What rye did you purchase today - Spring/Summer 2013

Wryguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Grabbed a Lot 40, a HW21, and left many more of same behind. Could end up regretting that.

2012 Lot 40 or the original bottling?

Surprised those are still sitting out there from the 90's. But given what i've learned on SB.com, maybe i shouldn't be.

Love the 2012, if Canada wasn't such a drive i'd swing up and grab a few more for the bunker.

So what's the difference between the two? And there are actually a lot of this particular bottle in a particular somewhere.

From what i read the '12 bottle was the distiller blowing the dust off the old equipment and recipe and making another batch (allegedly limited, but it's all relative given that Pernod-Ricard owns the still it's been made on.

According to the esteemed Mr. Davin de Kergommeaux;

"Former master blender David Doyle and Corby’s current master blender, Dr. Don Livermore had a hand in making the 2012 version of Lot 40. But true to Corby’s commitment to maintaining historic brands and recipes, (Corby’s also makes Wiser’s whiskies), when they thought they had everything just right, they went back to retired master blender, Mike Booth to be sure."

If you're not planning on looting the entire stash, would appreciate the PM so i can sample side by side with the '12 i snagged last month in Canada.

Huh. I'll be durned. So this stuff has been sitting there since the 90s? Ha, my first dusty Canadian. Check your PMs, but if YOU get there first leave one on the shelf for me ha!

post-8673-14489819351246_thumb.jpg

post-8673-14489819350648_thumb.jpg

Thanks you sir, you're a scholar and a gentleman

For reference, the newer bottle looks like;

post-8677-14489819351791_thumb.jpg

crap that looks small on here...basically same logo but they added 2012 edition just below the Lot 40.

Yeah looks just alike and that's why I picked it up! Never noticed the 2012 strip before, duhr.

If you're not planning on looting the entire stash, would appreciate the PM so i can sample side by side with the '12 i snagged last month in Canada.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on that comparison. The 2012 hasn't made it to TX yet, and I'm waiting to open one of my last two 90's versions until I can have them side-by-side.

From what i read the '12 bottle was the distiller blowing the dust off the old equipment and recipe and making another batch (allegedly limited, but it's all relative given that Pernod-Ricard owns the still it's been made on.

Word is that - as long as sales warrant - it will continue to be produced.

I don't know what the previous edition tasted like but the 2012 is mighty good - so much so I bunkered 6 right after opening the first.

I couldn't get into the 2012 Lot No. 40 - I'll have to revisit it though... I've had some bottles become more agreeable after being opened some time.

I'm relatively close to Canada so they'll be an easy get if I change my mind.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on that comparison. The 2012 hasn't made it to TX yet, and I'm waiting to open one of my last two 90's versions until I can have them side-by-side.

Road trip is planned for tomorrow. Tasting notes soon after!

Picked up an Old Potrero Rye. Anyone have a try of this? Thoughts?

Been a while so can't recall any specifics. But a very distinctive rye that generally people love or hate. Not much middle ground. I liked it well enough that I would really like to get a bottle of the Old Potrero Hotalings. No luck so far.

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now. Going rate is over $120 here, so haven't gotten one yet, but would be interested to hear what you think...

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now. Going rate is over $120 here, so haven't gotten one yet, but would be interested to hear what you think...

I will open it up soon and let you know. I paid just shy of $70. A little pricey considering i had no info on it at the time of purchase but that's the fun of this hobby.

I like the Potrero line well enough that I would probably spring for the Hotalings if I ever came across one.

Is it this one? post-9939-14489819355978_thumb.jpg

I tried it the other day. I really enjoyed it, but I have been called a rye whore. Very unique. Enjoy it. Everyone I know has trouble finding a bottle.

No it's not the hotalings whiskey just the straight rye. The talk of hotalings has me interested in that now.

I think it was a malted rye. At least according to my host. I could very well be mistaken as I tasted several different whiskers and bourbon that night. I'm sure their straight rye is tasty as well.

I think it was a malted rye. At least according to my host. I could very well be mistaken as I tasted several different whiskers and bourbon that night. I'm sure their straight rye is tasty as well.

Pretty sure all Old Potrero is all 100% malted rye. The Hotaling's is just the extra aged version. Don't know if they are making more but periodically they release some. I have heard of 11yo and 15yo versions. Rumors has been some 18yo may be released soon.

Lot 40 Original Release thanks to a stellar tip from a fellow SB'er. Opening later tonight and post tasting notes of old and new in separate thread.

Lot 40 Original Release thanks to a stellar tip from a fellow SB'er. Opening later tonight and post tasting notes of old and new in separate thread.

I anxiously await this new thread. I just learned that I'll be in Montreal for a conference next March. I really hope that I don't have to wait that long to get my hands on a bottle of the new Lot 40.

Yeah I can't wait to see how the comparison turns out either.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!