What rye did you purchase today - Spring/Summer 2013

Wryguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I feel silly when I have an all rye buying day and then I post about it in the bourbon purchase thread, so I'm starting this thread, hope its not too out of place.

Today I bought a Jefferson's 10 year rye, a baby Saz and found my first WTR 101. Also picked up my first bottle of Dickel rye. Passed on many overpriced bottles of HW21 and a Hirsch 25. Oh, and a boatload of Willett 5 yr old rye.

Picked up 3 bottles of Baby Saz that I had left behind a couple years earlier for $19.50ea! :)

I am so rye deficient. I have more bottles open right now than I ever have and the closest thing I have to a rye is Bourye. Not good. At all.

Wait, the Bourye's good, I meant my open rye deficiency is not. Just to be clear.

Picked up a few more WTR101's before they are all gone,gotta love clearance priced items,once they were marked down I figured they wouldn't last long whats a guy to do.....:shocked:

Picked up a few more WTR101's before they are all gone,gotta love clearance priced items,once they were marked down I figured they wouldn't last long whats a guy to do.....:shocked:

Clearance! I seem to be only finding it at marked up prices!

Wryguy, I had the Dickel rye for the first time last week. I loved it. My store ran out of it at 21 clams so I am waiting for a restock. Interested to know what you think about it.

Grabbed a four-year old Willet rye this week. There's been plenty around the local shops.

I am so rye deficient. I have more bottles open right now than I ever have and the closest thing I have to a rye is Bourye. Not good. At all.

Wait, the Bourye's good, I meant my open rye deficiency is not. Just to be clear.

Wild Turkey recently applied for a new WTR 101 label. Hopefully it comes back at a reasonable price and of similar quality to the old.

That label is for a one liter bottle, is this geared toward the restaurant/bar trade?

That label is for a one liter bottle, is this geared toward the restaurant/bar trade?

Good catch. I seem to recall hearing a rumor that if/when WTR 101 came back it was going to be primarily (exclusively?) for on-premise consumption. How they would prevent bottles from being sold to the general public is beyond me though.

Good catch. I seem to recall hearing a rumor that if/when WTR 101 came back it was going to be primarily (exclusively?) for on-premise consumption. How they would prevent bottles from being sold to the general public is beyond me though.

That was probably me, since that is what was said to me by Eddie Russell when I asked him about the products return.

We will just have to wait and see what plays out.

B

The label pictured is a 1L but the approval lists 750ml, 375ml, and 1.75L as approved sizes.

WT also submitted this label the same day: https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=13095001000559

By the way, it appears that the reason for the new label submissions is so that they can replace Jimmy's name with Eddie's. Here's the previous one: https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=11152001000424

But just on the 81 proofers? https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=13095001000556

Edited by HighInTheMtns

Wryguy, I had the Dickel rye for the first time last week. I loved it. My store ran out of it at 21 clams so I am waiting for a restock. Interested to know what you think about it.

GB, I like the Dickel quite a bit, seems to me that the charcoal filtration rounded out the prickly, pickly edges of the LDI juice quite a bit, one of the few ryes I've enjoyed more on the rocks, mint comes forward, and its not overly sweet. Unfortunately around these parts prices are all over the place on this product, ranging from 25-38. I got mine for the former, but if it were 21 like in the Great North I'd be a repeat buyer. No wonder they ran out. I find the Dickel to most closely resemble the Redemption Rye of all the LDI ryes out there.

I purchased several more bottles of WTR 101 and am starting to see the 81 proof fill up the old spots.

Baby Saz! finally found some, in fact a stash of it... I passed on some a month ago and went to collect and all 5 were gone. I should have known better when the drop happened.

Unfortunately around these parts prices are all over the place on this product, ranging from 25-38. I got mine for the former, but if it were 21 like in the Great North I'd be a repeat buyer.

Passed on some of it today @ $17.99!!

Love our prices here. :grin:

B

Willet 5yr Rye.... So damn good, no one has been hitting my stash either!

Wiser's Legacy.

Seek it out my friends, if you haven't tried it before.

B

Wiser's Legacy.

B

Wiser's Legacy.

B

I tried to grab some when I was in Vancouver, BC a few weeks back. All of the lower mainland stores, except one out of the way location, were out. I see it is in the States now, so I will make an extra effort to track it down after your recommendation.

Wiser's Legacy.

B

Funny. I grabbed a bottle of this for a friends 50th birthday gift on Friday. He's a Forty Creek fan so I thought I'd pull him up the ladder a bit.

I may go back for one for myself next week. I had some at the gazebo last year and found it to be an excellent pour.

Funny. I grabbed a bottle of this for a friends 50th birthday gift on Friday. He's a Forty Creek fan so I thought I'd pull him up the ladder a bit.

I may go back for one for myself next week. I had some at the gazebo last year and found it to be an excellent pour.

The Wiser's Legacy still hasn't made it to Chicago but based on that gazebo tasting I am keeping a lookout.

Canadian Rye sold by folks in CA, so i'm guessing it might go here? Masterson's. Loving it so far, much less spice kick up front.

Willet 5yr Rye.... So damn good, no one has been hitting my stash either!

The Willett 4 year is my favorite rye by far.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!