What Rye Are You Drinking? Summer 2013

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

friend kindly shared Willett 23 "Iron Fist" and it was awesome. My first taste of this stuff. Super excellent!

friend kindly shared Willett 23 "Iron Fist" and it was awesome. My first taste of this stuff. Super excellent!

OMG. You have a great friend. That is an amazIng pour. Extremely hard to come by.

yes, a good friend. and that 23 is an amazing pour, awesome, and many other adjectives that begin with "a" ... and now we can start a list with words that begin with "b"

Had an enjoyable blind 4-way with BMH 18yrs (barrels R70 & R77), Saz 18 (2011 release), and for kicks - Ritt BIB DSP-1. The color and nose quickly separated the Ritt from the rest, and grouped the two BMHs together. I definitely prefer the BMH over the Saz 18. The BMH has a more creamy mouthfeel, and seems to have a better balance between the fruit, spice and wood (at least for my palate). I actually found the Saz 18 to be too dry, and on the palate liked the Ritt BIB better (it wasn't more complex obviously, but I enjoyed it better). I was trying to determine if the BMH might be Saz juice or HH (which is why I included the Ritt), and it definitely is closer to the Ritt. I find that also has a more creamy mouthfeel than the Saz. Thankfully barrels R70 and R77 were virtually identical. I tasted them in different orders, and picked the second one I tasted each time :lol: After 4 rounds, I decided I couldn't pick between the two - both are excellent representations!

Today, yes, as was yesterday and I have great expectations for tomorrow as well.

You have got me there. Everyday is good for drinking some good bourbon and rye.

Some WTR101 and AE Rye shared with friends on this much cooler and glorious day,AE was seen as a novelty and the WTR was quite well received.I hate to admit I'm a big fan of the AE for its unique quality alone,great niche market pour indeed.

Finishing off a bottle of HW Double Rye, and managed to buy a taste of HW21 Rye today. Hell of a kick, glad i tried, but not my thing. Too much bite.

A little tasting we put together tonight with LostBottle & Chris24:

9681391711_86bb03998e_c.jpg

I was surprised that I actually liked the Ritt23 - not as good as the Ritt21 but held its own.

Ritt order for me (favorite on down):

21=>23/25 (tied)

Hirsch order:

22=>21=>25

Between the Willett24's, 55% won over the 47%

Strangely, the Willett24's don't taste like Medley nor CoK to me - I wonder what the source of these ryes are?

A little tasting we put together tonight with LostBottle & Chris24:

9681391711_86bb03998e_c.jpg

I was surprised that I actually liked the Ritt23 - not as good as the Ritt21 but held its own.

Ritt order for me (favorite on down):

21=>23/25 (tied)

Hirsch order:

22=>21=>25

Between the Willett24's, 55% won over the 47%

Strangely, the Willett24's don't taste like Medley nor CoK to me - I wonder what the source of these ryes are?

Oh I wouldn't doubt that, my comment really applies to long barrel aging. I think for the most part Bourbon and ryes stay in their original barrels but even if they are rebarreled or consolidated I believe long aging creates a different character in the spirit.

The first time I tasted Elijah Craig 18 year old it occurred to me it had more in common with an old cognac than a younger, balanced Bourbon.

Gotcha... Even so, I can taste the family resemblance in many of the rye verticals (different barrels and what not) we've been doing.

I will have to say that the Willett24/55% rye is my favorite aged rye that I've personally owned and opened to date.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!