What Cocktail are you Enjoying Summer '13?

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll start this one off with a wonderful twist on an old classic, the Whiskey Sour. I'm working on my second New York Shrub.

1 1/2 oz rye

3/4 oz lemon juice

1/2 simple syrup (I actually used poppy syrup)

1 teaspoon balsamic reduction

Shake w crushed ice. Strain onto rocks.

The balsamic reduction couldn't be simpler and adds an unexpected tang to the drink. I thought I was over sours but this has me rethinking my position. I can see enjoying these all summer.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/12/new-york-shrub-peels-cocktail-rye-whiskey-balsamic-recipe.html

-Mike

I had my first Manhattan today.

Saltgrass Steakhouse had a little placard on the table advertising the "Woodford Maple Manhattan" with seet vermouth, a dash of bitters, made especially for Saltgrass.

I have to admit, it was very good, and paired well with my prime rib.

Recently, I've been making a variation on a Sazerac by mixing 1/2 oz. Breckenridge Bitters with a shot of rye. Tonight I compared this using Wild Turkey Rye 101 and Rittenhouse BiB Rye. I'll be comparing these straight up soon, but based on these cocktails I find the WTR to be sweeter and milder while the RR has more of the rye spice I prefer without too much sweetness. I'm almost done with my WTR101, but I don't think I'll miss it too much.

No name for it, but took:

3 oz club soda

2 oz 1792 RR

2.5 oz Ginger Zinger mix (locally produced, all natural mixer of ginger, lime juice, and sugar cane juice)

Sort of like a fresh ginger-ale type feel, but more refreshing and light.

Something I've been playing around with:

1.5oz rye (used wp10)

1oz Aperol

0.25oz St. Germain

4 drops bittermans Boston bittahs

stirred over ice, served over a rock +/- lemon twist

Negroni variant using Punt e Mes. Don't really care for Negronis. The Punt e Mes makes this good for me. A no-brainer if you like Campari and gin but can't seem to wrap your head around a Negroni.

Fresh market frut berries landed in my area, raspberries, cherries, blueberries, strawberrries....

It means one thing only it is time for whiskey cobblers!!!

John Cameron Cocktail - something I picked up from one of the bartenders at Rob Roy in Seattle:

2-3 dashes Reagans orange bitters

0.5oz Islay scotch (needs to be very peaty - I used Laphroaig 10)

2oz Carpano

stirred, over a rock

amazing... like alcoholic barbeque sauce.

A couple of cocktails last night at dinner in addition to exploration of a variety of bottles that I brought with me. Helps that the bar manager is a friend and it helps even more that I share everything I bring with her! In addition to my two new arrivals from Holland I had AE Rye, Ratafia de Champagne and two port style wines, Malamado, a malbec from Argentina and Sand-Reckoner, a fortified zinfandel from the middle of nowhere in Arizona (Willcox, AZ). Who knew there were so many winerys in SE AZ? And that one makes a port!

First cocktail was an Allegheny. I keep forgetting to get a picture of the menu but it is a sous vide cocktail (basically slow cooked for 2 days at low temperature) with ER10SB bourbon, lemon juice, fresh blackberries and probably another ingredient or two. The blackberries basically explode during the cooking and the juice melds with everything else. Delightful!

Also had a Maloney No. 2 which is credited to John Durr in Louisville, KY.

1.5 oz BIB bourbon (Evan Williams I think)

1.5 oz sweet vermouth (my go to is Carpano. Cocchi di Torino is in the original recipe)

0.75 oz of the ever popular Cynar

0.5 ox of Luxardo maraschino liqueur

I had it up with an orange twist. Very nice!

A couple of cocktails last night at dinner in addition to exploration of a variety of bottles that I brought with me. Helps that the bar manager is a friend and it helps even more that I share everything I bring with her! In addition to my two new arrivals from Holland I had AE Rye, Ratafia de Champagne and two port style wines, Malamado, a malbec from Argentina and Sand-Reckoner, a fortified zinfandel from the middle of nowhere in Arizona (Willcox, AZ). Who knew there were so many winerys in SE AZ? And that one makes a port!

First cocktail was an Allegheny. I keep forgetting to get a picture of the menu but it is a sous vide cocktail (basically slow cooked for 2 days at low temperature) with ER10SB bourbon, lemon juice, fresh blackberries and probably another ingredient or two. The blackberries basically explode during the cooking and the juice melds with everything else. Delightful!

Also had a Maloney No. 2 which is credited to John Durr in Louisville, KY.

1.5 oz BIB bourbon (Evan Williams I think)

1.5 oz sweet vermouth (my go to is Carpano. Cocchi di Torino is in the original recipe)

0.75 oz of the ever popular Cynar

0.5 ox of Luxardo maraschino liqueur

I had it up with an orange twist. Very nice!

Where are you drinking that you have bartenders that sous vide? I want in on that.

I went for something drastically less involved tonight: a sherry cobbler. My first one. Used a $5 TJ's manzanilla which meant things weren't destined to send socks veering off in any directions, but it was worthwhile. Simple and would probably be quite enjoyable with a drier and better sherry.

Where are you drinking that you have bartenders that sous vide? I want in on that.

I went for something drastically less involved tonight: a sherry cobbler. My first one. Used a $5 TJ's manzanilla which meant things weren't destined to send socks veering off in any directions, but it was worthwhile. Simple and would probably be quite enjoyable with a drier and better sherry.

From the guiding hand of the delightful beverage manager and bartender extraordinaire, Arianne Fielder, at Seven Lamps in Atlanta.

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2013/03/12/arianne-fielder-brings-sous-vide-cocktails-to-seven-lamps.php#more

http://www.sevenlampsatl.com/#about

The menu also features Beer-tails, alcoholic root beer slushies and barrel-aged cocktails. What could be better?

Green Tea Ginger Ale & Rye (with Scrappy's Orange Bitters) on ice to celebrate finally tipping 80deg F in Seattle.

Did my first variation of an old fashioned, WT Rye 81 with Peychuard's bitters. All I can say is I wish someone had handed me something like this about oh five or so years ago, delicious.

post-8419-14489819358573_thumb.jpg

Mmmmmmm...

Got some silver plated julep cups, and used the opportunity to finish a bottle of WR that someone left at my house.

That's a lovely julep, Trey. You should remind your auto-focus of that.

A Shandy of sorts - with homemade limeade (5 limes, one orange - was time to use up some citrus...) - 25% limeade, 75% Harpoon Bohemian Pilsner ...

Red Hook. Another use for my recently acquired bottle o' Punt e Mes, and a damn tasty one at that. Great bitterness and funk exuded by the PeM and Maraschino. Another spin-off of a classic that just appeals more to my palate.

Just got the ribs on while enjoying a "Kentucky Breakfast". I didn't have any apricot preserves to add to mine.

• 2 ounces bourbon
  • 1 ounce fresh-squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 ounce rich simple syrup
  • 1/2 ounce egg white, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon apricot preserves

Shake well with ice and pour into a chilled cocktail glass if you have one.

Edited by RVTsteve

Kentucky Mule: Fentiman's Ginger Beer, RittBIB and fresh squeezed lime juice. My ratio was 4/2/.5 but no rules here. Add a dash or two of orange bitters if you are feeling adventurous. Mighty tasty on a hot summer day.

Something warming and bright has miraculously appeared in the sky, surrounded by a cheery blueness. The opening is small, and probably wont' last long, but I'm happily celebrating the occasion with a Pimm's, ginger ale, and lemon slice in an ice jammed tumbler. :bowdown:

This comes to mind after the long wet darkness of the last several days:

I'm happily celebrating the occasion with a Pimm's, ginger ale, and lemon slice in an ice jammed tumbler. :bowdown:

Lemon slice ... what, no cucumber????

It's a warm, muggy afternoon ... enjoying Old Fitz BIB ... neat with a glass of ice water on the side. The wife is enjoying a bourbon and branch (made with Old Fitz BIB) ...

Lemon slice ... what, no cucumber????

I've heard about the cuke thing too, B. But, we don't have any now, (Unless, you count my bottle of Willett 4yr 110 proof LDI Rye :D) in the house. But, the back label of the Pimm's gave a recipe with the lemon, (which I do have) so I went with that. Cukes are on the shoppin' list, though!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!