The French Spirits Forum- Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados

compliance

Store didn’t have any OF1920 or RR Sib. :(

So I made an impulse purchase. It’s really good.

DF9303F7-39C4-4C02-A61B-C9F08EE74B69.jpeg

• I like it 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

New to this stuff, bought my second bottle of Courvoisier. I start to like this stuff, it's delicious. 

2 hours ago, Sven Heuchert said:

New to this stuff, bought my second bottle of Courvoisier. I start to like this stuff, it's delicious. 

Basic Courvoisier VS is a staple in our cabinet; mostly used in cocktails and cooking.  I like it better than the comparable Hennessy which isn’t bad, either.  We do have some of that, too, but the C-VS gets used more often.  EDIT - the comparable Remy Martin is a tad too sweet for me.  I have no preference on upper shelf offerings -haven’t had enough to opine.🤪

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Picked up one of my favorite Armagnac’s yesterday. I know this bottle will not be around for very long and wanted to have a back up.
IMG_5258.thumb.jpeg.497ab43191382360269f11f938e4e284.jpeg

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 5:29 PM, LCWoody said:

Finished off a really good bottle of Armagnac tonight. 

I've not had the '86 Pellehaut but it looks fantastic based on the color.  I've had the '94 and it was amazing. 

• I like it 1

Going well with the Gurkha.

499EF5D1-8319-4595-9AE7-BAD0A975ED32.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Picked up two good ones today…

The 1990 is extremely dark. Can’t see through the bottle. 

Yeah that looks super dark

• I like it 1

So I don’t know if this is the right place for this post but I couldn’t find one on Champagne. So Sunday mornings are often spent watching F1 races while having tropical mimosas ( 1oz coconut rum, 1-2oz tropical juice such as pineapple or mango in a flute, then fill with Champagne. My wife drinks Champagne as one glass normally does not affect her blood sugar 9she is a diabetic).  Our go to is not a Champagne but a Cava. It is Freixnet which is Spanish but made using the champagne method. It is usually rated at 89-92 by wine spectator. I pick it up for $15 a bottle at Walmart. 

• I like it 2

On 9/30/2023 at 10:50 AM, StarSurfer55 said:

So I don’t know if this is the right place for this post but I couldn’t find one on Champagne. So Sunday mornings are often spent watching F1 races while having tropical mimosas ( 1oz coconut rum, 1-2oz tropical juice such as pineapple or mango in a flute, then fill with Champagne. My wife drinks Champagne as one glass normally does not affect her blood sugar 9she is a diabetic).  Our go to is not a Champagne but a Cava. It is Freixnet which is Spanish but made using the champagne method. It is usually rated at 89-92 by wine spectator. I pick it up for $15 a bottle at Walmart. 

My man! Being on the West coast my F1 watching usually involves coffee but I do like your style.

10 hours ago, flahute said:

My man! Being on the West coast my F1 watching usually involves coffee but I do like your style.

Yep we usually do tropical Mimosas and a quiche for breakfast.  WE used not watch F1 religiously but since Red Bull has been dominating it is become boring and frankly, neither of us like Verstappen.  My wife refers to him as the "Dutch D*ck".

YOU can call it brunch if you like but just remember that Brunch without alcohol is just a late sad breakfast.

I have occasionally switched to drinking Seelbach cocktails but they are bit too heavy for me early in the morning.

On 9/30/2023 at 12:50 PM, StarSurfer55 said:

Freixnet is pretty good stuff. True Champagnes are good, but definitely not worth spending the money on if you’re going to make mimosas out of them. So many Cavas, Proseccos, Cremants, etc. are also good enough by themselves that you don’t have to spend more unless you just want to. Hmmm…that’s sort of like the bourbon world…so many great drinkers that are readily available that don’t cost a lot, unless you just want something a bit more special and are willing to pay up for it. 

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Grabbed a ‘74 Baraillon from K&L.  Armagnac is about the only way to grab birth year bottles within reason.  This one is 49 years old.  

• I like it 3

• 3 weeks later...

My first Armagnac.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm pretty impressed. 

I read that it was one that would appeal to bourbon drinkers.

Maybe it's the oak?

I really like the way it drinks above its proof.

20231112_214850.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 3

18 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

My first Armagnac.

I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm pretty impressed. 

I read that it was one that would appeal to bourbon drinkers.

Maybe it's the oak?

I really like the way it drinks above its proof.

20231112_214850.jpg

The Delord 25 was my gateway Armagnac as well.  It was a gift from my sister that sent me down the yak hole.  I think it is a good choice for bourbon lovers.  It's oaky but not too tannic, as some Armagnacs can be. I have since moved on to cask strength bottles in a sweeter, fruitier style from producers such as Pellehaut and Cardinat.  Negociants such as Darroze and L'encantada also put out excellent bottles in a variety of styles; but I don't think you can go wrong anything they do. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

The Delord 25 was my gateway Armagnac as well.  It was a gift from my sister that sent me down the yak hole.  I think it is a good choice for bourbon lovers.  It's oaky but not too tannic, as some Armagnacs can be. I have since moved on to cask strength bottles in a sweeter, fruitier style from producers such as Pellehaut and Cardinat.  Negociants such as Darroze and L'encantada also put out excellent bottles in a variety of styles; but I don't think you can go wrong anything they do. 

The Delord is pretty sweet to me....I can't imagine going much sweeter......but maybe the cask strength will mitigate some of that. 

Thanks for the recommendations!    

Edited by Skinsfan1311

Ingrid Bergman in a glass!  Just amazing!  Sublime 23 year old cask strength spirit for only $80?  Armagnac is where bourbon was 20 years ago.  But not for much longer...

98 cardinat.jpg

Edited by fosmith
  • I like it 4

26 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I don’t know much about this Armagnac, but it’s really good. 

Lol!  I love this quote.  Because I'm exactly the same 😁

• I like it 2

• 3 months later...

Louisiana only got a few f these Armagnac’s in. I’m glad I was able to get one. Absolutely fantastic!!!

IMG_6950.thumb.jpeg.16006469b75e7cce66000c49538ddf4b.jpeg

• I like it 2