What rye did you purchase today - Spring/Summer 2013

Wryguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bought my first Michter's 10 year 1B rye, barrel # 8E-2. Left a couple behind, I've passed on this many times before, but after reading that it was one of Gary Gillman's favorite ryes and that it is often older than the 10 year age statement I had to bite the bullet and give it a try.

Bought my first Michter's 10 year 1B rye, barrel # 8E-2. Left a couple behind, I've passed on this many times before, but after reading that it was one of Gary Gillman's favorite ryes and that it is often older than the 10 year age statement I had to bite the bullet and give it a try.

Keen to read your impressions of this.

I grabbed a Jefferson's 10 yo 100% Rye today. For me, it compares favorably with the WT101 Rye.

3x HW16 375mL

1x Michter's 25 rye

Came for the Michter's, but was so excited to find more of the HW16 that I cracked one bottle in the store to share.

post-9252-14489819273152_thumb.jpg

post-9252-14489819273152_thumb.jpg

Have several bottles myself but I kinda wish the DSP1 would arrive already so we can make the comparison and decide if it is close enough to live with.

I bought a bottle of Ritt BIB. It is DSP 354.

Knob Creek Rye.

Not enough here to distinguish it from Knob Creek Bourbon. And there are other ryes, like Bulleit and Baby Saz that have more rye characteristics to make them a nice change up from a glass of Bourbon.

Also, I wish Beam was more transparent as to what they put on the label and on their web site about this product. At over $40 a bottle it is not even designated as a "straight rye". So we know it is at least 51% rye but we don't know whether or not color or flavor is added.

3x HW16 375mL

1x Michter's 25 rye

Came for the Michter's, but was so excited to find more of the HW16 that I cracked one bottle in the store to share.

What are the HW 16's going for in your neck of the woods? I passed on some because it seemed steep for a 375.

What are the HW 16's going for in your neck of the woods? I passed on some because it seemed steep for a 375.

$60 according to the price tag, but I talked the manager down to $48. No tax on booze in MA. Helps to be a repeat customer, and to crack a bottle in the store to share. Probably still a little steep, but I love this stuff.

Picked up a bottle of Ritt 25 to complete my older Ritt collection. Really enjoyed this when I sampled it at michaelturtle's house so I am hoping that this barrel is equally as good.

$60 according to the price tag, but I talked the manager down to $48. No tax on booze in MA. Helps to be a repeat customer, and to crack a bottle in the store to share. Probably still a little steep, but I love this stuff.

Wise move, the price was not steep at all. $50 is what the 375s were selling for, the 750s were a bit cheaper at about an $85 list, but those are long gone...well, at least from store shelves.

Picked up a Bulliet Rye, because it was on sale, haven't opened it yet. I had a sample taste at a store about a month ago and thought it was pretty good.

2 WTR 101's from 2004, I assume. Bottom of bottles say "04", and the other bottles I have say "10" and "11".

A couple of High West 21's.

After hanging around on shelves for a long time that seems to be moving off them lately in my usual stores in Atlanta. Not sure what started it. I have one and was contemplating a second but haven't been able to find it at around retail lately.

And when it is gone it is pretty much gone for good I am guessing. Guess I need to branch out a bit and see what is still out there.

I happily bought the last bottle of Lot 40 in a small town in TX.

Fantastic stuff if you've never tried it before. I had thought it was a limite run, but even 8+ months later the LCBO in Ontario had piles of it.

This one is from the original run of it in the 90's. We don't have the new stuff in TX yet. This is the whiskey that got me started on dusty hunting. In the past 2 years I've only found 3, and a couple of good friends have sent a bottle my way here and there as well. I can't wait to try it alongside the new release.

Grabbed a Lot 40, a HW21, and left many more of same behind. Could end up regretting that.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!