What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2013

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A lovely ginger zinger with some Ritt BIB - very refreshing for a Sunday afternoon (not that I've been out working or anything - but hey, everyone wants to be refreshed!)

My first pour of HW Double Rye. Man this is better than i expected. This being a blend of old and new Rye, i may have to find some older Rye after all. That pepper kick is just awesome!

If you find some older stuff and don't have to give your firstborn for it do so as they are scarce. Also I would try the HW Rendezvous. It's a blend of 16 ( a different one than in the DR) and 6.

My first pour of HW Double Rye. Man this is better than i expected. This being a blend of old and new Rye, i may have to find some older Rye after all. That pepper kick is just awesome!
HW kills my theory of never buying something from a NDP. Evey bottle I've opened is golden.

Had a couple of sips of Willett 3yr rye last night but it just tasted so bad that I had to quit sipping it. I took a few sips when I first bought it and had the same reaction. It's been sitting for a few months now but flavor hasn't changed much for the better. I wonder if I got a bad bottle since there are quite a few that seem to really enjoy this. This is my first time tasting this young willett rye as well. So, maybe it's just not for me.

HW kills my theory of never buying something from a NDP. Evey bottle I've opened is golden.

You're not kidding, while i revisit the Double Rye tonight i'm remembering the Son of Bourye and the Campfire i had last year. Both solid products, with the Campfire just being a real unique blend. I'm springing for the Rendevouz Rye when this bottle runs out to try some of their older aged product.

It actually makes me happy that they do such good work. I hate to think that there's no place at all for an NDP. I mean, LDI and MGP make SO much spirit, I hate to think that it ALL goes on to finish its life as mediocre whiskey.

post-9650-14489819665077_thumb.jpg

Here was tonight's lineup. Actually we booted the Baby Saz as an unfair comparison. Otherwise a stellar aged rye grouping and the Willetts were in a dead heat as the winners with the Doug/Neal version maybe ahead by a nose. Probably unfair in terms of proof for the Hirsch/VWFRR/BMH but fun to sample them all.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16427[/ATTACH]

Here was tonight's lineup. Actually we booted the Baby Saz as an unfair comparison. Otherwise a stellar aged rye grouping and the Willetts were in a dead heat as the winners with the Doug/Neal version maybe ahead by a nose. Probably unfair in terms of proof for the Hirsch/VWFRR/BMH but fun to sample them all.

That is a really beautiful sight. If you have these bottles on hand for another round of tasting, I'd be interested to here how the Willetts compare after being proofed down to say 95 proof. Though those Willetts are eminently drinkable neat, it'd be a cool experiment. Bet that was a fun night!

Also to give credit where it is fully due, I provided only one of the bottles. My generous host bucky1 filled out the lineup and participated in the tasting. We both agreed on the results.

Also to give credit where it is fully due, I provided only one of the bottles. My generous host bucky1 filled out the lineup and participated in the tasting. We both agreed on the results.

I hope your bottle wasn't the Baby Saz! :D

And, in the spirit giving credit, those were probably Dawn's bottles... :lol:

I hope your bottle wasn't the Baby Saz! :D

No, I held up my end of the deal better than that!

And, in the spirit giving credit, those were probably Dawn's bottles... :lol:

Shhhhhhhh. She wasn't home. And hopefully isn't reading this.:grin:

No, I held up my end of the deal better than that!

Shhhhhhhh. She wasn't home. And hopefully isn't reading this.:grin:

While the cat's away, the mice will play...:lol:

Michael, we laid down the gauntlet last night but you picked it up and ran with it. Nicely done!

Decided to try the Fleischmann's again last night. Still watery but the flavor was better. Did it improve after being opened and getting some air or were my taste buds in better shape? Regardless, it was enjoyable

The rye forum is blowing up these days! People are posting some great photos with what is, in my opinion, some of the best American whiskey ever bottled. I especially love that these bottles are shown open and half empty.

The rye forum is blowing up these days! People are posting some great photos with what is, in my opinion, some of the best American whiskey ever bottled. I especially love that these bottles are shown open and half empty.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!