherry influence and a touch of aged wood bringing up the finish,a most enjoyable dram that truly defies its age.Thanks again Josh,great stuff well balanced and just a damn fine pour!

Glenfarclas 21 while enjoying the wonderful spring weather!

I need to try some of this soon

I'm still working on this bottle of Highland Park 12. It's surprisingly good and complex for a middle shelf scotch. Yesterday I had a little and tasted sea creatures in it.

Now, I understand this was made on one of the Orkney islands, and the barrels are probably sitting in an open air warehouse for 12 years, but for it to pick up even a subtle note of the essence of ocean is amazing to me.

Yeah, Aaron - knowing what you've enjoyed so far, I think you'll really dig Hakashu 12. It's not a peat monster - just an incredibly well constructed pour. It's "tight and crisp" - just really well made, with a nice balance of green fruit and smoke (with some vanilla and mild oaky flavors). I'm pretty confident based on our past conversations that this will be something you really like.

Let me know if you have trouble finding it - but Chicago should be well stocked.

I'm still working on this bottle of Highland Park 12. It's surprisingly good and complex for a middle shelf scotch. Yesterday I had a little and tasted sea creatures in it.

Now, I understand this was made on one of the Orkney islands, and the barrels are probably sitting in an open air warehouse for 12 years, but for it to pick up even a subtle note of the essence of ocean is amazing to me.

I found it easily enough nearby for $60. First impression, very nice. Definitely more interesting than other Japanese I've tried. It's a bit on the sweet side for me, though, and it brings this green apple jolly rancher profile. The smoke gives me something to chew on, but it still leaves me with too much sweet. Definitely a tight little pour, but as to whether it merits a repeat buy from me, I'll have to see if I can get over the sweetness by the end if the bottle.

That green apple quality is something I really like. The majority of European reviewers seem to recall pears on it, and I do get that too, but I get far more apple, personally.

Yes, it's sweet, but not cloying (at least to me...). Totally recalls a Springbank or Highland park-type flavor. The general quality is excellent.

Hopefully it'll open up for you and you'll enjoy it a bit more. It's getting harder and harder to find... I'm sending Bourbon Greg a few bottles tomorrow.

This is one I almost grabbed at TPS last weekend. Bit of a split opinion, it would appear. Only one way to be sure though.

I am having some Japanese whisky however, to follow up this amazing smoked pork ramen we had for dinner. A little Hibiki 12, and Yoichi 15.

Vacationing in Mexico, and the selection of scotch is limited. Been sticking to tequila mostly, but took a double pour of Glenfiddich 12 back to the room to go with a Cuban cohiba. Doing just fine with it.

That's one of the beautiful things about Scotch whisky, especially Islay, Campbeltown, and the Islands. So much brine, and sea, and a million little nuances that sneak in during the much slower maturation close to the sea. I think I read that no whisky is ever aged more than 40 miles from the ocean in Scotland. That's probably not true exactly, but it has to be close.

Having some more of this HP12 right now. Looking at the bottle I see that half of it is GONE! Zounds!

Maybe I should slow down a tad wee bit.

2011 Lagavulin Distiller's Edition - been wanting to try this and thanks to LostBottle's generosity, was able to enjoy some of this peated & sherried deliciousness... The end result is another expression added to my "to-buy" list :-)

2011 Lagavulin Distiller's Edition - been wanting to try this and thanks to LostBottle's generosity, was able to enjoy some of this peated & sherried deliciousness... The end result is another expression added to my "to-buy" list :-)

Sounds good. I will keep that one in mind next time I'm browsing scotch at the local Total Wine & etc.

Sounds good. I will keep that one in mind next time I'm browsing scotch at the local Total Wine & etc.

You started a thread titled: "Top Shelf Scotch - Highland Park 18 VS 15?" where you stated:

Also, is this one heavy on the peat?

I really don't like a heavily peated scotch.

If you "really don't like a heavily peated scotch" Lagavulin (either the regular 16 year old or the Distillers Edition which is essentially the 16 finished in ex-sherry casks) would be the last thing you would want to buy.;)

On a scale of 0 (no peat smoke) to 9 (sticking your head in a column of smoke generated by burning wet peat) Highland Park would rate about 3-4, Lagavulin 7-8!!!

Edited by portwood

Quite a few compliments of TomH. He picked these up from Masters of Malt.

post-6524-14489818992818_thumb.jpg

We first sampled the new Talisker Storm. I like it. The nose and finish are fantastic. Nice subtle peat with a good dose of ripe fruit. Mangos dominated. The palate wasn't as great as I'd hoped for. The peat took over and tended to overpower the dram. Very well rounded and silky though. Lots of Talisker character to like. I'd pick up a bottle if I could find one for $50ish.

Next we sampled an Ardbeg Blasda. Rightfully named, it was very "Blah". Drank like Ardbeg vodka. Very thin, watery, and lacking much flavor at all. Ardbeg is really disappointing me as of late.

Next up was an Elements of Islay Bowmore. Quite tasty with tropical fruit again. Mangos and melon on the palate. Solid finish.

Next was Cu Dhub Black. No clue what this one is (chime in Tom), but it was weird. Kind of all over the place. TOO many flavors mixed together. I recall black licorice and syrup. It was sweet and peaty but they fought eachother. Not a good dram in my opinion but I give it a 9/10 in terms of weirdness/odd.

Next was an Auld Reekie 10yr old. I think this one might have been a blend, I can't remember. A solid pour but nothing really stood out.

Finally we ended with a Poit Dhubh 12yr. Kind of flat in my opinion with a weird, briney, pickle note mid-palate. Not bad overall but something was definitely odd in the middle.

Thanks again for sharing Tom!!!!

post-6524-14489818992396_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!