whats your favourite rye?

bjbronwyn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Coming from Australia, we are not blessed with a great variety of Rye's. However on my way back from the USA last month I managed to pickup some gems that aren't available here. Ive been enjoying Templeton Rye, and Bulliet Rye witch I think has just fantastic flavour and spice. Tried Old Overholt also witch wasn't bad for a lower proof whiskey. Whats your favourite? price is no object, look forward to your responses from down under and abroard!

I love lots of rye. I would try Whistle Pig, Jefferson's, Rittenhouse, Baby Saz, Saz 18, and my personal fav, Thomas H Handy.

Favorite ryes would be Sazerac 18, Handy, Rittenhouse BIB and Wild Turkey 101. There are other good ones of course but those are at the top of my list.

The best ryes I've ever had are two that I'm not likely to have again, a Rathskeller and Abraham Bowman, both at this year's Gazebo gathering.

In terms of daily favorites, I absolutely love the Willett 4/5 year 110 proof. Similar to the Willett is the very good Smooth Ambler 7 year rye. I also have 6 or so Ritt BIB 354 in the bunker. That stuff is a dollar-for-dollar champion.

I like the Van Winkle Rye, in fact it's the only Van Winkle I would consider buying, but it's too difficult to obtain to merit a spot on my list.

The best ryes I've ever had are two that I'm not likely to have again, a Rathskeller and Abraham Bowman, both at this year's Gazebo gathering.

Josh, you will make many more trips to the Gazebo, and I can guarantee that more AB will be there

Obtainable-Ritt BIB,Willett,Whistlepig,Jeffersons,Mastersons,Dickel,Knob Creek and Bullliet

Obtainable but difficult to find-VWFRR,Ritt 21,23,25,BMH 23,Hirsch 21,22,25,HW16 and 21

The ultra-aged ryes are always a treat and always prove to be rather elusive,enjoy your rye journey.

In terms of daily favorites, I absolutely love the Willett 4/5 year 110 proof. Similar to the Willett is the very good Smooth Ambler 7 year rye. I also have 6 or so Ritt BIB 354 in the bunker. That stuff is a dollar-for-dollar champion.

Seconded on that Rathskeller. Absolutely one of the best whiskies I've ever had period.

Black Maple Hill 18 year old rye and second to that, Michter's 10 year old straight rye.

The problem is, I can't find any anymore. :)

Gary

Another vote for the Rathskeller here! With a second going to the VWFRR. I am going to try to find a Saz 18 this year as I have never had any. Very curious to see how it ranks on my list of best ryes, I know others like it.

Although very different from each other, the VWFRR and Saz18 are at the top, with the creamier/woodier Van Winkle my fave.

Honorable mention to RittBIB for cost per enjoyment ratio.

Handy and WT101. Wasn't a huge fan of Rye before trying those two (and i realize, very different ends of the value spectrum).

I like the Van Winkle Rye, in fact it's the only Van Winkle I would consider buying, but it's too difficult to obtain to merit a spot on my list.

My favorite rye is probably Thomas H Handy. In terms of what I can run out and buy on any given day, I second the Willett 4 or 5 yr rye. I also like the Jefferson's 10 yr quite a bit.

I tried some Michters rye whilst over there and didn't think much of it. It might not have been the 10yr though. I should gave mentioned that the baby saz, Rittenhouse BIB and the double rye from HW are also pretty high on my list of ryes, Never tried the Saz 18. So spoilt for choice over in the USA you guys! Some mentioned id never heard of let alone seen! Whistlepig was there but too rich for my blood! Look forward to trying the VWFRR soon (I hope).

Another vote for the Rathskeller here! With a second going to the VWFRR. I am going to try to find a Saz 18 this year as I have never had any. Very curious to see how it ranks on my list of best ryes, I know others like it.

You will enjoy the Saz 18. I certainly do. As for my favorite all time rye I know only as Doug's Rye and it was 22 years old. Was fortunate enough to try it a few weeks ago. What is Rathskeller? I have never seem that one. Old bottling?

You will enjoy the Saz 18. I certainly do. As for my favorite all time rye I know only as Doug's Rye and it was 22 years old. Was fortunate enough to try it a few weeks ago. What is Rathskeller? I have never seem that one. Old bottling?

Rathskeller is a KBD-bottled private label rye done special for the Seelbach hotel in Louisville around 2007. It's rumored to be from the same batches of Bernheim juice that went into the original VWFRR13, LaNells, Iron Fist/Velvet Glove, possibly Doug's, etc. It's 24-year old barrel proof and superb stuff.

Back when it was released, a few stores around Louisville got a couple bottles. You can still sip it at the Seelbach bar.

Rathskeller is a KBD-bottled private label rye done special for the Seelbach hotel in Louisville around 2007. It's rumored to be from the same batches of Bernheim juice that went into the original VWFRR13, LaNells, Iron Fist/Velvet Glove, possibly Doug's, etc. It's 24-year old barrel proof and superb stuff.

Back when it was released, a few stores around Louisville got a couple bottles. You can still sip it at the Seelbach bar.

Cool thanks. I believe Doug's was also Bernheim. Bottled also by KBD under a Willett label. I will have to check it out next time I'm in Louisville.

Top of the list has to be Doug's Rye with the green ink. It's just magic.

BUT....I don't have any of that juice so here is my favorite that I could actually pour;

BVWFRR or maybe Saz 18,... but some nights only Handy will do. Then there is the Rathskeller and the Vintage 23 love em as much as the previous three, ....oh and lets not forget the High West 21, that's in a class of it's own ...and I have never regretted a pour of the WT101 or the baby Saz.

I haven't been able to get it for a while now, but I think all in all WT 101 Rye is still my favorite, although Bulleit, Ritt BIN, and the Willetts are all very good.

I haven't been able to get it for a while now, but I think all in all WT 101 Rye is still my favorite, although Bulleit, Ritt BIN, and the Willetts are all very good.

You won't find it in Spec's, but I've seen it in quite a few mom and pop shops in the last few months.

Handy

Ritt 21/23/25

Ritt BIB

VWFRR

I've had an older Willett rye that was pretty fantastic too. Don't remember the age or the proof

Top of the list has to be Doug's Rye with the green ink. It's just magic.

BUT....I don't have any of that juice so here is my favorite that I could actually pour;

BVWFRR or maybe Saz 18,... but some nights only Handy will do. Then there is the Rathskeller and the Vintage 23 love em as much as the previous three, ....oh and lets not forget the High West 21, that's in a class of it's own ...and I have never regretted a pour of the WT101 or the baby Saz.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.