What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2013

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some Jefferson's 10 before heading out to a work event. A really tasty rye, and the price is right.

Lovin' on one of my favorite combos...Baby Saz paired with a fudgesicle...:yum:

Lovin' on one of my favorite combos...Baby Saz paired with a fudgesicle...:yum:

This somehow sounds oddly compelling.

Alternating bites of the fudgesicle with sips of Baby Saz is sooooo gooood. Really nice on a warm muggy night like last night, but also good in the cooler weather in front of the outdoor fireplace. The flavors really do complement each other.

If TomH doesn't do his World Famous Stagg Bananas Foster at KBF, maybe I'll provide this not-so-famous alternative...:D

Some SA 7yr Rye. I really am starting to think it's a seasonal thing...i stepped back and looked at my open shelf and it's somehow shifted to 50% Rye.

Did a blind tasting, of Rittenhouse, Wild Turkey Rye 101, Willet 4 yr rye, and basic Sazerac. I've tasted each spirit before, but not in a four-way comparison. Mom set-up the glasses (although probably didn't pour enough), while I meditated in the other room. Thanks Mom! I smelled and tasted through the line, ranking the four spirits, and then attempted to identify each. Blind rankings were as follows: #1, Rittenhouse DSP-KY-354, #2, Wild Turkey Rye 101, #3, basic Sazerac, #4, Willet. I enjoyed both #1 (Rittenhouse) and #2 (Wild Turkey) and did not care for basic Sazerac or the Willet. I correctly identified the two losers, but misidentified (swapped) Rittenhouse and Wild Turkey Rye.

Trying a 1:1 vatting of Hirsch22:Saz18 tonight - results are promising (interestingly, this blend is spicier than the individual whiskies on their own) and I've got another 200ml of this blend squirreled away to mingle & cohabitate for a few of weeks.

Edited by ChainWhip

Trying a 1:1 vatting of Hirsch22:Saz18 tonight - results are promising (interestingly, this blend is spicier than the individual whiskies on their own) and I've got another 200ml of this blend squirreled away to mingle & cohabitate for a few of weeks.

Interesting. If the educated guesses on here and the WhiskeyObsessive's Venn diagram are accurate you should have created VWFRR. Let us know what you find and if you can do a SBS w your vatting and some VW rye that would be cool.

Interesting. If the educated guesses on here and the WhiskeyObsessive's Venn diagram are accurate you should have created VWFRR. Let us know what you find and if you can do a SBS w your vatting and some VW rye that would be cool.

I enjoyed both #1 (Rittenhouse) and #2 (Wild Turkey) and did not care for basic Sazerac or the Willet. I correctly identified the two losers, but misidentified (swapped) Rittenhouse and Wild Turkey Rye.

Did a blind tasting, of Rittenhouse, Wild Turkey Rye 101, Willet 4 yr rye, and basic Sazerac. I've tasted each spirit before, but not in a four-way comparison. Mom set-up the glasses (although probably didn't pour enough), while I meditated in the other room. Thanks Mom! I smelled and tasted through the line, ranking the four spirits, and then attempted to identify each. Blind rankings were as follows: #1, Rittenhouse DSP-KY-354, #2, Wild Turkey Rye 101, #3, basic Sazerac, #4, Willet. I enjoyed both #1 (Rittenhouse) and #2 (Wild Turkey) and did not care for basic Sazerac or the Willet. I correctly identified the two losers, but misidentified (swapped) Rittenhouse and Wild Turkey Rye.

Pretty much what WO said... it does taste a bit like VWFRR but a tad spicier with more wood influence.

I have done this very thing and it actually does remind me of VWFRR. Though it tastes a bit older, which I guess we can expect (I think the VWFRR components were tanked at ~18y, right) anyway, I think it is a very, very good combination. One thing I also noticed is that even a tiny bit of the Hirsch 22 really improves the bit of thin-ness that I find the only fault of the Saz 18.

I'll have to adjust the vatting to a 2:1 or 3:1 (Saz18:Hirsch22) and see how that works out... I'm also tempted to add a splash of THH just because ;-)

I'm having an equal mix of WT 101, Willett 4 yr 110, Baby Saz and Ritt BIB. It's been mingled about 2 months and I think it is awesome. Has the willett nose but the mouthfeel is creamy and smoothed out by the Ritt and Baby Saz. Definitely going to mingle this again.

Little pours of Hirsch22, Michter's 10, & Willett 24 47% - I think these Willett 24's are the best ryes I've ever tasted

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!