The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

compliance

On 4/18/2020 at 1:44 PM, DeepCover said:

This was has gotten decent reviews and I was in the mood for something new. It was on the shelf at TW today, so why not? I’m looking forward to trying it out.

I had the Lot 76 as part of this set of minis.  It was pretty good (I would describe it as elegant) but the '53 and especially the '29 were amazing! 

tesseron minis.jpg

• I like it 2

On 4/22/2020 at 1:54 PM, fosmith said:

I had the Lot 76 as part of this set of minis.  It was pretty good (I would describe it as elegant) but the '53 and especially the '29 were amazing! 

tesseron minis.jpg

I’ve been very pleased with the 76. It’s become my go-to quarantine bottle since I bought it. That said, I’ve heard amazing things about the ‘53 and ‘29. Maybe someday!

FWIW I’d still take the Maison Surrenne XO over the Tesseron 76. The Maison Surrenne XO is the best cognac I’ve had so far. Too bad it’s so tough to find.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m not a Congac drinker or knowledgeable on any of it tbh. I friend found this laying around and offered it to me. I told them I’d look to see what it’s worth and give them a fair price for it. Anyone here have a guess-timate?

D1274032-65D7-401C-A5CE-5AFE36C494D0.jpeg

BFD77C1F-4A5C-42EA-B7A9-263B6C6DD26C.jpeg

• I like it 1

59 minutes ago, Not_That_Fancy said:

I’m not a Congac drinker or knowledgeable on any of it tbh. I friend found this laying around and offered it to me. I told them I’d look to see what it’s worth and give them a fair price for it. Anyone here have a guess-timate?

I've got a couple of standard bottles from that time period… one with a $9.99 price tag still on the screw cap. I remember having to go a a bullet-proof store in a sketchy part of town to get these.

Pure sugar, but not undrinkable. Looks like your bottle is going to taste like cork.

IMG_4526.thumb.jpg.c59c9f41b13cfe10d2583e51ec16fbce.jpg

IMG_4527.thumb.jpg.20d1586ccc6e7b58259836ca8dc71461.jpg

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

I picked this one up to try out during the holiday weekend.

FB7185EE-D2FA-4D35-B2B1-AA564A7F39FB.jpeg

@DeepCover, OH-MY-GOD (sorry to shout), I can't believe you landed that!!!! I absolutely LOVE the Jean Fillioux Tres Vieux Cognac. Where the heck did you find it? I've been looking for some Jean Fillioux and haven't seen any in quite a while. 

Can't wait to get your feedback after this weekend. 

Cheers my friend, and drink well! 

Nancy

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@DeepCover, OH-MY-GOD (sorry to shout), I can't believe you landed that!!!! I absolutely LOVE the Jean Fillioux Tres Vieux Cognac. Where the heck did you find it? I've been looking for some Jean Fillioux and haven't seen any in quite a while. 

Can't wait to get your feedback after this weekend. 

Cheers my friend, and drink well! 

Nancy

Wow! I was already excited to try this one out, but after this ringing endorsement I can’t wait. 

I found it at Spec’s near downtown Houston (referred to by some locals as the mothership). That’s the only place I’ve seen it. After falling in love with the impossible to find Maison Surrenne XO, I’ve been searching for a comparable champagne cognac. This seemed like a good candidate. They had a Normandin-Mercier XO, but I went with this one. Most likely I will give this one a shot tonight.

I hope you enjoy your holiday weekend and cheers to you as well!

• I like it 1

Hey all, had a couple questions about Francis Darroze Armagnacs and hoping you can help me out. My wife's dad had a couple of bottles in his cellar that I am having trouble finding information on.

Looks like both were bottled in 1983, but there is one that shows "distilled 1928" and one that shows "distilled 1932". Any help is much appreciated!

Andrew

Armagnac1.jpg

Armagnac3.jpg

Armagnac5.jpg

In my continuing search for something a bit unusual I recently picked up a new bottle of Marc de Bourgogne from Julien Guillot. A single cask release from 2002 making it around 17-18yo (although no specific age is given) and bottled at a low cask strength of only 81 proof. Quite enjoyable with an interesting refined taste due to extended aging of the usual funk found in this style of brandy. Biggest downside is cost that would make it an unlikely repeat buy.

C26714A7-EE1F-4BC7-A610-A9B92374F93E.jpeg.a582775951dce94f9764181e4648d76a.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 1 month later...

Hello! 
Bit of a random urgent topic but could someone tell me how old this is? I understand that cognac generally doesn’t improve over time but I accidentally broke the seal, I can barely find anything like it online and just wondered if anyone knew? 
Cheers

image.jpg

No idea how old it is but a basic Martell VS isn't likely to be very unique, even in the rather interesting "pocket size" format. Since it is now open you should give it a try and see if you like it. As you say it isn't going to get any better just sitting in the bottle.

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, Niner said:

Hello! 
Bit of a random urgent topic but could someone tell me how old this is? I understand that cognac generally doesn’t improve over time but I accidentally broke the seal, I can barely find anything like it online and just wondered if anyone knew? 
Cheers

As a VS it's between 2 and 4 years old when it's bottled.  Distilled spirits, unlike wine, do not improve with age in the bottle.  I say drink it but don't expect much.  That bottle format is meant to be drunk straight from the bottle.  ?

11 hours ago, PaulO said:

That looks like something bottled for the European market.

At “8cl” (centiliters or about 2.7 ounces) it most definitely was for a market outside the US. I doubt you can import a bottle that size here and the TTB would likely go apeshit over putting “pocket size” on the label!

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Phil T said:

Picked these up today.

Those look good.  I like Delord.  I just wish they didn't proof them down to 40%. 

57 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Those look good.  I like Delord.  I just wish they didn't proof them down to 40%. 

As an easy drinking after dinner enjoyment,  I'm glad the proof is not higher.

On 7/26/2020 at 7:52 AM, Phil T said:

As an easy drinking after dinner enjoyment,  I'm glad the proof is not higher.

You make a good point.  Every proof level has its place.  Delord 25 was my gateway to Armagnac.  So much better and more "bourbon like" than any brandy I'd previously had.  Then I went down the rabbit hole of L'Encantada - barrel proof, single barrel Armagnacs from very small producers.  Kind of like going from Basil Hayden to Stagg Jr. and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.  Hugely more flavorful and complex but sometimes something less challenging and easier to sip just fits the bill.  So, maybe it's time to crack another bottle of Delord 25...

• I like it 2

• 4 weeks later...

Was offered an opportunity to purchase Armagnacs from a long list apparently sourced from the importer arm of Darroze. Not really interested in the older (and very expensive) bottles but was curious if anybody had any experience with these to offer an opinion. Maybe be a little esoteric for most people. Certainly was for me!

My interest starts to end quickly as you approach $200.

2005    DOMAINE DE PAGUY à Betbezer    50.0%        $130

2004    DOMAINE DE RIESTON à Perquie    49.4%        $130

2003    DOMAINE DE MONTURON au Bourdalat    50.0%        $130

2002    DOMAINE DE PAGUY à Betbezer    50.0%        $130

2001    DOMAINE DE MARTIN à Hontanx    49.0%        $135

2000    DOMAINE DE SALIE au Frêche    50.0%        $140

1999    DOMAINE DE POUTEOU à Lannemaignan    48.8%        $140

1998    DOMAINE DE MARTIN à Hontanx    48.6%        $145

1997    DOMAINE DE MARTIN à Hontanx    48.9%        $150

1996    DOMAINE DE SALIE au Frêche    48.8%        $155

1995    DOMAINE DE PETIT LASSIS à Créon d'Armagnac    50.0%        $160

1994    DOMAINE DE RIESTON à Perquie    49.2%        $160

1993    DOMAINE DE SALIE au Frêche    49.4%        $160

1992    DOMAINE DE MARTIN à Hontanx    50.0%        $170

1991    DOMAINE DE LAMARQUETTE à Castandet    48.7%        $170

1990    DOMAINE DE PETIT LASSIS à Créon d'Armagnac    49.5%        $180

1989    CHÂTEAU DE LAHITTE à Courrensan    47.5%        $190

1988    CHÂTEAU DE LAHITTE à Courrensan    47.5%        $190

1987    DOMAINE DE LA POSTE à Condom (Armagnac-Ténarèze)    47.8%        $195

1986    CHÂTEAU DE LAHITTE à Courrensan    46.5%        $200

1985    DOMAINE DE BELLAIR à Cravancères    47.7%        $220

1984    DOMAINE DE BELLAIR à Cravancères    48.0%        $230

1983    DOMAINE DE LAGARDENNE à Larée    50.0%        $230

1982    CHÂTEAU DE LAHITTE à Courrensan    48.0%        $230

1981    CHÂTEAU DE LAHITTE à Courrensan    46.0%        $240

1980    DOMAINE DE BELLAIR à Cravancères    48.5%        $240

1979    DOMAINE LE TUC à Lagraulas    49.0%        $245

1978    DOMAINE LE TUC à Lagraulas    48.6%        $255

1975    DOMAINE DE RIMAILLO à Urgosse    43.0%        $289

1974    DOMAINE DE LA POSTE à Condom (Armagnac-Ténarèze)    48.2%        $305

1973    DOMAINE DE LA POSTE à Condom (Armagnac-Ténarèze)    47.8%        $320

1972    CHÂTEAU DE GAUBE à Gaube    43.4%        $340

1971    CHÂTEAU DE GAUBE à Gaube    42.2%        $350

1970    DOMAINE DE BELLAIR à Cravancères    44.2%        $390

1969    DOMAINE DE BELLAIR à Cravancères    45.4%        $450

1968    DOMAINE DE BELLAIR à Cravancères    42.8%        $450

1967    DOMAINE DE BELLAIR à Cravancères    42.0%        $465

1966    CHÂTEAU DE GAUBE à Gaube    44.2%        $485

1964    CHATEAU DE GAUBE à Perquie    42.6%        $590

1963    CHATEAU DE GAUBE à Perquie    45.6%        $599

1962    CHATEAU DE GAUBE à Perquie    43.0%        $629

• I like it 2

@WhiskeyBlender hey I finally found a local source of cider that also ages and bottles there apple brandy close to my wife’s place.  The first video in the Facebook video t about 1:30 in shows the distillation process.  The guy has a mobile still that he uses a tractor to transport among the local villages for people to distill there cider.  I thought it was a cool process.

There 15 year old brandy was 30€ for a 500ML and pretty good.  They age on site, exclusively in wine barrels. 

https://m.facebook.com/pg/montvine/videos/

On 7/25/2020 at 3:17 PM, Phil T said:

Picked these up today.

IMG_4506.jpg

IMG_4508.jpg

IMG_4507.jpg

Am I wrong in assuming that one of the Delords is your birth year and the other is your graduation year of HS?

I picked this bottle up on Friday. I love the Delord 25 year. My next purchase needs to be their vintage offerings.

F32DC7F6-4A77-4E17-9165-9584E99A09B9.jpeg

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, DeepCover said:

Am I wrong in assuming that one of the Delords is your birth year and the other is your graduation year of HS?

Yes, you are wrong. ?

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Yes, you are wrong. ?

Haha! Hey, fair enough. I hope that wasn’t too intrusive. I couldn’t help but notice the similarities because I was born in ‘75 and graduated from HS in ‘93. I definitely plan on picking up a Delord ‘75 in the near future for that very reason, and also because I’m sure it’s awesome. Cheers