What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2013

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Back into the Rendezvous again.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Opened a Hirsch 25 tonight and find it to be much like the Ritt 25 it is very dark heavy and sweet also has a surprising amount of punch left from the rye.. I am guessing much like my Ritt 25 bottle this one will take a long time to finish

Willett Single barrel Rye 5 years old/110 proof. Mighty good stuff..

On the back porch with a nice full bodied Corona and drinking the Ritt BIB 100 proof you guys have been mentioning. It stands up real nice to the full flavour of the cigar. Is the Ritt BIB just a "starter" Rye and they only get better from here?

On the back porch with a nice full bodied Corona and drinking the Ritt BIB 100 proof you guys have been mentioning. It stands up real nice to the full flavour of the cigar. Is the Ritt BIB just a "starter" Rye and they only get better from here?

Sampled a Willett 4 and a Son of Bourye tonight. Never had the original Bourye but this was very drinkable. And the W4 was very good LDI.

Yes and no. Ritt's a great pour, but it's the most bourbon-esque rye you'll find. I'd recommend looking into a High West Double Rye or Willett 4 or 5 year Straight Rye next.

Thanks. The Willett 4 gets a lot of good reviews here, so that'll be next.

Oh, and the "Corona" was not a beer. It should have been a "corona", which is a size of cigar. As I said, the Ritt was tasting REAL good........;)

Sampled a Willett 4 and a Son of Bourye tonight. Never had the original Bourye but this was very drinkable. And the W4 was very good LDI.

Personally I think the Bourye is superior to its progeny. But it is essentially becoming a dusty as HW is out and what is on the shelves (or lost in the back corner of a distributors warehouse somewhere, which apparently happens a lot!) is supposedly all that is left.

Edited by tanstaafl2

After tasting the SOB, if the Bourye is better then I would definitely buy if found. Overall very impressed w HW products.

Rendezvous tonight. With the continuation of the cold, and reduced smell, I thought it be best to try and work through more of this "dill" bomb.

First rye where this really shines. Just not a big fan.

B

Having a nice pour of THH. And thanks goes out to a fellow SB'er for helping me acquire several bottles of rye I have been looking for (thanks again!). It's always good to have friends.

A small pour of Dusty OO and a few pours from a Dusty Pikesville... The Pikesville is now growing on me.. seems to be getting spicier the longer it is open

Low level Dickel Rye pour. Most of the 'strange' flavors have vanished. Less character, but not less tasty. I will be giving my next bottle some early air time.

Having another pour of THH again tonight. It had been awhile since I had some, but when I did, I was reminded of how good it is. The last of this bottle won't last long!

Some 90's era Lot 40 mixed with Tap 357. Sweet, sweet Canadian flavour.

Did a mini vertical this evening of Masterson's,Jefferson's and WP100.I was a little surprised that the Jefferson's overtook the Masterson's by such a wide margin to my own tastes,yet the WP was far and away the outright favorite.The nose on the Masterson's is the most complex of the three but that is where its advantage ends.The Jefferson's I found to be the sweetest and most delicate of the bunch,WP just has the best of both worlds.

Did a mini vertical this evening of Masterson's,Jefferson's and WP100.I was a little surprised that the Jefferson's overtook the Masterson's by such a wide margin to my own tastes,yet the WP was far and away the outright favorite.The nose on the Masterson's is the most complex of the three but that is where its advantage ends.The Jefferson's I found to be the sweetest and most delicate of the bunch,WP just has the best of both worlds.

That sounds about right to my taste memory too Ryan except the sweet and delicate and almost half the cost of WP has me favoring the Jeff.

I really would have to agree if price is taken into consideration as well but I was being open minded price irrelevant for this very purpose and yes WP is better,but no not twice as good.All things considered it was a fun little experiment and I'm glad I did it,the main thin it proved to me is that Masterson's far and away is the worst value of the three by a long shot.The Masterson's had a off bitter note and not related to rye spice that was just off and remained from mid-palate on.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!