whats your favourite rye?

bjbronwyn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As suggested, the Ritt may be too close to higher rye bourbons to really appreciate a significant difference. One of the 95% rye barrel proof Willett MGP ryes instead of or in addition to the Ritt and it may provide a better contrast. You can always cut the Willett down with water to say 100 proof and if you don't like it you still aren't out a lot of money and can always feel comfortable using it as a mixer.

WT Rye 101 may have a bit more "ryeness" to it (I don't have enough experience with it to know) but it is still a 51% rye mashbill similar to Rittenhouse, right?

I believe WT Rye is a 65% rye mashbill (with 23% corn and 12% barley).

I believe WT Rye is a 65% rye mashbill (with 23% corn and 12% barley).

Best ryes on the planet - VWFRR and Saz 18. I LOVE Saz 18, but there is something truly special about the VWFRR....too bad it'll be gone forever soon, and it's already so hard to find, I haven't been able to score a single bottle in almost 2 years. Good luck finding it here in LA.

For always available rye - Rendezvous is just plain wonderful.

• 1 month later...
Best ryes on the planet - VWFRR and Saz 18. I LOVE Saz 18, but there is something truly special about the VWFRR....too bad it'll be gone forever soon, and it's already so hard to find, I haven't been able to score a single bottle in almost 2 years. Good luck finding it here in LA.

For always available rye - Rendezvous is just plain wonderful.

Last year, Binny's had a Double Rye and Rendezvous Rye that were aged for 6 months in Manhattan barrels. The Rendezvous was meh, but the Double Rye was magical. All you had to do was drop a cherry in the glass and it was probably the best Manhattan-esque drink in the world. I'm hoping Dave does the same with the Boulevardier barrels. The co-mingling of the Double Rye spice with the sweetness of the Boulevardier would probably be amazing. Knowing Dave, I think its a good possibility.

Of the rye's I've had, I lean towards Ritt BIB, HW Rendezvous, and Whistlepig 10 at the high end. I've yet to have Saz 18 and am not holding my breath on being able to find VWFRR. Another rye I've really enjoyed that doesn't get as much mention is the RR 6 yr.

Love all three. The WP @ $79.95 was the most I've ever spent on a bottle of Bourbon or Rye. Can't take the step to try the WP111 @ $110.00.

It is very evident that all the distillers and NDP's have realized there is a lot of profit @ the high end but I expect a lot of my tasting of all of these will be limited to reading everyone's posts.

Last year, Binny's had a Double Rye and Rendezvous Rye that were aged for 6 months in Manhattan barrels. The Rendezvous was meh, but the Double Rye was magical. All you had to do was drop a cherry in the glass and it was probably the best Manhattan-esque drink in the world. I'm hoping Dave does the same with the Boulevardier barrels. The co-mingling of the Double Rye spice with the sweetness of the Boulevardier would probably be amazing. Knowing Dave, I think its a good possibility.

I will second this bottle. Justin brought some by and it was amazing. Fortunately we had a solid supply of cherries and ran through quite a few pours.

As for favorites, I would have to say Vintage 21 for special pour and Jefferson's Canadian for standard pour.

I think the 1983 Medley stuff is incomparable (VWFRR, Hirsch, etc). Whatever is in Michter's 10 (I suspect some of the latter) is close. I echo the mourning of the passing of the Saz 18 as a tie for second with M10. I just have to make sure I have enough to last until BT starts releasing aged rye.

For young rye, I really love the Ritt BIB (just posted about the DSP-KY-1, which I like a bit better than the 354) and Baby Saz in a tie.

I think the 1983 Medley stuff is incomparable (VWFRR, Hirsch, etc). Whatever is in Michter's 10 (I suspect some of the latter) is close. I echo the mourning of the passing of the Saz 18 as a tie for second with M10. I just have to make sure I have enough to last until BT starts releasing aged rye.

These aren't the ryes you're looking for...

-Ryenobi

=]b

Edited by ChainWhip

Whatever is in Michter's 10 (I suspect some of the latter) is close.

I've been on the lookout for this but need to ask-is all of the 10 year rye the same or are there newer bottlings that contain a different distillate? Should I look for specific barrel/batch numbers?

This is a concern of mine as well and I hope someone can answer. All of the Michter's 10 that I have had is from a few years ago and I'm certain that at least a proportion of it was at least 18 years old. However, if a new batch shows up I don't think we will have any way to know what is actually in it. It could be 10 year old rye for close to $100... I don't see it around any more in any case.

I've been on the lookout for this but need to ask-is all of the 10 year rye the same or are there newer bottlings that contain a different distillate? Should I look for specific barrel/batch numbers?

I look for batches that have 2 numbers and a letter.. this is by far not definitive but the bottles I have pulled with that combo have been really good.. i also look at price, all of my bottles have been less than $65.00 which from wine-searcher price history puts them before 2007.. again not definitive but has worked for me thus far

My two co-favorites are the Handy and the Willet 5 year old.

For low proof easy sipper, its pretty hard to beat Pikesville for the taste or price!

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.