What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 2013

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Did a tasting at a friend's house last night.......

Jefferson's Small Batch: Not bad, but nothing I'd run out and buy. I will have to try the Reserve at some point to see if I like it better.

Black Maple Hill NAS: Really loved this stuff and I knew nothing about it until doing some research today. I was surprised about all the controversy regarding this brand. I had no idea regarding all the hype with this bourbon. I read some really interesting threads here from the past several years. I'm glad I tasted it before knowing because I probably would have wondered if the hype had affected my perception. I'll have to try to search out a bottle of this stuff but I understand it's in short supply.

Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch: This was my favorite pour of the evening. Nice up front bite with a perfect finish.

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit: Very good and in my opinion, better than the standard 101. I'll probably be picking up a bottle of this too.

Elmer T. Lee: Didn't care for this at all. It was just too spicy for my taste.

I'm definitely interested in trying those two I bolded (CEHT:SmB and ETL). I can get the CEHT here, but not ETL (hoping to rectifiy that during a trip to Cali next weekend).

I've heard the ETL is big on caramel... Were you able to detect any of that?

Any more in depth notes on the CEHT would be appreciated too. :)

My first pour of AAA 10 year, followed by EW Black (NAS) - both great QPR although I 'd love to get the EW Black at 100 pf+ - paid $11.99 for a 750ml. The AAA 10 yr is also a great value; will be trying to get a few more of these in stock if this is going to go away.

Misery needs company, so I tried to enjoy some 2010 OFBB while my 3 month old bawled helplessly at my side for hours while the wife got a chance to relax out with friends. Now that she's home, I will toss back one more before a gracious faceplant wherever I may land.

I hear you. I've got the 10 month old solo this weekend, while the wife has the four year old at her parents. I almost rather have both, at least I'd draw some sympathy.

I finally got to try Larceny. I'm really liking it. It seems a lot different than the other versions of Old Fitz from HH. It's hard to believe a little more age, and barrel selection could make such a difference. This tastes like a totally different whiskey. Some one on the B.O.T.M. thread mentioned tastes of orange peel and cocoa; yes. And to think, people saying it's not as good as Weller, and the odd packaging, almost scared me away.

I'm definitely interested in trying those two I bolded (CEHT:SmB and ETL). I can get the CEHT here, but not ETL (hoping to rectifiy that during a trip to Cali next weekend).

I've heard the ETL is big on caramel... Were you able to detect any of that?

Any more in depth notes on the CEHT would be appreciated too. :)

Unfortunately, I'm not experienced enough to detect a lot of the different things that I see others post. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to pick up on that soon. I can certainly tell what tastes good to me and I can detect things like heat, burn, spicy, sweet, bitter. At the very least I'm going to start writing notes down from here on out.

As for the ETL, I remember it being very spicy and bitter. Although I do like some high-rye bourbons like OGD, ETL was just a bit much for me. If you like spicy, high-rye bourbons then you should give it a try. I'll be curious to see what you think of it if you pick up a bottle.

CEHT had some initial heat and a nice complex finish. I wish I could provide with more detail than that, but I will say it's one of the better bourbons I've tasted to date.

Thanks for answering as best you could, Jack. I definitely dig OGD 100/114 and other rye heavy bourbons (especially BT), so I should be fairly safe with the ETL, even if it's not quite as sweet as I was hoping for.

I'll hopefully post notes on the ETL in about a week and a half... crossing my fingers it's in stock when I get to Cali. :)

Just got done with my manly chores of the day, cleaning and laundry, and now celebrating with a healthy pour of rHH BIB 6yr.

Helped the in-laws with technology today, now off to some 4R SB.

Beginning a pleasant evening with some Old Grand Dad.
You must buy it by the barrel! :lol:

My first pour of AAA 10 year, followed by EW Black (NAS) - both great QPR although I 'd love to get the EW Black at 100 pf+ - paid $11.99 for a 750ml. The AAA 10 yr is also a great value; will be trying to get a few more of these in stock if this is going to go away.

The AAA 10 Year reminds me a lot of Blanton's at about 1/2 the cost! The proof isn't as high but the taste is very similar.

Pour of BT, getting low in the bottle and yeast is taking over the flavor profile.

Started with VOB BIB and then followed up with EC12. Nice summer evening in Indiana.

I brought a 200ml nip of WT 12 split along on a trip to PA and it is hitting the spot.

Nipping on a bit of 86 proof Yellowstone...wishing I hadn't tasted this as now I want to find more

Rum first-El Dorado 15 and now some HH gift shop EC BP, the 120.9 proof bottling and it's exquisite at 100 proof.

had a crown and coke on ice while sitting on the deck this evening. Will be pouring a glass of 12' Stagg soon in celebration for my newly acquired bottle.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!