What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2013

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Single barrel effect? The 23 is young vibrant and very rye forward, the 21 was very muted zero nose and only a small rye punch the 25 is dark and woody almost too sweet more dessert oriented.

Can you share the barrel #'s?

Rendezvous with a followup of Wiser's Legacy.

Match went to Wiser's. Just not a fan of dill in my whiskey.

B

My favorite summertime rye is also one of the least expensive...Pikesville!

Ah, Summertime, let's hear it for cheap Rye, tall drinks and pretty girls in sun dresses.

Can you share the barrel #'s?

I think the 21 is from barrel #28(devilighter can confirm that) the 23 yr is also barrel #28 and the 25 yr is barrel #2

Ah, Summertime, let's hear it for cheap girls, tall girls and pretty girls in sun dresses.

Single barrel effect? The 23 is young vibrant and very rye forward, the 21 was very muted zero nose and only a small rye punch the 25 is dark and woody almost too sweet more dessert oriented.

Great point on the single barrel factor. I agree that the older 25 is like a rich desert whiskey. I would give you my impressions of the 21 & 23, but just reverse yours, throw over-oaked in for the 23, and it captures my thoughts exactly. Maybe all that dusty Old Overholt juice you have been drinking has warped your palate - better send it to me.

Interesting theory, I could see how enjoying too much delicious dusty rye can skew my Palate

Hochstadter's Slow and Low Straight Rye Whiskey. Good stuff, but not like any other rye I have ever tasted. Label at least calls it a straight rye whiskey.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

I think the 21 is from barrel #28(devilighter can confirm that) the 23 yr is also barrel #28 and the 25 yr is barrel #2

The Ritt 21 was barrel 28. I concur with Mike about his thoughts on the three bottlings we sampled - the 21 being the least favorite of mine and the 23 being the best. I like his bottle of 25 a lot as well (it made me need to go out and purchase a set of older Ritt bottles), but the proof, combined with the wood make it difficult to drink a lot of. The 23 was a sweet spot, with the notes I loved in the 25, but easier to drink. I am not sure what to think of the 21, and I should note that it was one of two unopened bottles I brought to Mike's which disappointed and which were opened immediately before sampling, while the 23 and 25 had been open for longer, with the 25 being open much longer, so perhaps it will come around.

The other disappointing bottling was a Batch 1 Bourye I purchased earlier in the day. I opened the bottle up tonight, two nights later, and get a much more interesting and vibrant nose than I did at Mike's, even without pouring a glass. I did the same for the Ritt 21, but it is still somewhat muted, albeit there does seem like a monster may be hiding underneath (reminds me of a Barolo that needs some air to shine). It will be interesting to revisit the bottle in the future. This batch was the highest rated by Jim Murray when he sampled all 31 bottlings (how that is possible I do not know!). He called it "salivating, roasty, major", so take that as you will.

Lot 40 and some HW21. Fun lil compare and contrast and good stuff all around.

Lot 40 and some HW21. Fun lil compare and contrast and good stuff all around.

That's the exact same SBS I was thinking about earlier today! Interesting little experiment with similarly barreled ryes.

This batch was the highest rated by Jim Murray when he sampled all 31 bottlings (how that is possible I do not know!). He called it "salivating, roasty, major", so take that as you will.

I am awaiting Robert Parker's rating on the bottle, then I can truly know what it tastes like... The 23 was open for 3 days and the 25 has been open for nearly a year. I have not noticed much change in the 2 bottles and the 23 was incredible the moment I popped the cork...I generally like ryes better when freshly opened, I have yet to find one that gets better the longer it is open... Though this 21 might be different as it seems to need air.

It was. But hardly a fair fight, with the HW being 3X older on average. Still, enjoyed the Lot 40 immeasurably more tonight than last.

I am awaiting Robert Parker's rating on the bottle, then I can truly know what it tastes like... The 23 was open for 3 days and the 25 has been open for nearly a year. I have not noticed much change in the 2 bottles and the 23 was incredible the moment I popped the cork...I generally like ryes better when freshly opened, I have yet to find one that gets better the longer it is open... Though this 21 might be different as it seems to need air.

Somehow I doubt the 23 will make it to a year open! It was delicious - but of course I thought the Hirsch 21 was the best of the bunch we sampled.

It was. But hardly a fair fight, with the HW being 3X older on average. Still, enjoyed the Lot 40 immeasurably more tonight than last.

Started off with the Lot.40'12 (it was better this time around for me as well) - but ended up pouring some El Dorado 12 in for a pleasant vatted experience.

:D

Opened up a graceful old rye today...

9206478350_18bac103cc_z.jpg

This Hirsch 22 Rye sucks... those of you that have them in your bunker should send them to me ASAP so I can properly dispose of this dreck for you.

:D

Enjoyed my first pour of VWFRR tonight thanks to fellow SBers. Lawrenceburg bottling, really delicious and all the accolades are well deserved.

started with a Wilett 21-non rye last night, and then treated with some Hirsch 22yr rye for the finale.

A very nice night.

B

Finished off a bottle of the Jefferson's 10yr last night. I need to do a side-by-side of the Jefferson's, Masterson's, and the Whistle Pig. I've got a bit of a bottle of the pig left, and Jefferson's is plentiful around here, but I never see the Masterson's in Austin.

I'm new to Rye. Just opened Russel's Reserve 6yr. Seem's pretty good to me. Guess I'll try a few more ryes soon. I wasnt expecting to like the peppery taste.

On to some Masterson's today. Not bad, but won't be buying again at that $.

I'm new to Rye. Just opened Russel's Reserve 6yr. Seem's pretty good to me. Guess I'll try a few more ryes soon. I wasnt expecting to like the peppery taste.

I've learned the pepper taste depends greatly on the brand/product. I feared Rye at first due to some bad experience with Old Overholt. Took a second chance and glad i did.

I'm new to Rye. . . . I wasnt expecting to like the peppery taste.

No one expects the peppery taste. Or the soft comfy chair.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!