What non-whisk(e)y spirit are you drinking?

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Oh really where in Houston?  If you’re here often I’d love to buy you a drink one time when things get to normal.

It was an enjoyable place called Hearsay downtown on Congress across from the hotel. It’d be great to meet for a drink— I’ll let you know in advance before the next time I pass through. Regards, Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Remember when I said I was done buying bottles for the year?  Yea...

I forgot that you can't say that on this board without the bottle goddess throwing a bunch of white whales in front of your path!  

One of my favorite shops near a client is a must-visit every time I'm up that way.  I hadn't been in over a year (thanks covid!) so was excited to check them out.  My heart sunk when I pulled in to the plaza and the store front was gone!  I did a loop only to find that they had moved to a new store three times the size of the original location!! 

They've always had incredible scotch and bourbon selections.  I couldn't even try to grab everything I wanted.  I had to pace myself so that I could, instead, bring home a nice selection of Fernet (6 bottles), Yak (6 bottles), some Scotch (3 bottles), and a few bourbons and ryes that were on my hit list.  

The highlight of this trip has got to be the new-label Redbreast 12 CS that I picked up for $75.  

The Contratto and Luxardo Fernets are the two Amaro that volunteered first.  I'm more of an afternoon coffee drinker, but that can't stop me from trying this now famous combo.  

Dave, you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!  

Really, though, now my wallet is a smoking husk.  Totally worth it!  

Prost!  

• I like it 5

2072381977_fernetcontratto.thumb.jpg.dae76d372ec13674d5e37c0d2f923593.jpg

My 11 year-old is so grown up.  No birthday cake today; instead she wanted these fresh hand-filled cannoli and other assorted Italian bakery goods.  The lightest fluffiest filling and the crispiest freshest shell, kept crispy by hand-filling to order.  Best cannoli I've ever had!  

Some Fernet Contratto and pour-over home-roasted Extra Dark Roast.  I can't believe I've been missing out on this.  The Contratto is amazing and this combination is just elegant!  

Cin Cin!! 

• I like it 5

23 hours ago, Guss West said:

Remember when I said I was done buying bottles for the year?  Yea...

I forgot that you can't say that on this board without the bottle goddess throwing a bunch of white whales in front of your path!  

One of my favorite shops near a client is a must-visit every time I'm up that way.  I hadn't been in over a year (thanks covid!) so was excited to check them out.  My heart sunk when I pulled in to the plaza and the store front was gone!  I did a loop only to find that they had moved to a new store three times the size of the original location!! 

They've always had incredible scotch and bourbon selections.  I couldn't even try to grab everything I wanted.  I had to pace myself so that I could, instead, bring home a nice selection of Fernet (6 bottles), Yak (6 bottles), some Scotch (3 bottles), and a few bourbons and ryes that were on my hit list.  

The highlight of this trip has got to be the new-label Redbreast 12 CS that I picked up for $75.  

The Contratto and Luxardo Fernets are the two Amaro that volunteered first.  I'm more of an afternoon coffee drinker, but that can't stop me from trying this now famous combo.  

Dave, you sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!  

Really, though, now my wallet is a smoking husk.  Totally worth it!  

Prost!  

Excellent-- welcome to the club, there's always something new to discover.

In fact, I'll join you…

IMG_6038.thumb.jpg.da9fb4f5ee8d97dbcdba9e5636b6239a.jpg

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, Guss West said:

2072381977_fernetcontratto.thumb.jpg.dae76d372ec13674d5e37c0d2f923593.jpg

My 11 year-old is so grown up.  No birthday cake today; instead she wanted these fresh hand-filled cannoli and other assorted Italian bakery goods.  The lightest fluffiest filling and the crispiest freshest shell, kept crispy by hand-filling to order.  Best cannoli I've ever had!  

Some Fernet Contratto and pour-over home-roasted Extra Dark Roast.  I can't believe I've been missing out on this.  The Contratto is amazing and this combination is just elegant!  

Cin Cin!! 

GW - my 11 year old daughter is the same way.  The fancier the better.  She's going to get pricey as she gets older. 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have had a few Fernet now.  Two distinct styles so far.  

The nippy, drier, more herbal ones like Branca and Luxardo.  

The sweeter, more cola, ones like Florio and Contratto.  

I love the extra black licorice in Jalinek as well, just opened that one.  

I've really enjoyed mixing them as well.  I love the sweet cola base of the Florio with the Herbal dramatics of the Luxardo to liven things up, 2:1 ratio is spot on for me!  

Fernet has quickly become my go-to nightcap.  Another dozen bottles to try were recently picked up at Yankee Spirits, which had a fantastic amaro selection.  

Cin cin! 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Guss West said:

I've really enjoyed mixing them as well.  I love the sweet cola base of the Florio with the Herbal dramatics of the Luxardo to liven things up, 2:1 ratio is spot on for me!  

Fernet has quickly become my go-to nightcap.  Another dozen bottles to try were recently picked up at Yankee Spirits, which had a fantastic amaro selection.  

Cin cin! 

I applaud your exploration-- nicely done!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Guss West said:

Cin cin! 

Soon we'll have Fernet vatting thread. I love this place

• I like it 3

They had no coffee— so a Lagavulin 16 and Fernet-Branca. Great being back in town.

5F5B6B85-D037-4045-A04F-5B686BD3C2CD.thumb.jpeg.53dfe5abf0ce88d77f90b4a3bc4e5aa7.jpegc

I'm falling hard for Santa Maria al Monte Amaro. 

If this is the alpine style, well then; yodel-ay-e-hoo!!  

Add Italian Alps to the bucket list.  

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Guss West said:

I'm falling hard for Santa Maria al Monte Amaro. 

If this is the alpine style, well then; yodel-ay-e-hoo!!  

Add Italian Alps to the bucket list.  

One of my faves, truly crisp and bitter. 

• I like it 1

Last week at our GBS celebration of Troyce’s birthday, Troyce dropped two bottles of 2000 Lafite Rothschild on the table for us to enjoy.  Minerally and earthy goodness that just exploded with savoriness with the red meat. I don’t expect to ever again have such a fine wine experience.  🥰

045B2249-C36B-4631-A7BF-600A61360E6B.jpeg

• I like it 4

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Last week at our GBS celebration of Troyce’s birthday, Troyce dropped two bottles of 2000 Lafite Rothschild on the table for us to enjoy.  Minerally and earthy goodness that just exploded with savoriness with the red meat. I don’t expect to ever again have such a fine wine experience.  🥰

045B2249-C36B-4631-A7BF-600A61360E6B.jpeg

Dang! Those old Bordeauxs are always such an experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Mrssmokinjoe and Littlesmokinjoe treated me to Fathers Day Dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, “Local Three”, tonight.  Nightcap was Fernet Branca and coffee, AKA the Marek8banger.  😁

7C65E81E-DAEC-4244-A474-090BC2DA6FBA.jpeg

• I like it 3

BT Bourbon Cream on ice. Quick. Easy. Simple. Good. 😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

Opened a few Amaro over the Independence Day holiday, which I extended into a full week of PTO.  

Loving all of these for their own reasons: Amaro Montenegro, Ramazzotti, Averna.  Now buying new amaro on sight.  I blame Dave.  

Really enjoying amaro after a big meal; just the way god intended.  

Cincin!  

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Guss West said:

Opened a few Amaro over the Independence Day holiday, which I extended into a full week of PTO.  

Loving all of these for their own reasons: Amaro Montenegro, Ramazzotti, Averna.  Now buying new amaro on sight.  I blame Dave.  

Cincin!  

Welcome to the club. I love experimenting with Amaro.

15 hours ago, Guss West said:

Cincin!  

The hole gets deeper and deeper…

IMG_6396.thumb.jpg.690502ff39e7d0ba9c7c8b3e3a467f83.jpg

• I like it 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.