What rye did you purchase today - Spring/Summer 2013

Wryguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pretty sure all Old Potrero is all 100% malted rye. The Hotaling's is just the extra aged version. Don't know if they are making more but periodically they release some. I have heard of 11yo and 15yo versions. Rumors has been some 18yo may be released soon.

After employing a few key rationalizations (Scotch is often this costly, a bottle of wine this expensive is gone in a night, etc.) I took the plunge on Hotaling's.

Label says one barrel and the bottle # is out of 225, so either this was either the absolute last barrel of this experiment or we'll see some older versions in a few years.

post-9888-14489819360643_thumb.jpg

Probably over the holiday; I wanted to give it my full attention and a fresh palate.

Last night I asked if they'd gotten the AE rye in at my local spec's. They had just gotten it in that day, it wasn't on the shelf yet, and at least two bottles of the six they had were already sold. Naturally, I grabbed one.

After employing a few key rationalizations (Scotch is often this costly, a bottle of wine this expensive is gone in a night, etc.) I took the plunge on Hotaling's.

Label says one barrel and the bottle # is out of 225, so either this was either the absolute last barrel of this experiment or we'll see some older versions in a few years.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15916[/ATTACH]

Damn, I am envious! Would love to score any of the older Hotalings to try.

Copper Fox Rye (2/3 rye, 1/3 malted barley). I've heard from the LA distributor that the distillery in VA has closed. Anyone else have details or confirmation? I haven't been able to find any.

Does anyone know if Anchor has moved into the new facilities yet?

It's going to be a while- I think they've started construction but won't be in for a year or more. They're going to keep the old facility as well; not sure where the distillery is going to be.

I was under the impression it was just a matter of moving into the adjacent building.

Thanks for the interesting link Pike, actually I was limiting my comments to the distilling portion only.

Thanks for the interesting link Pike, actually I was limiting my comments to the distilling portion only.

OK, not sure of the plans for that, will have to ask around.

if they move buildings will there be a different DSP code necessarily?

That came from an interview with their head distiller (Mr. Thomas?) who commented about moving the distilling equipment into a vacant building next door while at the same time expanding production. Taking in an adjacent building should not require a new DSP.

Picked up another Hirsch 22 for the bunker

so if you had the choice and could buy only one.....Hirsch 22 or Ritt 21?

so if you had the choice and could buy only one.....Hirsch 22 or Ritt 21?

If you like older ryes you can't go wrong with either but I prefer the Hirsch 22.

I've never had a Ritt 21 but you wouldn't be disappointed in a Hirsch 22. The nose specifically is heavenly. The answer is to buy both, because in the not too distant future you won't be able to buy either.

Didn't I read a thread that suggested the ultra-aged Ritts were not a flash-in-the-pan, but rather a continuing product offering?

As long as it's profitable the majors will provide the product. More Rye is being produced now than ever before and the majors are leading the movement.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!