The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

compliance

One of the groups did a big purchase of this one, the "story" is that it is actually 50+ years old but they stated 40 because of a re-rack early in it's life, either way for the price it seemed to be a hell of a deal and initial takes appear to be quite positive. 

y4mHH3sYb0dAqHPhBu8ViVdwUvWrbSYoC1JI5-e_

• I like it 2

One of the groups did a big purchase of this one, the "story" is that it is actually 50+ years old but they stated 40 because of a re-rack early in it's life, either way for the price it seemed to be a hell of a deal and initial takes appear to be quite positive. 
y4mHH3sYb0dAqHPhBu8ViVdwUvWrbSYoC1JI5-e_mpNc1BaphiM-OerimbwZw2YN_rdu8n1jYUvjGZAI_2vrypD7TjhC7wf6rXMH9FFRIiVHaBOoH9aLHZPyId6w_2dIFwF8_Hrp5nWpk4ks-uaVaeJtzSJtnNlhXgpcX4t9IqTQ4q3HZ8UB46q3kvZBiZl98F4?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

Wow want!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 5:13 PM, kevinbrink said:

y4mHH3sYb0dAqHPhBu8ViVdwUvWrbSYoC1JI5-e_

Sorry @kevinbrink, looks like you posted this a couple of weeks ago but I'm just now seeing your post. Have you cracked one of these bottles open yet? I'd love to get some tasting notes when you do! 

Cheers,

Nancy

2 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Sorry @kevinbrink, looks like you posted this a couple of weeks ago but I'm just now seeing your post. Have you cracked one of these bottles open yet? I'd love to get some tasting notes when you do! 

Cheers,

Nancy

Unfortunately not yet, I'm on day 199 (but who's counting) since my last drink, my last cup of coffee, and my last enjoyable meal. I've had more endoscopies during that time period (2) than the previous 39 years on the planet (1). On the plus side I'm down 75 pounds and have developed a more healthy relationship with exercise.  I'm fairly certain that once I'm back in action it's going to be interesting to see where my palate is at, I have a feeling it might be like starting over which to some degree could be pretty fun.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Unfortunately not yet, I'm on day 199 (but who's counting) since my last drink, my last cup of coffee, and my last enjoyable meal. I've had more endoscopies during that time period (2) than the previous 39 years on the planet (1). On the plus side I'm down 75 pounds and have developed a more healthy relationship with exercise.  I'm fairly certain that once I'm back in action it's going to be interesting to see where my palate is at, I have a feeling it might be like starting over which to some degree could be pretty fun.

Congrats on your persistence and dedication regardless of whether your abstinence is strongly recommended or required or just a personal test.  It is still impressive.

To the rest of you posting here:  I hope you all keep posting these pics as they have saved me lots of time trying to guess what is what when I casually peruse the French spirits portion of the shelves.

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Are you just trying to lose weight or is there a health issue at work. Sorry to pry! I've seen you mention your long abstinence a few times now.

Hope all is well!

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

@kevinbrink, my apologies, I had totally forgotten that you are not able to drink right now. As @Harry in WashDC so aptly articulated, whether your abstinence is for health reasons or is self imposed, it is still very commendable, and for those of us that enjoy the "spiritual" side of life, not always an easy thing to do! 

When you are able to enjoy some tipple again, I do look forward to hearing more about those Baron de Lustrac bottles. I've really enjoyed the vintage Baron de Lustrac bottlings. I currently have one from 1976 and one from 1982. 

Cheers, and as I'm currently drinking a bourbon cocktail with muddled bing cherries and tonic, here's to good health for you and all of us on the forum! 

Nancy

• I like it 2

@WhiskeyBlender, @Harry in WashDC, @flahute, thanks for the well wishes, very much a health related thing, nothing terribly serious but something that's lingered for longer than expected. On the plus side it's been a real kick in the pants to kick some bad habbits and develop some good ones. Nancy when I'm on the other side of this thing I really look forward to sharing some notes, I have a bunch of bottles I'm dying to crack as much to enjoy them as to share some pours. 

• I like it 4

6 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

@WhiskeyBlender, @Harry in WashDC, @flahute, thanks for the well wishes, very much a health related thing, nothing terribly serious but something that's lingered for longer than expected. On the plus side it's been a real kick in the pants to kick some bad habbits and develop some good ones. Nancy when I'm on the other side of this thing I really look forward to sharing some notes, I have a bunch of bottles I'm dying to crack as much to enjoy them as to share some pours. 

Those are going to be some GOOD notes.  Every once in awhile, I stop for weeks just to do it (usually Summer) and am always surprised at how fresh and interesting those first few offerings are even at 80 and sub-80 proof.  I can taste things I forgot were in there.

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Those are going to be some GOOD notes.  Every once in awhile, I stop for weeks just to do it (usually Summer) and am always surprised at how fresh and interesting those first few offerings are even at 80 and sub-80 proof.  I can taste things I forgot were in there.

I can only imagine it's going to take some time to get to the point where I'm enjoying the real strong stuff, looking forward to finding more joy in the lower proof pours!

• I like it 2

I’m sorry to hear this. On the plus your making positive changes that should have a lasting effect. Once you finally are able to indulge again you’ll be able to enjoy this and otter spirits so much more.
  • I like it 2

At the request of @WhiskeyBlender, I took some family pictures of part of my Armagnac collection to share. These are the Delord and Dartigalongue bottles, which are primarily vintages, but also some blends. Most are unopened as of yet, but not for long!

Delord and Dartigalongue Family.jpg

Dartigalongue Family 2.jpg

Dartigalongue Family.jpg

Delord Family 2.jpg

• I like it 3

On 6/21/2019 at 7:32 PM, silverc said:

At the request of @WhiskeyBlender, I took some family pictures of part of my Armagnac collection to share. These are the Delord and Dartigalongue bottles, which are primarily vintages, but also some blends. Most are unopened as of yet, but not for long!

Delord and Dartigalongue Family.jpg

Dartigalongue Family 2.jpg

Dartigalongue Family.jpg

Delord Family 2.jpg

Geez Louise, @silverc, that is an absolutely FANTASTIC collection! Do you have any particular favorites that you have in your collection? 

Silverc, you got all those from the Virginia ABC stores? 

Kevin, I used to give up booze for Lent, but the last couple of years, I just give up watching football.

Hang in there bro!

• I like it 1

You're from Buffalo, NY? Wow, I didn't realize that! I have a very distinct memory of visiting Buffalo back in Sept. of 1983. At any rate, please let me know when you're headed to the Normandy region and I'll be happy to give you some pointers of what Calvados distilleries to visit. 

Cheers,
Nancy

Hello Nancy,

It’s finally that time and I’ll be heading that way in a few weeks. I’m actually going to make a trip to the D-Day beaches as there in Calvados. I’ve been intentionally holding of this trip as I wanted to with my nephew who’s in the Army he’s however just had a child and won’t be able to make the trip.

If you have a couple of recommendations to visit where I’d be able to sample and purchase from a d hopefully won’t be on vacation in August I’d greatly appreciate it.

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

Silverc, you got all those from the Virginia ABC stores? 

My guess is that zero of those came from VA ABC.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

My guess is that zero of those came from VA ABC.

Exactly zero came from VA ABC stores. They were picked up over the last few years in my travels. Most came from TN, SC, and IL, with a smaller number from TX, NY, and KY. I hope to be able to complete all available years back to 1974, but that may take a while to fill in the gaps as they tend to release them on round numbered years (20, 30, 40), with only a few exceptions.

I wish they carried these at VA ABC, or honestly really any other Armagnacs. The only ones I can find are the Larrisingle VSOP and XO.

• I like it 1

I was just being silly about the ABC stores.

I thought you were going to say something about spending a lot of time in France.

Regardless, it's an impressive collection.

23 hours ago, silverc said:

Exactly zero came from VA ABC stores. They were picked up over the last few years in my travels. Most came from TN, SC, and IL, with a smaller number from TX, NY, and KY. I hope to be able to complete all available years back to 1974, but that may take a while to fill in the gaps as they tend to release them on round numbered years (20, 30, 40), with only a few exceptions.

I wish they carried these at VA ABC, or honestly really any other Armagnacs. The only ones I can find are the Larrisingle VSOP and XO.

As someone who is hitting one of those round numbers late this year, any advice on where I should look to find one of these (1979)?  PM would work too if that's preferable.

10 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

As someone who is hitting one of those round numbers late this year, any advice on where I should look to find one of these (1979)?  PM would work too if that's preferable.

Joe you good with a store that ships?

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Joe you good with a store that ships?

shipping would definitely be preferred

Took a photo of the rest of my Armagnac collection, the non-Delord or Dartigalongue stuff.  A lot more of these are open as I wanted to get a sampling of a bunch of the different producers. Some of the favorites so far are Baron de Lustrac 25 yr, Domain Boingneres, Tariquet, Chateau Arton, and Montal.

IMG_4253 edit.jpg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, silverc said:

Took a photo of the rest of my Armagnac collection, the non-Delord or Dartigalongue stuff.  A lot more of these are open as I wanted to get a sampling of a bunch of the different producers. Some of the favorites so far are Baron de Lustrac 25 yr, Domain Boingneres, Tariquet, Chateau Arton, and Montal.

IMG_4253 edit.jpg

@silverc, that truly is a fantastic Armagnac collection! Which Boingneres bottlings do you have? Also, do you have any of the 2000 and beyond Domaine d'Esperance bottlings? That is around the time Claire de Montesquieu bought the domaine and started to distill herself, and made significant changes in the quality of the distillate. 

I'm really intrigued and impressed by your collection. When did you start collecting? 

Hope you don't mind all the questions, but wow, bravo on such a spectacular collection! 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 1

551450914_IMG_4253edit.thumb.jpg.a7b07f907f58278ec7577961b59eb95b.jpg

Super jealous of this excellent collection.