What non-whisk(e)y spirit are you drinking?

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I have a bottle of the Craftwork finished in 3 Floyds Dark Lord barrels - is that the one you're referring to? I like that one but it took me a while to warm up to it. A friend of mine, however, loved it.

I'm impressed you have 121 open. My overall bunker is fairly large but I probably only have 60 or so total bottles open (including bourbon, scotch, rum, brandy, etc.)

Yep that's the one, I liked it, of course it was only a single pour, but I did have it right after a pour of VWFR Rye so there is that. 121 which is over half of the 212 total many of which are more or less multiples or different batches of stuff. So it is more a lack of patience than anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Now it's tequila Friday. Partida anejo and extra anejo (expensive!) SBS, and delicious pomegranate sangrita.

IMG_20171103_192850.jpg

Edited by Kane

Picked up a bottle of 5 year Somerset Apple Cider brandy today and having a dram of it (do you have drams of brandy or is it a nip?). 

Pretty damn good. 

More tequila this week. Partida & Fortaleza Blanco SBS. I've now tried everything Partida. Turns out I find aged tequila more interesting, I'll take the mezcal joven instead.

IMG_20171106_190511.jpg

Final pours before bed: Ocho Anejo La Latilla & Ocho Extra Anejo El Refugio. To my surprise, not particularly impressed with either. I've heard that Ocho's quality varies a lot due to the single estate thing, maybe these are not particularly good?

Okay, now I am just spamming, but I am in a really good mood tonight, so one final SBS: El Tesoro Reposado & Anejo. The reposado is vastly superior.

Overall, the first pair wins the night. I am fairly new to tequila, but I can't deny I am partial to Partida and Fortaleza. Even my least liked Partida of all, the blanco, was a hit.

• 2 weeks later...

Jacoulot L'Authentique Marc de Bourgogne Brandy, tonight.   Wonderfully juicy-fruity, but dry at the same time.  Some vegetal notes up front that at first give me pause (I'm thinking, Oh no, back alley tin garbage can full of days old  Chinese restaurant vegetable throw outs) but that glides quickly into a lushness of dark grapes and bit-o-honey.  Interesting (X2)!!  Tinge of caramel at the back of the palate.  The grape-iness (as in grape skins) hangs on waaaaaay into the finish.  Liking this ALOT.  

IMG_4319.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well not a spirit... I am surprised we don't have a wine thread.

Enjoying a Beaujolais Nouveau for a change of... palate? Well, it is not very good, like all nouveau :) But brings back memories of when I lived on the south coast of France and enjoyed this on the Beaujolais day with a 90 degree fall weather.

IMG_20171125_232926.jpg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another cheapo Beaujolais, as evidenced by the price tag. But at least I upgraded to Beaujolais Villages this time, and it hits the spot tonight.

IMG_20171210_223952.jpg

• 1 month later...

Two pours of Fortaleza Reposado today. Big fan of Fortaleza's blanco, but the reposado above^^^ was better I think.

What can I say, this is fast becoming a daily pour for me. Everything Partida is worthwhile, really.

IMG_20171217_214440.thumb.jpg.b09f79e322ca39b1f9dc3cefe56d3660.jpg

The Partida line is tasty, although I remember them being suspiciously sweet and syrupy. I’ll have to revisit and test my memory.

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

The Partida line is tasty, although I remember them being suspiciously sweet and syrupy. I’ll have to revisit and test my memory.

I don't detect anything artificial in it, but it does feel kinda "flat", and that brings the agave and oak sweetness to the forefront. Can't really tell whether it's because this is over-engineered like most mainstream tequilas, or 40% simply doesn't hit right anymore.

With Partida, the piñas go from the field to tate-of-the-art ovens in 24 hours or less-- supposedly resulting in a fresher, cleaner taste. According to Gary Shansby, the distillate is matured longer than required to eliminate the need for additives, colorings or artificial flavors. I just pulled out my Añejo and I think your comment about the low ABV is spot-on. It's a bit like Canadian rock & roll vs. Motörhead.

IMG_8580.thumb.jpg.039906c4727f53cc2e218e0c707f7cf0.jpg

Interesting, thanks for the notes, guys. It's been a while and I'll have to revisit the Partidas. My spreadsheet indicates I don't have any in inventory so I'll order it the next time I'm at a well-stocked (and well-priced) bar.

2 hours ago, Kpiz said:

My spreadsheet

I could use one of these. Is it text only-- or does it include photographic reference as well?

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Possibly…

IMG_8581.thumb.jpg.82ac19c406d67e9cf7a1dd0c5030ca96.jpg

Using the label like a billboard and advertising your margaritas is a red flag I guess.

Btw. I really enjoy your illustrated responses to my questions :)

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Actually, I wasn't aware that additives in tequila is a thing. Any well-known doctored brands?

It is apparently a known but largely unspoken dirty (?) little secret in the tequila world that coloring and flavoring can be used. Flavoring companies have gotten so good at creating very concentrated flavorings that it doesn't take much to have an effect.

According to the linked article it is no longer permitted in Blancos (although it doesn't mean it isn't happening!) but in aged 100% agave it can contain up to 1% of additives without having to make any mention of them to include:

1. Sugar-based Syrup
Syrup, or “jarabe”, is a mixture of different ingredients, primarily for the purposes of creating a sweeter product. Agave nectar, corn syrup, cane sugar, aspartame, sucralose (Splenda), and stevia could all be used as a sweetening agent for tequila. The jarabe can also contain natural fruits and herbs to add aromas and flavors, too.

2. Glycerin
Glycerin is a natural byproduct of fermentation and distillation. Additional glycerin can be added in order to create a more rounded mouth feel. It is one of the most common additives used in tequila. It makes a tequila that is “thin” or watery feel fuller and thicker in your mouth.

3. Oak Extract
This adds aromas and flavors found in an oak barrel to the finished product. When using oak extracts, it’s possible to make a tequila smell or taste as though it is aged longer than it actually was.

4. Caramel Color
Used primarily for the purposes of adding color to the finished product. Caramel coloring has a mildly bitter taste, and is used for aesthetic purposes.

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 1

6 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It is apparently a known but largely unspoken dirty (?) little secret in the tequila world that coloring and flavoring can be used. Flavoring companies have gotten so good at creating very concentrated flavorings that it doesn't take much to have an effect.

According to the linked article it is no longer permitted in Blancos (although it doesn't mean it isn't happening!) but in aged 100% agave it can contain up to 1% of additives without having to make any mention of them to include:

1. Sugar-based Syrup
Syrup, or “jarabe”, is a mixture of different ingredients, primarily for the purposes of creating a sweeter product. Agave nectar, corn syrup, cane sugar, aspartame, sucralose (Splenda), and stevia could all be used as a sweetening agent for tequila. The jarabe can also contain natural fruits and herbs to add aromas and flavors, too.

2. Glycerin
Glycerin is a natural byproduct of fermentation and distillation. Additional glycerin can be added in order to create a more rounded mouth feel. It is one of the most common additives used in tequila. It makes a tequila that is “thin” or watery feel fuller and thicker in your mouth.

3. Oak Extract
This adds aromas and flavors found in an oak barrel to the finished product. When using oak extracts, it’s possible to make a tequila smell or taste as though it is aged longer than it actually was.

4. Caramel Color
Used primarily for the purposes of adding color to the finished product. Caramel coloring has a mildly bitter taste, and is used for aesthetic purposes.

Good stuff. Glycerin isn't such a bad idea, we like a thick oily texture :ph34r:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.