whats your favourite rye?

bjbronwyn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The reason I have not previously responded to this thread is that I am in the same perplexing quandary as Steve. I'll throw in the young Willett Barrel Proof ryes, too. There really has been, and continues to be, some fine rye whiskey produced. If pushed into a corner, I would have to go with something that is currently in production, just because. Therefore, I would have to pick the TH Handy as my favorite.

FWIW, my top 5 list is:

BMH23

Rathskellar

Willett DC bottling - The Velvet Glove

Vintage 21

Willet DC bottling - The Iron Fist

Those are the ones that have really stood out, but rye is what makes this guy happy. Really hard to pick past a certain point, and there are always a few you've never tried. Bitter Truth, LeNell's Red Hook Rye, and BMH15 stand out for me. I'm incredibly grateful though to THH and Rittenhouse BiB for their dollar for dollar bang. I'm actually never more excited than when I'm getting ready for some Handy, cause the Handy makes you dandy! ;)

The Master Distillers at Wild Turkey and Buffalo Trace are on record as saying rye distillation has been increased and there's no reason to think the other majors aren't doing the same.

I've tried THH, Saz18, Bulliett and RitBiB, but my favorite by far is Willett's 4 yr.

I'm quite keen on all of the BT ryes. I'll buy Baby Saz, Saz 18 or THH whenever I see them. There's always an open bottle of Ritt BIB in my cabinet as well.

For me its THH, Saz18, Rathskeller, Ritt, and WT. Maybe in that order but it varies by my mood. Rathskeller is all I drink when at the Seelbach. Has anyone had a Rathskeller Rye in the Rathskeller at the Seelbach. I really like that place. Lots of history and some interesting stories about it. Plus its just cool as hell.

We just received the willett 4year rye on Thursday. It says distilled in Indiana. So no doubt its LDI rye at 110 proof. Curious why so many praise it but not the other 20 LDI ryes? I might buy a bottle and see for myself.

My favorite ryes are saz18, HW21, handy, baby saz, and the new AE rye for a dessert.

I can't think of any other LDI ryes that are NCF and 110 proof, although they may be out there. Could be a part of it.

We just received the willett 4year rye on Thursday. It says distilled in Indiana. So no doubt its LDI rye at 110 proof. Curious why so many praise it but not the other 20 LDI ryes? I might buy a bottle and see for myself.

My favorite ryes are saz18, HW21, handy, baby saz, and the new AE rye for a dessert.

Proof, Price, and versatility.

High proof, for a better price-compared to the others, and can have it straight up, handles a touch of water well, and the high proof also works better in most drinks I think.

I'm in Iowa now and everybody has Templeton in the stores. Cheapest I've seen was $31.99 on sale at Walgreens-which for personal reasons I just think is wrong, and about everywhere else it was about $38.99.

NAS, NDP 80 proof product??? I'm passing. Willett, at least as available to me, is a much better value, and taste, the good ones are very good for a young rye!!

B

LDI rye comes in many guises, may as well have the high octane version.

Wild Turkey Rye 101, Pikesville (as a lower-proof alternative), Rittenhouse, or Knob Creek Rye. The Wild Turkey 101 is absolutely the best though. A shame that da** vodka company that owns Wild Turkey doesn't give a sh** that the 81 is probably the nastiest swill ever made.

Wild Turkey Rye 101, Pikesville (as a lower-proof alternative), Rittenhouse, or Knob Creek Rye. The Wild Turkey 101 is absolutely the best though. A shame that da** vodka company that owns Wild Turkey doesn't give a sh** that the 81 is probably the nastiest swill ever made.

I've refused to buy the 81 on principle. Almost worried I will find it tasty and my principles will be tested each time I visit the whiskeymonger. But I can still get Ritt BIB enough that I can bide my time until the real turkey makes its return.

Pikesville is great booze, amazing QPR, but they've cut distribution back to the bare minimum. Have to get that one via airmail nowadays.

Trust me, with the 81 rye, you won't like it. It's the most foul whiskey I've ever had.

#1. Abraham Bowman (Any of the TPS PB offerings; 136.4, 138.8 or 134.6 prf)

#2. VWFRR

I have only has a few. The selections from the BTAC, Vintage 23 and Rit BIB. It's the Rit that I prefer.

Rittenhouse 23yr is my absolute favorite and also turned me from enjoying bourbon to absolutely loving bourbon.

The WP that Dave Pickerell sourced is very tasty as well.

I like several higher rye bourbons so I am thinking I might want to explore an actual rye whiskey. I will probably want to go with only one bottle right now. Don't want to fork over big bucks for AE, Handy and can't find Baby Saz so I am looking at WT Rye 101 or RITT BIB, mainly because they wouldn't be an expensive purchase. Both are available locally. What would be a good entry in to rye whiskey?

Ritt BiB. It's more bourbony. Would be a good intro/potential gateway.

Ritt BIB, definitely. I prefer it by a good margin over the Baby Saz (SazJr? Sazeracito the mini-luchador?)

After now having the Rathskeller, while it is one of the top, I'm not sure it it makes my number one.

VWFRR ranks up there, with Hirsch 22 and Saz 18.

I think more research is needed. Thankfully, the Seelbach is within a short distance for the next couple of days......:grin:

May the best rye win!

Actually, I think I'm the winner in this game so far.

B

Mbroo, I'd get the WTR101 for a couple reasons: It has more rye flavor than the Ritt, and it's no longer being bottled, so grab it while you can. Also, if you like higher rye bourbons, there is VERY little chance you WON'T like the RittBIB, so you can pick it up at any time and won't be disappointed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.