Willett 5 Yr

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just picked up a Willett 5 yr 110 proof Rye. Assume its LDI/MGP juice. Anyone sample this yet?

Edit:misspelled Willett in the title but can't edit that. Mods,a little help?

Edited by camduncan
fixed title as requested.

Just picked up a Willett 5 yr 110 proof Rye. Assume its LDI/MGP juice. Anyone sample this yet?

Edit:misspelled Willett in the title but can't edit that. Mods,a little help?

Does it say distilled in Indiana on the back?

I picked up a couple bottles at KBD last summer of 5 or 6 year rye that said Kentucky on the back.

Fixed.

I picked up a bottle of the 4yo 110 proof in New Zealand last month, and was going to do a side-by-side sample with a fellow members 5yo 110 he bought back from KY last weekend. I'm not sure what happened, we started on the 4yo and then started on some bourbons. Never went back to the 5yo.

Luther, yes distilled in IN. So that answers the LDI question.

Cam, thanks for the help. Also just found an old thread on this topic that died out in 8/12. Feel free to merge.

Luther, yes distilled in IN. So that answers the LDI question.

Cam, thanks for the help. Also just found an old thread on this topic that died out in 8/12. Feel free to merge.

I've had it. It's ok. IHMO the best LDI expression because of the high proof. A couple friends and I killed the bottle in one night making manhattans.

I really enjoy the 5 yr, lthough I've only seen it once. It's always the 4 that I run across. I enjoy that one also, though.

I've tried several 4 and 5 year Willett ryes, and haven't been disappointed in one yet. In fact, Hunter from Willett brought a 3 yr Willett rye to a tasting event so we could compare what one year does, and honestly - the 3 yr was pretty damned good (you could tell the difference from 3 to 4, but it wasn't a huge difference).

I really enjoy the 5yr. myself,I don't see a huge difference between the 4 and 5 year,but the younger 3 year old while good just not up to par with its two older siblings.I was lucky enough to buy several 5yr. barrel#66 last year@$29.99 and probably the value of the century in the rye category for me,great neat and an absolute monster in a Manhattan.Now if I could just find a few more.

This is Barrel 90A and was $34.99 for comparison. The "A" makes it $5 better:rolleyes:

Does it say distilled in Indiana on the back?

Luther, you would think a guy with LDI/MGP as his avatar would not need to ask that question wouldn't you?

Luther, you would think a guy with LDI/MGP as his avatar would not need to ask that question wouldn't you?

:P I didn't think to look on the KY bottles I had for a while either. They've definitely a different profile than the MGP stuff though.

Any idea where your juice came from? Maybe Brown-Forman?

Could be, or maybe BT. It's definitely a softer rye with more corn in the mashbill than the MGP Willetts.

Maybe B-F is selling off excess Ritt rye production now that HH is making their own until they figure out whether to come out with their own rye brand.

Maybe B-F is selling off excess Ritt rye production now that HH is making their own until they figure out whether to come out with their own rye brand.

This my suspicion as well on the "Kentucky" distilled versions.

When this appeared on the shelves, the first ones I saw were 2 years old and 114 proof. Since then, I've seen 3, 4, and 5 years old, all distilled in Indiana. One might tend to think; the older the better, but no. I actually liked the 2 year old the best. It had this fruitiness and thick viscosity that were much diminished in the others.

If they do I'll buy it but only under a B-F label, no point in paying twice.

If they do I'll buy it but only under a B-F label, no point in paying twice.

I'm happy to pay extra to have it bottled at barrel proof.

Then I'll be happy to bum a drink off you.

Any time you're in Chicago you can pour whatever you want from my cabinet, Squire. :drinking:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.