The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

compliance

12 hours ago, DeepCover said:

As I’ve changed jobs, one of my customers sent me a text last week saying, “I left you a gift at the front desk of the 4 Seasons”. On Monday I walked across the street from my office to pick my gift up, not knowing what that might be. It was a bottle of Delord 25, thanking me for all I had done to support his business. I’m enjoying it now. Cheers to good friends and kind, generous people.

Was that Four Seasons Total Landscaping? 😉

• I like it 1

On 5/8/2021 at 11:20 AM, fosmith said:

Was that Four Seasons Total Landscaping? 😉

Ouch.  🔥

• I like it 1

On 5/7/2021 at 10:15 PM, DeepCover said:

As I’ve changed jobs, one of my customers sent me a text last week saying, “I left you a gift at the front desk of the 4 Seasons”. On Monday I walked across the street from my office to pick my gift up, not knowing what that might be. It was a bottle of Delord 25, thanking me for all I had done to support his business. I’m enjoying it now. Cheers to good friends and kind, generous people.

Congrats on the new job and what a thoughtful gift.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I just finished my first bottle of DeLord 25 year.  At $80 /bottle, this is easily the best value old spirit I've tried.  Glad I have three more tucked away.  

So rich; with berries and dark pitted fruits, the marzipan and almond skins, and the layers of rancio make this just so incredible and complex.  

Hands down this is my favorite armagnac I've tried so far, and I will clear the shelves (save one) from now on any time I see it.  This is my new bottle of WoW.  

Is there anything else close to this available in the States?  

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, Guss West said:

I just finished my first bottle of DeLord 25 year.  At $80 /bottle, this is easily the best value old spirit I've tried....Hands down this is my favorite armagnac I've tried so far, ...Is there anything else close to this available in the States?  

Whiskeyblender needs to chime in, I'm waiting with baited breath.  Whatever she suggests, drive 1000 miles to get it.

I like Larressingle XO Armagnac but it's 15-20 year at maybe $110

Though cognac, I'm super impressed with Ferrand 10 generations, incredible flavors at it's low price point. about $60.

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Whatever she suggests, drive 1000 miles to get it.

Yup.

On 6/24/2021 at 5:27 PM, Guss West said:

I just finished my first bottle of DeLord 25 year.  At $80 /bottle, this is easily the best value old spirit I've tried.  Glad I have three more tucked away.  

So rich; with berries and dark pitted fruits, the marzipan and almond skins, and the layers of rancio make this just so incredible and complex.  

Hands down this is my favorite armagnac I've tried so far, and I will clear the shelves (save one) from now on any time I see it.  This is my new bottle of WoW.  

Is there anything else close to this available in the States?  

Yes, Delord 25 is great.  It was my gateway Armagnac and I have a bottle open currently.  My only criticism is that it's proofed down to 40%.  If you get a chance, try the cask strength offerings from L'Encantada, Darroze, Cardinat, Pellehaut, etc.  They can be amazing! If you live in or near Calif., K&L has a great selection at good prices.  If not, Astor Wines in NYC has a good selection and will ship nearly anywhere.  Get on their mailing list and, every few months, they have a 15% off sale on French spirits...

• I like it 3

My wife and I were in an antique shop today and picked this up.  If the cognac is drinkable, I figure it will at least be good for sidecars.   IMG_7639.thumb.jpg.ad7de8cb67ab4491e40a25c0579409f8.jpgIMG_7638.thumb.jpg.3a6e4a6ebd54ed78ab24cdf3ba702b74.jpg

• I like it 4

• 4 weeks later...

Bottle of Larressingle XO was $120 otd here in the nutmeg state.  It has really started to open up past the shoulder; was a monster of dark stone fruits, oily leather/chocolate, rancio and finish for days, dessert spirit last night.  I'd take 3 bottles of DeLord 25 over two of the LXO, my opinion.  Glad to have the chance to drink the LXO!! 

Going to crack a second round of Artez next; some less-pricey options for a little armagnac variety open in the bottle chest.  

I'm constantly on the lookout for cask strength vintage-stated armagnac; it seems to be scarce in my area but my local ordered me a couple a little while back. 

My next big project is the Darroze Les Grands Assemblages vertical: 8, 12, 20, 30, 40, and 50 year old blends.  

Happy MF Friday; Sante! 

• I like it 2

I just did a search, and don’t see any posts regarding the A.E. Dor line of cognacs. Has anybody tried any of their stuff?

Picked up 2 Armagnac’s last week. L’encantada 1989 & 1993. I’m sure they are going to be good. Big color difference.  I will probably open them soon. 
59C6CDCD-9B84-4FDB-A038-EE8230AE065B.thumb.jpeg.82af1269c314e7ba829bd1d4280bd1e4.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 4

On 6/26/2021 at 7:16 PM, scratchline said:

My wife and I were in an antique shop today and picked this up.  If the cognac is drinkable, I figure it will at least be good for sidecars.   IMG_7639.thumb.jpg.ad7de8cb67ab4491e40a25c0579409f8.jpgIMG_7638.thumb.jpg.3a6e4a6ebd54ed78ab24cdf3ba702b74.jpg

Trying think what bourbon bottles could possibly go in this.  Maybe a 1.75L of Barton’s or older Weller’s bottle?

On 7/31/2021 at 6:33 PM, LCWoody said:

Picked up 2 Armagnac’s last week. L’encantada 1989 & 1993. I’m sure they are going to be good. Big color difference.  I will probably open them soon. 
59C6CDCD-9B84-4FDB-A038-EE8230AE065B.thumb.jpeg.82af1269c314e7ba829bd1d4280bd1e4.jpeg

move liked all the La Freche’s I’ve had. Don’t remember if I’ve hd this one or not, but you should enjoy it!

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Cracked open my first L'Encantada XO armagnac tonight, it's really good. 

1.0, 2.0 or 3.0?  I've only had the 1.0 and agree it was delicious.  I've been curious how the subsequent releases stand up..

On 8/22/2021 at 8:55 AM, fosmith said:

1.0, 2.0 or 3.0?  I've only had the 1.0 and agree it was delicious.  I've been curious how the subsequent releases stand up..

I guess neither - it's a private selection version.  Now you're gonna make me want to go out to get one of those to compare!

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I guess neither - it's a private selection version.  Now you're gonna make me want to go out to get one of those to compare!

Wouldn’t happen to be the XO from Houston Bourbon Society?

• 2 weeks later...

I have to start contributing more here!  I've always enjoyed the info and conversations.  Anyway, I've dove pretty deep into armagnac the last few years.  Without getting too deep into reviews here are my  general thoughts on some of the domaines and negotiants. Very high level thoughts here, there's a lot of variance within a domaine based on age and year of course.

L'Encantada - Negotiant that has been all the rage lately. Mostly single barrel cask strength releases. The Lous Pibous/Lasalle, La Freche, and Mouracs I've had have all been at least very good.  They can vary a lot by age and year, but Pibous tends to be very oak forward, heavy spice, the best barrels have a balance of dirty dark fruit.  Lasalle's similar, maybe with the oak turned down a notch.  I've only had a few La Freche's - oak forward still, but dialed down a bit, very rich and full of flavor. The Mouracs were funky - super dark in color and deep in flavor.  I had a Le Sable and it good, but too light for me. 

Darroze - Wide range of domaines and flavor profiles available. The Grand Assemblage 20 and 30 were both really good.  The couple of Bouillons I've had were outstanding.  I'd love to find more of those. A couple of Bel Airs stood out. Gaube has some bangers.  I haven't disliked any Darroze armagnac I've had.  As always, try to find notes and styles that match what you're looking for, but based on what I've had, you're assured a high level of quality with Darroze.

Baraillon - Oak forward profile.  I've never been let down, some may veer into almost being too tannic, or maybe a bit thin body, but always good.  The nose on some of the Baraillons are stunning.

Pellehaut - at a high level, similar to Baraillon.  Less nose, more palate punch.

Charron - Tend to be oak bombs. I've only had a few samples, and they veered a bit too dry and oaky for me.  They were good though.  Although I don't usually add water to brandy, perhaps a drop of water could've brought more flavors out for my palate.

Seallis - Another dark oaky one like charron. One of the samples I had was very bitter and not very pleasant.

Pouchegu - only had the 1981 and it was great.  heavy oak but with balance and finesse.

Cardinat - ditto. But I've also had a couple of early 90s cardinats and they were very good.

Bordes - oak and spice.  one note.  A couple samples had a vegetal, off note on the finish.  Not terrible, but not particularly good.

Aurensan - DARK.  funky.  Definitely a heavy oak profile, but there's a dark, molasses, rummy, aspect that I haven't found in many others.  Even the relatively young Aurensans have this character.

Laberdolive - Classic, elegant armagnac. Complex and balanced. The flavor may not slap you upside the head like a bolder Lous Pibous, for example, but if you give it time waves of different flavors will rise.  These tend to be expensive.  Whether it's worth it depends on budget and what you're looking for, but I can definitely see why it brings a higher price.

Boingneres - Another classic, elegant, complex and balanced armagnac.  Only had a few, and all I had were Folle Blanche.  Painting with a broad brush, had more oak and spice than laberdolive.  The younger Boingneres seem to really hold up.  Even at 12-14 years there's a lot of bold flavor there.  Like Laberdolive, these get pretty expensive.  

D'Ognoas - I've only had one, a 1966, and it knocked my socks off.  I'd love to try some of their younger, more in my usual price range bottles.

Pouteou - Solid oak forward armagnac. Didn't wow me, but nothing off. Only had small samples, I don't know the price, but if it's reasonably priced I'd keep a bottle open.

Vaghi - On the fruity, floral, and delicate side.  Had a sample of a very old one that was extremely funky and creamy - boozy berries and cream all the way.

Lacquy - Only had a sample of a 1991 and it was top notch.  Less oak, more fruit, but not lacking in bold flavors at all.  Love to try others.

Labiette - Only had 1981. Light, thin, astringent.  Nothing off, but not a lot of depth or complexity.

La Basque - I had the 1999, and if I recall correctly it was relatively cheap $45 or so.  No spectacular, but solid.  Not a lot of options I've seen in this price range.  It's definitely worth the price.

Pebrere - Only had the 1964. Light and floral.  not a lot of complexity.

I know I'm missing some I've tried but this is already way too long!  Any of your favorites?

• I like it 11

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my hands on a Delord 25, and opened it tonight.  I can see why it is so well liked.  Now to see if I can get 2-3 bottles for the bunker.

• I like it 3

On 9/30/2021 at 4:56 PM, Radioyada said:

Finally got my hands on a Delord 25, and opened it tonight.  I can see why it is so well liked.  Now to see if I can get 2-3 bottles for the bunker.

Nice!  Delord 25 was my gateway Armagnac.  I'm mostly a bourbon drinker but I loved/love the depth and complexity of D25 and have a bottle currently open with one or two backups.  I only wish it was bottled at cask strength.  But it led me to explore some of the other great Yaks from L'Encantada, Cardinat, Pellehaut, Darroze, Bujou (Cognac), etc. 

• I like it 1

I have a few; now feel the need to chase down a few more.  DeLord 25 is amazing value and really delicious too!!

Yessirs.  Delord 25 is regularly on my bar, as well.  Down to a few pours left, so time to backfill.