What non-whisk(e)y spirit are you drinking?

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OK, this makes sense now. The Italian licorice arrived and it's no Twizzler-- extremely briny, bitter and brash, with a finish that lasts a good half-hour. Comparatively speaking, the liqueur has the same general essence, but has a subtle sweetness that makes it more approachable. Both the liquid and solid products carry a health warning for those with hypertension.

IMG_4495.thumb.jpg.859a57278fcaa49e8555e36e47fc19c8.jpg

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

OK, this makes sense now. The Italian licorice arrived and it's no Twizzler-- extremely briny, bitter and brash, with a finish that lasts a good half-hour. Comparatively speaking, the liqueur has the same general essence, but has a subtle sweetness that makes it more approachable. Both the liquid and solid products carry a health warning for those with hypertension.

IMG_4495.thumb.jpg.859a57278fcaa49e8555e36e47fc19c8.jpg

Now you can probably get a better idea of what the salt licorice candies used in the Scandinavian licorice liqueurs taste like. They’re nothing like anything made over here. 

Thanks, sounds interesting! Although at north of $300 on winesearcher, presuming the stores even still have it, it makes it a bit less interesting...

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Thanks, sounds interesting! Although at north of $300 on winesearcher, presuming the stores even still have it, it makes it a bit less interesting...

Are you sure that wasn't 300 pesos?

687708397_ScreenShot2020-05-15at10_12_35AM.thumb.jpg.12faa8634034e2c4072eb468f66baf18.jpg

A wacky Steve Grasse/Tamworth product… unique in all respects. Some bitter/sour fermented apple characteristics blended with super-young craft bourbon. The “caramelized sugar“ ingredient listed on the label must be E150a for color, because it doesn't come across as sweetened. Might try this one warmed up.

By the way, it's 80 proof.

IMG_4519.thumb.jpg.d619905a9c75851a2280bfabf3f1745b.jpg

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Are you sure that wasn't 300 pesos?

687708397_ScreenShot2020-05-15at10_12_35AM.thumb.jpg.12faa8634034e2c4072eb468f66baf18.jpg

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to the Disaronno Riserva!

On 5/15/2020 at 11:41 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to the Disaronno Riserva!

Funny thing is, once the initial sample went out-- everyone who has tried it is both hitting me up for more samples and/or looking for their own bottle. I'm in search for a back-up myself, it's really that interesting.

And, speaking of Disaronno… very nice, but too indulgent for me (and only 17% ABV)…

IMG_4531.thumb.jpg.0f0c7688b3154f03adf6643a6e0ca81d.jpg

5 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Funny thing is, once the initial sample went out-- everyone who has tried it is both hitting me up for more samples and/or looking for their own bottle. I'm in search for a back-up myself, it's really that interesting.

Sounds intriguing! Wouldn’t mind trying it but not sure I could make myself buy it presuming I could even find it, especially without trying it first, if the cost is well into triple digits!

Now that life has resumed to near-normal, giving this new 10 calorie, gluten free, zero proof whiskey alternative a try.

Obviously made for mocktail use only-- but they certainly captured the oak, char, spice, and viscosity.

Drinking it neat leaves something to be desired (the complex burn of alcohol).

IMG_4545.thumb.jpg.3880b168d479aca609f891193467b1ff.jpg

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Now that life has resumed to near-normal, giving this new 10 calorie, gluten free, zero proof whiskey alternative a try.

Obviously made for mocktail use only-- but they certainly captured the oak, char, spice, and viscosity.

Drinking it neat leaves something to be desired (the complex burn of alcohol).

IMG_4545.thumb.jpg.3880b168d479aca609f891193467b1ff.jpg

Seems like it is becoming the latest "thing". More and more of this seems to be turning up so clearly somebody thinks there is a market for it! Just not at my house...

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Finally, a Cynar and coffee live and in person at a restaurant. The Craigellachie 13 and Laphroaig 10 with the meal were superb as well. 

6663D4DF-2B6D-4982-B8A4-78A3B1BD8FB7.thumb.jpeg.ba4fd1c27526038fbde33c6a739e8ef9.jpeg

• I like it 2

Unfortunately the NIXTA corn liqueur is not nearly as interesting as the bottle-- a subtle creamed corn tortilla-esque vibe. However, a 50/50 “fajita“ cocktail with Mezcal is really quite delightful.

IMG_4656.thumb.jpg.a9a8a7c8d08989b1fdbc6ae56d39720b.jpg

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Unfortunately the NIXTA corn liqueur is not nearly as interesting as the bottle-- a subtle creamed corn tortilla-esque vibe. However, a 50/50 “fajita“ cocktail with Mezcal is really quite delightful.

IMG_4656.thumb.jpg.a9a8a7c8d08989b1fdbc6ae56d39720b.jpg

Package game is so good on that one.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Package game is so good on that one.

I agree! The Bozal packaging is pretty cool too. I’ve only seen the light brown Bozal bottles in my area. 

Edited by lcpfratn
  • I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Riesling at the Chateau Grand Traverse on the Old Mission Peninsula. A beautiful 4th of July afternoon.

Prost!  Phil 

20200704_142025.jpg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes and yes-- Fernet-Branca and coffee again, finally…

Thank you Wisconsin!

IMG_4765.thumb.jpg.58c6428ee1d3c61e9721d1fca891f49b.jpg

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Yes and yes-- Fernet-Branca and coffee again, finally…

Thank you Wisconsin!

IMG_4765.thumb.jpg.58c6428ee1d3c61e9721d1fca891f49b.jpg

That combo would certainly wake you up!

One of my very fondest memories growing up, were cherry pies made by my grandma and mom. We had a tart cherry tree in our backyard and I was the official cherry picker. I never saw it as a chore, but rather a labor of love. The end result, the pies, were so worth it.

I, as so many people on here, love to taste the local flavors as we travel. Amy and I were in Traverse City a couple weeks ago. The Old Mission Peninsula is 17 miles long and is home to 11 wineries and a gazillion cherry trees. We took the time to visit one, Chateau Grand Traverse, on the 4th of July. 

We did the standard tasting, then purchased a glass to enjoy out on the veranda. We had decided to purchase bottles based on what we enjoyed during the tasting. This was my bottle pick. It is a cherry port wine made from 100% northern Michigan cherries and fortified with cherry brandy, then aged in oak for 48 months. A truly delicious dessert wine. A piece of cherry pie in a glass. 

Prost!  Phil 

20200716_200621.jpg

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

One of my very fondest memories growing up, were cherry pies made by my grandma and mom. We had a tart cherry tree in our backyard and I was the official cherry picker. I never saw it as a chore, but rather a labor of love. The end result, the pies, were so worth it.

I, as so many people on here, love to taste the local flavors as we travel. Amy and I were in Traverse City a couple weeks ago. The Old Mission Peninsula is 17 miles long and is home to 11 wineries and a gazillion cherry trees. We took the time to visit one, Chateau Grand Traverse, on the 4th of July. 

We did the standard tasting, then purchased a glass to enjoy out on the veranda. We had decided to purchase bottles based on what we enjoyed during the tasting. This was my bottle pick. It is a cherry port wine made from 100% northern Michigan cherries and fortified with cherry brandy, then aged in oak for 48 months. A truly delicious dessert wine. A piece of cherry pie in a glass. 

Prost!  Phil 

20200716_200621.jpg

I've never had anything like that but it sounds amazing.

22 hours ago, Phil T said:

Prost!  Phil 

20200716_200621.jpg

Phil, Have you ever tried Heering Cherry Liqueur? It’s a little higher in alcohol than the dessert wine, but it’s also made from real cherries and is delicious!

• I like it 1

Fernet-Branca and coffee in a wonderful Louisville restaurant-- downtown is pretty damn dead.

IMG_4779.thumb.JPG.e6f9e1b2bf13e26197c1179fab12b8f0.JPG

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Phil, Have you ever tried Heering Cherry Liqueur? It’s a little higher in alcohol than the dessert wine, but it’s also made from real cherries and is delicious!

Hey Jeff, I have heard of it but never have had it. I will put it on my "to buy" list. Thanks for the tip!

Prost!  Phil 

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.