What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2013

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm sorry guys. I'm new and the "WP" is not on the frequently used abbrev. list?

I'm sorry guys. I'm new and the "WP" is not on the frequently used abbrev. list?

Just a small taste of Ritt BIB. Maybe not so small. :-) It should be a nice, quiet Saturday evening.

Edited by BillP

Jeff 10 on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon. Josh's notes pretty well nailed this one.

Jeff 10 on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon. Josh's notes pretty well nailed this one.

Thanks! The VBT process was a lot of fun. Trying to recreate the experience with words is a lot harder than it seems.

+1. First taste of the Jeff10 while grill prep underway. At $26 it is an Old Dusty Best Buy.

Popped open a Willett 25 year rye and had two pours.

Probably do a side by side with H25rye tomorrow.

va2e9u3u.jpg

ezera4av.jpg

I appreciate the sentiment, but 25 years in oak has a way of sending spirits in different directions.

If I've done my homework right(including a plethora of info on this site) the source juice for both of those is the same.

If I've done my homework right(including a plethora of info on this site) the source juice for both of those is the same.

They could be from 2 sources and every 25 yr rye I have ever tasted has been completely different, even those from the same source. I would guess that is why KBD has split these stocks up into 4 separate brands and sent many other single barrels out under various names.. Too many different flavor profiles to make consistent batches

Popped open a Willett 25 year rye and had two pours.

Probably do a side by side with H25rye tomorrow.

What did you think? I just acquired 2 bottles from 2 different barrels..

They could be from 2 sources and every 25 yr rye I have ever tasted has been completely different, even those from the same source. I would guess that is why KBD has split these stocks up into 4 separate brands and sent many other single barrels out under various names.. Too many different flavor profiles to make consistent batches

Michael, thanks. I was oversimplifying trying to keep this straight in my mind. So the Hirsch 22 is likely Medley stock as are the 25's but to your point single barrels and wide flavor variations?

What did you think? I just acquired 2 bottles from 2 different barrels..

Will do a side by side tonight with H25r.

First impression, I think it is similar but slightly different, a little hotter going down and almost younger and less balance. The nose is very nice with a little more sweet licorice sense but not as deep and amazing as H25R but similar. The good news is I didn't think it is overaged or too woody, but note, at the moment H25R is my favorite and still think I like that better. But a side by side is always more important to compare.

Initial impression, this is definitely better than the Saz18 2012 as well which I think is good but not in the same league at least for me.

6e2epu6a.jpg

Here is an interesting diagram I found on the intraweb, keep in mind that this is purely speculation.. The willett 25 could be either of the stocks as KBD owned barrels of each.. I disagree about the Vintage being from Medley as The Vintage to me is more along the lines of a woodier saz18

Here is an interesting diagram I found on the intraweb, keep in mind that this is purely speculation.. The willett 25 could be either of the stocks as KBD owned barrels of each.. I disagree about the Vintage being from Medley as The Vintage to me is more along the lines of a woodier saz18

I hope you are wrong about the Vintage line. :) I didn't think Saz18 is all that great, very good, but not great to me. With all the rave review, I am hoping the Vintage is more similar to Medley which is just amazing. I will open up a Vintage 23 tonight then try as well. Just the nose, is clearly different; Saz18 nose is nothing compare to H22/25R/PVWFRR and the W25r is close. I did a Saz18-2012 against the H22R, and there is no comparison at all.

Thanks

Hugh

I find the Vintage line to be my least favorite of the ultra aged rye category, the V21 is incredibly woody and to my palate the wood over runs any rye punch. The Saz 18 still has the rye punch I love with just a hint of wood which works well for me. I also find the Vintage Ryes to be thinner like the Saz 18 where the Hirsch is very dark and almost syrupy which is why I lean towards the Vintage series coming from different stocks.

Michael, that chart is what was on my mind when I posted about the Hirsch, Vintage and (presumably) the Willett being from the same stock-Medley. But I certainly get the point that single barrels even from the same source and same year can be markedly different. Particularly over a 25 yr timeline.

And good info from both you and Hugh. Thanks!

Dunno about any sources, but it's all (delicious) rye to me. I'd like to put it out there that what's to say that COK and Medley weren't mingled for brands other than the VWFRR. I for one think that the Vintage 21 is a mingling of Medley and COK, but the truth is we'll never know. I'm just grateful for all the opportunities for exploration, experimentation and speculation. It's part of what makes the whole thing fun. :cool:

Having a healthy pour of VWFRR to celebrate my upcoming vacation :grin:.

I have enjoyed reading the posts about the sources of the older ryes, which I love. I have never tried the Hirsch ryes (or even seen them for sale), but they sound delish!

Did a side by side between the Willett 25 year rye and Hirsch 25 year rye. Note H25R was my favorite and I'm also one who like aged rye and bourbon.

Also, from yesterday fresh bottle to today, it's actually quite a bit different. Also, side by side comparison to me is more direct and less subjective if that is possible.

So, in summary, they are almost identical!! This W25R is differently a Medley.

The color almost the same, perhaps the W25r is very slightly darker amber. Both very deep and mesmerizing. Nose, clearly a heavenly Medley nose. So wondrous that it's enough just to nose it. Taste and finish is balance, complex, some nice wood with nice mature sophistication.

I taste sips one first then the other first probably ten times and can't pick up any difference. In a true blind tasting, I think I won't be able to tell the difference.

qa8uhype.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!