What non-whisk(e)y spirit are you drinking?

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

(sorry if this is already a thread, but I did not see one that encompasses non-whisk(e)y spirits in general) Gin (St. George Terroir) and tonic tonight, mostly due to needing to use up an open bottle of tonic. Going all right, but I think I prefer this one with a little juice.

• 1 month later...

A lonely thread for sure, so going to add to it.

One of my favorite hot day, before dinner beverages. Well, good after dinner too!

Pint glass of crushed ice, 2 ounces Hernsaint, 1/2 ounce simple syrup, and it off with some water.

Granted, the taste is not to everybody's liking, but simple and lovely on a hot, lazy summer's afternoon.

B

• 2 months later...

I have been drinking Kirkland Tequila Silver this summer. It is 100% agave and is really quite nice.

Sipping on some manastirka slivovitz which is a 10yr serbian plum brandy, very strong and unique flavour, going well with a small plate of various smoked meats

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some sort of German pear brandy thing i found in my hotel vending machine in Germany. Smells like Bruichladdich Organic...tastes like peach jet fuel.

post-8677-1448981993296_thumb.jpg

Again...something with iPhone photos won't rotate right.

Had a little absinthe over the weekend. Had drinks of Lucid, Delaware Phoenix Meadow of Love, and Ridge Blanche. All fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Coincidentally, I picked up my first bottle of absinthe a week ago, opting for the Mata Hari, owing to its reasonable price, high proof, and attractive bottle. I don't have any competitors to compare it to, but I have enjoyed the scents and tastes that it adds to my Sazeracs (the mixed drink, not the product) -- plus, the part that coats the glass and is to be disposed of has very efficiently found itself disposed into Monkey Glands (the mixed drink, not the secreting organ of a simian).

• 10 months later...

As a curiosity, I bought some Laird's 7 1/2yr old apple brandy yesterday, $19. Having a pour with my chicken parmesan. I dig it. An easy sipper, just a little light at 80 proof. Anyone have their bonded?

As a curiosity, I bought some Laird's 7 1/2yr old apple brandy yesterday, $19. Having a pour with my chicken parmesan. I dig it. An easy sipper, just a little light at 80 proof. Anyone have their bonded?

I'm on my 2nd bottle of Laird's bonded. It's quite nice; it has some whiskey character but enough apple notes to let you know where it came from. Its a little hot, but an ice cube or two tones it down nicely. It also adds an interesting dimension to cocktails if you substitute it for part or all of the whiskey component.

It has been a big hit with my friends as well. I brought my first bottle camping, along with a bottle of ER10, EC12, and Ridgemont Reserve, and the Laird's was the first to get finished. I haven't tried the 7.5yo Apple brandy though, so not sure how the two compare.

• 3 months later...

This ones been a bit slow so I'll add to liven it up a bit.

Dinner at the hotel restaurant, not some thing we often do when travel as we like to explore, but when it's great, it's hard to pass up.

Wasn't feeling the vibe for wine, and dark spirits wouldn't fit the taste of what was to come.

So , decided to break out one of the odd ducks of the bar, green chartreuse. A little sweet, herbal, anise, exotic. Plus it looks great in a champagne glass.

Shocked when they came out with about a three ounce pour, a bargain for what I paid. Splash of water to it, and it's good to go.

Paired excellently with the oysters, and grouper. Not to mention some excellent greens.

B

• 7 months later...

Just got some of this myself, partly because I recalled your favorable impression when I stumbled upon it--and partly because it was a good price. After sampling, ended up buying it by the case. I can't believe how easily this could pass for an interesting bourbon, especially as I have had some bourbons with a distinct apple vibe. The wood influence is definitely there, and the brandy is much dryer than I expected. Very versatile, and it is cool to think they've been making this since the 1700s.

The Laird Bonded is now a dusty of sort. The cocktail craze apparently caught them by surprise too. They have run short of older stock and no longer bottle it as a bonded although they hope to start again in the future. Their non bonded version still works well in cocktails though. There is another thread about on here somewhere.

So if you are interested and see the bonded version you should buy it!

I came across something interesting the other day: Prairie Sunshine, a spirit distilled from fermented honey (i.e., mead). It's from a place called the Quincy Street Distillery in Riverside, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago). It's an unaged spirit, with all that that entails, but even so I was intrigued enough to buy a 375ml bottle. Once you get past the expected white dog harshness and feinty notes, it does have an interesting and unique flavor. I was curious because this seems to represent a new (or at least very uncommon) category of distilled spirit: distilled from a "mash" of something distinct from whiskey, brandy, rum, tequila, etc. I would like to try an aged version; I'm sure it would be even better with some of the rough edges smoothed off.

I came across something interesting the other day: Prairie Sunshine, a spirit distilled from fermented honey (i.e., mead). It's from a place called the Quincy Street Distillery in Riverside, Illinois (a suburb of Chicago). It's an unaged spirit, with all that that entails, but even so I was intrigued enough to buy a 375ml bottle. Once you get past the expected white dog harshness and feinty notes, it does have an interesting and unique flavor. I was curious because this seems to represent a new (or at least very uncommon) category of distilled spirit: distilled from a "mash" of something distinct from whiskey, brandy, rum, tequila, etc. I would like to try an aged version; I'm sure it would be even better with some of the rough edges smoothed off.

You might want to check out Balcones Rumble. It's a barrel aged spirit made from honey, figs, and turbinado sugar.

You might want to check out Balcones Rumble. It's a barrel aged spirit made from honey, figs, and turbinado sugar.

Or better yet Rumble Cask Strength if you can find it (which may be hard these days).

• 4 weeks later...

MIL got me some moscow mule mugs for my bday. Apparently these are all the rage right now but i'm not a cocktail guy so news to me. But just made one per the recipe on the mug, pretty refreshing. It's pretty much a dark n stormy with vodka instead of rum.

MIL got me some moscow mule mugs for my bday. Apparently these are all the rage right now but i'm not a cocktail guy so news to me. But just made one per the recipe on the mug, pretty refreshing. It's pretty much a dark n stormy with vodka instead of rum.

A perfect opportunity to try out a Guadalajara Burro (or whatever you would like to call it!). Just sub tequila for that rather uninspiring vodka. Some will muddle a bit of jalapeno in the shaker but I like my burro to have a little less fire in its belly!

Dulce Vida tequila is a favorite choice because it is 100 proof rather than the more typical 80 proof you find in most tequila.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.