What rye did you purchase today - Spring/Summer 2013

Wryguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The 16y 4R did sound a little suspicious. I would believe SB members info. Bottom line it's good Rye.

Picked up some Jefferson's 10 Year and Ritt BIB DSP-1 today. Looking forward to trying out both of these, especially a Ritt SBS tasting.

Picked up some Jefferson's 10 Year and Ritt BIB DSP-1 today. Looking forward to trying out both of these, especially a Ritt SBS tasting.

Think you will like the Jeff 10. If so grab a couple more since they are switching to LDI.

Thanks to the kindness of a couple of fellow SB'r, I was able to pick up a couple of these Rittenhouse 21 bottles:

9585998993_d20185beb8_c.jpg

I saw these two and thought "those are exactly what I'd pick up at my store>'. Then I saw you were in VA and it made sense :lol:. I have to pick up a bottle of the Jeff 10 as well before it moves to LDI. I really enjoy Whistlepig and generally don't care for LDI ryes. Does anybody know when the switch is being made?

I saw these two and thought "those are exactly what I'd pick up at my store>'. Then I saw you were in VA and it made sense :lol:. I have to pick up a bottle of the Jeff 10 as well before it moves to LDI. I really enjoy Whistlepig and generally don't care for LDI ryes. Does anybody know when the switch is being made?

Unfortunately Jefferson/Castle Brands have never been particularly forthcoming about where their stock of sourced whiskey comes from. The current rye is "North American 100% rye" for example. Unless it is likely to be a good selling point like the SW stock in JPS 17/18. Then they were more than happy to share the source. So it seems unlikely we are going to get much info from them about when this change over will happen. It may have already happened.

A shame really because their products are generally pretty good. I have bought them in the past and will probably buy from them in the future despite my reservations but will be more likely to wait until I hear what others say about it first rather than take a chance and make a purchase without waiting as I do with others. I really wish they would be a bit more open about what they bottle.

Thanks to the kindness of a couple of fellow SB'r, I was able to pick up a couple of these Rittenhouse 21 bottles:

Congrats on adding to your older rye stock! I know that is an interest of yours.

I wish a kindly SBer would point me to where I could buy a bottle or two (at a reasonable price!). :cool:

Yes, this is what passes for a "sale" in Ontario.

I stocked up.

How many (for me to judge how good you think the juice is)?

Another bottle of Jeffersons 10 year 100% rye (before the switch to LDI takes effect). This is becoming one of my favorite ryes.

How many (for me to judge how good you think the juice is)?

I ordered a half-dozen. It's by far my favorite available-in-Ontario rye. I mean, I prefer Saz 18, Vintage 21, VWFRR, etc... but let's be realistic.

I'd love to see Willett rye here some day. Heck, I'd stock up on Bulleit if I could.

So when all go back up there in the spring how many bottles are y'all allowed to carry over the border?

So in theory even having to pay duty you mght still come out ahead?

Especially if it's something you can't find there.

http://www.canadiandutycalculator.ca/

Fun site/app I found, terrifyingly expensive by the looks of it. I've only ever brought under the limit both directions, so not sure if it truly is that expensive. If so, may not be worth going over the personal limit.

The law hasn't been updated since the switchover to metric. It still refers to old style 40 oz bottles. "Forty pounders" as we used to fondly call them.

1.14L is roughly a bottle and a half, so if you are travelling with your spouse, you can combine your limit and carry three 750s.

The law hasn't been updated since the switchover to metric. It still refers to old style 40 oz bottles. "Forty pounders" as we used to fondly call them.

1.14L is roughly a bottle and a half, so if you are travelling with your spouse, you can combine your limit and carry three 750s.

Over the limit, it depends on which province you enter, some are more expensive than others. Don't enter Ontario with more than your duty free limit. The duty, tax and LCBO penalty add up to almost the cost of the bottle (again).

Not sure what ever happened to "Free Trade" ...

Oh, we're "free" to trade our money for the privilege of transporting delicious spirits across the border! I think it's all in the punctuation.

Not all ryes,but a pretty successful day nonetheless.The Stagg Jr. and ECBP were an added bonus for sure!:grin:

post-8720-14489819729429_thumb.jpg

Great finds, Ryan! Quick question: I have several of the Jeff 10 ryes, but none of mine have the unchillfiltered sticker. Was that a limited release or something? I've never even seen those around. Thanks!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!