What rye did you purchase today - Spring/Summer 2013

Wryguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Jefferson's started out as a UCF'd 100% Canadian then to the chill filtered version and now is to switch yet a again to a 95% American rye LDI/MGPI based.

The Jefferson's started out as a UCF'd 100% Canadian then to the chill filtered version and now is to switch yet a again to a 95% American rye LDI/MGPI based.

Does that mean the stickerless versions are LDI/MGP? I've never seen one with a sticker (or is there something else that might indicate the distillate).

Not all ryes,but a pretty successful day nonetheless.The Stagg Jr. and ECBP were an added bonus for sure!:grin:

Ryan, nicely done!

I've never seen one with a sticker (or is there something else that might indicate the distillate).

My understanding is non USA distillate must disclose country of origin and that information is often buried on the back label.

I believe the switch is in the the works and the 95% is still waiting in the wings,just don't quote me on that as of yet.Most of what is still on the shelves is 100% Canadian just not the "pulp filled"goodness of the UCF'd of yesteryear. If anyone has had one in the past they will agree that it looks like someone shredded a Kleenex in the bottle,but pretty damned yummy to say the least.The Jeffersons UCF'd 10 yr. was a nice alternative to WP,6 points less proof and at less than half the price!

Edited by WAINWRIGHT

Ditto - thanks guys! Jeff 10 is one I haven't bought (yet), but have liked every time I've tried it. Maybe best that I don't know what I'm missing on the UCF version :)

post-8720-14489819730751_thumb.jpgI'm telling you it's pretty chunky and gritty stuff,adds a lot of body to the 100% otherwise thin rye.....I like it!

post-8720-14489819730751_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16528[/ATTACH]I'm telling you it's pretty chunky and gritty stuff,adds a lot of body to the 100% otherwise thin rye.....I like it!

Oh wow . . . that does look nice :yum:

post-9105-14489819733678_thumb.jpg

I never knew this UCF stuff. I saw another bottle somewhere that didn't have the 'Produced in Canada' part after 'Imported by Castle Brands' so I assumed it was LDI. But it sounds like LDI has yet to hit shelves. Does this mean what I saw was Canadian CF juice and the change in labelling was to preempt a switchover in juice?

How does the CF compare to the UCF?

Thanks for posting that pic, Alpha. The last few I bought had the "Produced in Canada", but I have seen several that had nothing in that space, wondered why the omission? I think from the posts above that unless there is the NCF sticker, it has been filtered. Still tastes pretty good though, IMHO.

Thanks for posting that pic, Alpha. The last few I bought had the "Produced in Canada", but I have seen several that had nothing in that space, wondered why the omission? I think from the posts above that unless there is the NCF sticker, it has been filtered. Still tastes pretty good though, IMHO.

Mine does have the UCF sticker. Were the UCF sticker and the 'Produced in Canada' dropped at the same time or did they depart independently?

My purchase yesterday doesn't have the "Produced in Canada", but it is still 100% rye (so to my knowledge, same source as before - not LDI/MGP). I've never seen one with the sticker in the wild, but now I have another thing to add to my watchlist when I'm out and about ;)

Gary could you post a photo of the back label?

This is the side label (no back label). The neck label has a batch number (51 in my case) and bottle number (0789); both of which are machine printed. Wonder what the highest bottle numbers are (that'd give some indication as to how big the "batches" are).

post-7689-14489819734089_thumb.jpg

This is the side label (no back label). The neck label has a batch number (51 in my case) and bottle number (0789); both of which are machine printed. Wonder what the highest bottle numbers are (that'd give some indication as to how big the "batches" are).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16536[/ATTACH]

thats mine as well. No reference to Canada no NCF sticker. Just 100% rye on the front and a private bottling sticker w batch # B-190

The neck labels on mine read Batch#9 bottles 1282,1283 and 1285,the side labels reads Imported by Castle Brands,produced in Canada and bottled by McLain and Kyne.

All this recent talk about the Jeff Rye and the impending change over lead me to buy another bottle when I saw one at $36. Seemed like a good price for this area. I only have one left that says "Produced in Canada" on the side label (Batch 2 for whatever that is worth). Oddly it has no NCF label but certainly looks to have fine sediment in it. The rest have the label that doesn't say Canada but are 100% rye. This most recent one was batch 259!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!