What non-whisk(e)y spirit are you drinking?

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

With all the quinine banter flying around, I opted for a classic morning tonic.

IMG_4064.thumb.jpg.657ce631318de393310ea5b51c77914e.jpg

• I like it 1

Did an early morning grocery & liquor store run. I'm well-stocked for whiskey; wanted to get something fun instead. Looked for a BT Bourbon Cream, failed, grabbed a Bailey's instead. Now sipping that with my coffee while doing my remote meetings. The occasional day drinking is fun.

Edited by Kane

10 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

With all the quinine banter flying around, I opted for a classic morning tonic.

IMG_4064.thumb.jpg.657ce631318de393310ea5b51c77914e.jpg

Dave, is that cork in the cap like soda caps back in the day?  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Dave, is that cork in the cap like soda caps back in the day?  

Absolutely, I think this bottle dates back to the early 60s. The liquid has continued to transform in the bottle over the years— really unusual. Hopefully the active ingredients are still active. 

Pulled out my entire range of Cinchona bark based tonics to ward off the funk. The one on the left is made by a craft outfit in Eugene, Oregon-- which is unfortunately like candy compared to the other storied players…

IMG_4069.thumb.jpg.345c76dba1490ea519a83aaa8377e714.jpg

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Absolutely, I think this bottle dates back to the early 60s. The liquid has continued to transform in the bottle over the years— really unusual. Hopefully the active ingredients are still active. 

Maybe, if you pry it off you’ll find what you won printed on the cap! ?  If the contents are half as cool as the bottle art and the color of the pour, you really have a winner.  ??

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Maybe, if you pry it off you’ll find what you won printed on the cap! ?  If the contents are half as cool as the bottle art and the color of the pour, you really have a winner.  ??

Yes, it is a remarkably interesting bottle-- one of my favorites. Plus, the liquid is remarkable as well.

• I like it 1

Breaking out the big Carthusian guns today… Green V.E.P dosed with Élixir Végétal…

IMG_4074.thumb.jpg.506d0f2e6023dfe3262354497ef401c8.jpg

On 3/22/2020 at 1:41 PM, Marekv8 said:

Breaking out the big Carthusian guns today… Green V.E.P dosed with Élixir Végétal…

IMG_4074.thumb.jpg.506d0f2e6023dfe3262354497ef401c8.jpg

Excellent choices to ward off the demon carona virus!

31 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

The morning tonics continue…

IMG_4094-2.thumb.jpg.fd041fffcb4419609b18f62bcddfaec3.jpg

IMG_4097.thumb.jpg.deaacbb72f12ad55e3c8621526e715d7.jpg

Is that a Ledaig 18 batch 3 on the shelf there? If so it's one of the finest sherry/peat combinations I've had. 

1 hour ago, beasled said:

Is that a Ledaig 18 batch 3 on the shelf there? If so it's one of the finest sherry/peat combinations I've had. 

Sorry, I've only got Batches 1 and 2 of the 18yo on hand… but that'll give me something to seek out. Thanks.

765475508_ScreenShot2020-03-26at11_39_54AM.thumb.png.c3febc43a98692955a48d82a30f681da.png

• I like it 1

More tonic, less sugar. Now that the gym has been shuttered for a week-- burning this crap off is going to take some creativity.

IMG_4100.thumb.jpg.73099624013ed0d34e792d2f3e605e05.jpg

IMG_4099.thumb.jpg.1959d6eb425848db226c017777c36554.jpg

On 3/25/2020 at 1:51 PM, Marekv8 said:

A triple tonic to build defenses…

IMG_4095.thumb.jpg.2bf61e0a90b78d3e282020d8ca690816.jpg

IMG_4096.thumb.jpg.21fa34dfa715c3e50e6278b5645bb91c.jpg

IMG_4093.thumb.jpg.d6d1344fc911276e97cd799cbdfb3535.jpg

So how is that Malort?  Listening to other people, I thought it was some sort of prank.

11 hours ago, PaulO said:

So how is that Malort?  Listening to other people, I thought it was some sort of prank.

Here's an article with some great descriptions, and I agree with them :) 

https://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/May-2018/No-One-Can-Agree-On-What-Malrt-Tastes-Like-But-the-Descriptions-Are-Always-Amazing/

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Vosgar said:

This seems like Jägermeister's Nemesis. And both of them are made from squeezing used bar rags into them at the end of the night..... :rolleyes:

For curious minds.

1 part gasoline + 1 part lighter fluid + 1 part kerosine + a squirt of WD40= Malört

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I've tasted wormwood before.  If you've ever had a Tylenol pill get stuck in the back of your throat - that's a pretty close approximation (except stronger).  The bitter taste coats the entire inside of the mouth, and stays there.  The cave man part of my brain lit up and said, "Hey, I think this is poisonous!".

Wormwood in something like Pernod, that's different.  The distilling process removes bitterness.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:33 PM, PaulO said:

I like the Jeppson's quite a bit-- the sweetness is dialed down low enough as to not diminish the experience. It's always my meal-ender (with black coffee) when visiting Chicago.

However-- it is Cinderella compared to the evil step-sister that is Cappeletti Elisir Novasalus.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I like the Jeppson's quite a bit-- the sweetness is dialed down low enough as to not diminish the experience. It's always my meal-ender (with black coffee) when visiting Chicago.

However-- it is Cinderella compared to the evil step-sister that is Cappeletti Elisir Novasalus.

? ? Are you originally from Chicago? If not, I'm thinking maybe too much Cajun food has affected your taste buds! :D

• I like it 1

24 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

? ? Are you originally from Chicago? If not, I'm thinking maybe too much Cajun food has affected your taste buds! :D

No, but I love the city.

I actually eat the same exact bland meal every day (unless I'm traveling) as not to negatively affect my palate (plus the health benefits)-- I just have a thing for bitter/herbal/alpine spirits.

• I like it 2

46 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

No, but I love the city.

I actually eat the same exact bland meal every day (unless I'm traveling) as not to negatively affect my palate (plus the health benefits)-- I just have a thing for bitter/herbal/alpine spirits.

Do you have any opinions on Absinthe?

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

Do you have any opinions on Absinthe?

Sorry— but that’s not a path I’ve traveled very far down. I’ve been to a few very interesting tasting sessions in New Orleans, but that’s the extent of it. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.