Getting these custom Glenairns for big 4-0 trip

michang5
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Three of my best/oldest friends and I turn 40 the next 10 months. To celebrate, we're meeting up a Dude Ranch in Colorado this weekend. Seven days of horseback riding, whitewater rafting, shooting, fishing, camping, etc. It is going to be epic.

I'm in charge of introducing my these Scotch- and beer-drinking plebes to bourbon.

This morning, I decided to order customized Glencairn glasses for us. A quick Googling led me here and Dave Coffey has been graciously helping me make this a reality.

The gods are smiling on me because Dave lives between the Denver airport and where we're staying the first night, so I can pick up the glasses in-person.

Keeping my fingers crossed that all turns out well and we have the best trip of our lives.

P.S. The attached photo is my own Photoshop retouching job. I expect final product to vary in appearance.

P.P.S. For those scratching their heads... one guy is a Navy doctor, another is wrapping up his Ph.D, the third is a huge Simpsons fan, and I'm a Big Lebowski fan and Chinese.

post-9509-14489819148236_thumb.jpg

Three of them I understand. But shouldn't it be Bart, not Bort, for the Simpson's fan? Or is there a story within the story?

At tanstaafl2: Here is the quickest explanation of Bort --

When this same friend joined my family on a trip to Disneyland last year, we all got custom Mickey ears. His said Bort. Surprisingly only one nerd... I mean person... saw it and said something. It made the whole joke worthwhile.

:)

And thanks, Tony. I'm so very excited.

Sweet glasses and idea.

Also Dude, 'Chinaman' is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

Great idea. I hope you all have a great time. Cheers to you and your friends. Please post later and let us know how it went.

Joe

Curly might like his own glass.

We're planning to watch City Slickers Saturday night. :)

Sweet glasses and idea.

Also Dude, 'Chinaman' is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

I made a shirt last year that says "I am not the preferred nomenclature." :grin:

Great idea. I hope you all have a great time. Cheers to you and your friends. Please post later and let us know how it went.

Joe

I will definitely update and provide a few pics, especially of the glasses FILLED!

I made a shirt last year that says "I am not the preferred nomenclature." :grin:

That's awesome! I already like you...

Oriental anyone?

(before anybody gets in a huff, this is a joke from/by an "ornamental")

j/k

BTW, that's a very cool idea and congrats on your big 4-0.

Edited by ChainWhip

Oriental anyone?

(before anybody gets in a huff, this is a joke from/by an "ornamental")

Sound familiar! That tends to be the term that is used by my fiance's, who is (mostly) a "Chinawoman", family, mostly her mother, and led to my home bar being calld the Tanstaafl Ornamental Bar & Grill. Most of the guests at our party, who are generally "Occidentals", don't know what it means.

Sound familiar! That tends to be the term that is used by my fiance's, who is (mostly) a "Chinawoman", family, mostly her mother, and led to my home bar being calld the Tanstaafl Ornamental Bar & Grill. Most of the guests at our party, who are generally "Occidentals", don't know what it means.

"Occidentals" - I like it! :D

It's all in good fun... It's just I'm "sensitive" to people who are "sensitive" about these kinds of things - living in Seattle, I've never been in a population that is so averse to talking about/acknowledging race. Heck, I grew up in New Orleans and even there people were much more comfortable with their own racial identity & being in a multicultural community.

Here are the glasses. LOVE THEM![ATTACH]15655[/ATTACH]

.........very cool

Three of them I understand. But shouldn't it be Bart, not Bort, for the Simpson's fan? Or is there a story within the story?

Hoping we don't see a later post in "how did you break your Glencairn today" thread :eek:

Thanks, guys!

I had two pours of Blantons (bottled for Heritage Liquor, on sale for $40!; bought two) last night. Everyone else stayed away because they wanted to acclimate to altitude. Wusses.

Plan for everyone to have a drink tonight and take a new pic.

LOL. I guess you didn't watch enough Simpsons

Bort is hilarious

I freely admit I have never watched the Simpsons so I definitely would have missed the joke. I have seen an episode or two here and there but just never seemed to appeal to me.

post-9509-14489819205819_thumb.jpg

post-9509-14489819206084_thumb.jpg

post-9509-14489819206312_thumb.jpg

Elk Mountain Ranch is fantastic. And the scenery nearby is pretty impressive, too. Highly recommended!

As I sit in front of my office computer at 7:15pm I am definitely envious of you guys.

• 5 months later...

Chinaman, the other pics are too fun. Did not see the men of the mountains or y'all with your horses. Hope you have found good use of the glasses since returning home from dude country. CC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.