What Cocktail are you Enjoying Summer '13?

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Willett 4yr Barrel Proof and Seagram's Ginger Ale with an itsy tiny dash of

Maraska Cherry Wine. Yummy. I find Rye & Gingers to really shine with LDI rye.

In my laziness last night, I refused to get ice to make a proper cocktail, so I emptied a mini bottle of soda water to chill my Boulevardier in.

Rather than let the soda go to waste, I used the ingredients already in front of me to make one of my favorite drinks: the Americano.

As I was about to mix up the Boulevardier, I realized the funnel required to facilitate my laziness was in an equally remote part of the house. So I just sloshed the liquids in like a barbarian, resulting in a great loss of vital fluids. There's a lesson buried somewhere here, but I'll be damned if I'm going to dig it up.

Boulevardier:

3 parts bourbon (VOB BiB)

2 parts sweet vermouth (Dolin rouge)

2 parts Campari

Americano:

1 part sweet vermouth

1 part Campari

Top with soda

Willett 4yr Barrel Proof and Seagram's Ginger Ale with an itsy tiny dash of

Maraska Cherry Wine. Yummy. I find Rye & Gingers to really shine with LDI rye.

Joe,

I'm drinking some Willett 4yr rye with ginger ale right now and it is tasting really good:) I don't enjoy the willett rye by itself but I'm enjoying it with the ginger ale!

Eastern Sour tonight.

2 oz. bourbon or rye (Jim Beam rye)

1-1/2 oz. orange juice

1 oz. lemon juice

1/4 oz. orgeat

1/4 oz. simple syrup

This is not Trader Vic's original ratio, but the one I found on Kindred Cocktails. The recipe Beachbum Berry presents was too heavy on the OJ.

It's a simple drink. The orgeat bumps it up a bit, but orange juice is pretty boring stuff. Masks the alcohol well, so makes for a good beginner cocktail, but not something I'd return to.

No name yet, but I am out of Cocchi Americano, so I am enjoying this version of a 20th century.

1 oz each Old Tom gin, Genepi (I'm using Guillaumette), creme de cacao, and lemon. I might try 1.5 oz of gin next time, as the other flavors are a tad overwhelming.

Black Diamond Flip.

1-1/2 oz. Islay (Ardbeg 10)

1-1/2 oz. Cynar

1 whole egg

Nutmeg garnish

Dry shake, shake with ice, strain. Normally, that is.

I just got an iSi whipper and nothing calls out to be whipped like a good flip. Not only does this create an awesome head (in fact, it only creates a head) but you don't have to dry shake for minutes. Good drink, and the texture of a fully foamed flip is unbeatable.

That sounds positively disgusting. Which is why I have to try it.

:lol: That's the kinda spirit I like to hear!

That sounds positively disgusting. Which is why I have to try it.

Breakast of Champions! This sounds like one of those "hair of the dog" things ... :grin:

Finished up my pre-made Boulevardier-in-a-bottle and decided to have another go at its less-delicious (to me) cousin. Used Big gin for this Negroni and it wasn't as bad as I recalled. Good, actually. I think I'd still choose the Boulevardier, but I'll chalk up my previous dislike of this drink to crappy gins. Anyway, funnelled all the ingredients into the bottle to taste and added some Xocolatl mole bitters at the end because what the hell.

And yes, the Black Diamond Flip is good. Suffice to say, told you so*.

*I didn't, actually, but I certainly thought it. And I lifted the drink from Fred Yarm's site. If any self-respecting bartender in Boston is serving Yarm a drink, it better be pretty damn good.

umu6usyj.jpg

Actually delicious!

Good picture and setup, Trey. I really need some coupes. Someone got me a gift recently and my choice was an iSi whipper or coupe glasses. As much as I enjoy aesthetic drinks, science is so much more fun.

Yes, thank you for the recipe. As much as I enjoyed it, being a fan of bitter and peated, I don't think I'd serve it to someone that wasn't a fan of at least one of those flavors.

Get yourself some coupes! The cocktail kingdom ones are relatively cheap and are sturdy enough for bar use. I also use them at home when I don't trust my guests with the fancy antique crystal stuff.

" I guess I tend to shy away from many of the cutting edge techniques and gadgets that have come out over the last few years. I still enjoy the drinks and love learning about the processes. However, I find I most often need to make drinks in situations that don't allow much in terms of preparation or tools. Also, I spend so much time focused on technology during my day job, I find it very rewarding to shift that focus at night to making things that are more about aesthetics and being hand-crafted. I love the look on someone's face when I make something beautiful right in front of them and get the "mmmm" nod after they take the first sip.

Yes, thank you for the recipe. As much as I enjoyed it, being a fan of bitter and peated, I don't think I'd serve it to someone that wasn't a fan of at least one of those flavors.

Get yourself some coupes! The cocktail kingdom ones are relatively cheap and are sturdy enough for bar use. I also use them at home when I don't trust my guests with the fancy antique crystal stuff.

" I guess I tend to shy away from many of the cutting edge techniques and gadgets that have come out over the last few years. I still enjoy the drinks and love learning about the processes. However, I find I most often need to make drinks in situations that don't allow much in terms of preparation or tools. Also, I spend so much time focused on technology during my day job, I find it very rewarding to shift that focus at night to making things that are more about aesthetics and being hand-crafted. I love the look on someone's face when I make something beautiful right in front of them and get the "mmmm" nod after they take the first sip.

Yes. As the name suggests, this cocktail is not for beginners.

I looked at CK's. As I recall, they had two sizes. The larger one had the profile I was looking for, but I believe was too roomy for my needs; around 7.5 oz or so. The one that had a more reasonable capacity did not look like a scaled down version of the former, but a different and less attractive design altogether.

When I'm in a position to host people more frequently, aesthetics will take the front seat. Being a proper host is more important to me than technically fascinating diversions. Right now, fitting glassware is mostly to satisfy my anal desire for propriety.

Is there a name for a mint julep that the simple syrup is replaced with local honey?

I have been trying out this concoction with Henry McKenna BiB and OGD114 tonight. They are both great! I had previously enjoyed this with WR as well as FRSmB.

I went out the garden get some mint for pistachio pesto tonight. Threw the extra mint into a glass with ice, and Redemption High Rye Bourbon. Cocktail? I'm not sure, but I'm on my second and liking it :)

Ted

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!