What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2013

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I might have to finally try this rye whiskey stuff, it sounds like it might be decent. Is Wild Turkey 81 a good one?

PM me, I'm dying for a taste! Heard it blows all this other stuff out of the water!

I also just left 6 bottles of some family Van Winkle Rye Reserve stuff on the shelves. It didn't say Pappy, so I passed. Plus, 95 proof just sounds like complete firewater.

Edited by LostBottle

I might have to finally try this rye whiskey stuff, it sounds like it might be decent. Is Wild Turkey 81 a good one?
The WT Rye 81 sucks the 101 was great.

Had myself a pour of VR21 last night followed with a pour from a freshly opened bottle of Pendelton 1910. Pretty unremarkable in my opinion. Very thin at 80p. Will try it again later to see if I change my mind on it.

Had myself a pour of VR21 last night followed with a pour from a freshly opened bottle of Pendelton 1910. Pretty unremarkable in my opinion. Very thin at 80p. Will try it again later to see if I change my mind on it.

It is a bit thin but I have found it to make a nice light summer time ginger beer/ale and rye drink.

Just got back from a party across the street. They're pretty good at mixing cocktails, so I had a Ritt BIB boulevardier, the same in an Old Fashioned, and a few other non-whiskey cocktails. They are just across the street after all. :grin:

agreed on the WT80, can't find the 101 around here now. I assume they are just cutting the 101 to meet demand

Edited by TunnelTiger
product id

Nice, Mike. Please throw some notes up here when you have a chance.

On another note, I am so f*cking glad to see hard to find bottles get popped.

On another note, I am so f*cking glad to see hard to find bottles get popped.

Party down with your bad self Mike. Well done. Let us know how it shakes out for you.

Hell of a lineup Michael,I wouldn't have the guts to open all my Ritts at once.Good Show and Mucho Jealous!

The consensus amongst the 5 of us is that the 23 yr Ritt is by far the best of the 3 Ritts. We also had Hirsch 21, angels envy rye, and Bourye. The Hirsch 21 is the overall winner amongst the group!! The Bourye was incredibly disappointing.

The consensus amongst the 5 of us is that the 23 yr Ritt is by far the best of the 3 Ritts. We also had Hirsch 21, angels envy rye, and Bourye. The Hirsch 21 is the overall winner amongst the group!! The Bourye was incredibly disappointing.

Awesome lineup! Thanks for sharing the consensus. Where did AE Rye fall in the lineup?

The consensus amongst the 5 of us is that the 23 yr Ritt is by far the best of the 3 Ritts.

Well that assessment proves how different palates can be. I have always had the 23 as far behind the other two!

Tonight's PacNW heat & my sweet cravings sent me to Angel's Envy Rye on the rock:

9172061190_6cdf4ec37e.jpg

Some Mastersons. Just can't get the curry spice thought out of my head to enjoy it. Plan to replace with a Willet 4yr when it's gone.

Well that assessment proves how different palates can be. I have always had the 23 as far behind the other two!

Single barrel effect? The 23 is young vibrant and very rye forward, the 21 was very muted zero nose and only a small rye punch the 25 is dark and woody almost too sweet more dessert oriented.

Awesome lineup! Thanks for sharing the consensus. Where did AE Rye fall in the lineup?

The AE is a wild card, I don't really know what to think of it... It is also a young rye so throwing it amongst 20+ yr ryes is not a fair comparison

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!