High West: Rendezvous vs Double Rye vs Son of Bourye

jtgraves
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have yet to sample any of these, and I'm thinking I'll pick up one of them over the holiday. I'm currently leaning towards the Rendezvous based on a few reviews I've read, but I'm not completely committed to it yet. I'd love to get some thoughts on these from the SB rye collective.

Edited by jtgraves
typo

I haven't had SoB, but both DR and RR are very good. I prefer the aged flavor of the Rendezvous as it has more 16 year old rye in the blend. For reference, I like Ritt 100 BiB and Willet 3/4/5 Year, but I still like RR and DR better. Neither is as spicy as Ritt or Willet, but the aging really enhances the flavor. Currently, its my favorite rye among the ones I've tried, including WTR101. I've yet to taste my THH or WhistlePig, but they're a bit pricier.

Not much to add other than to say Rendezvous would be my pick of the litter, too.

+1 for Rendezvous. My favorite of the standard non-exotic / non-ultra aged ryes.

I love me some Rendezvous, the 16 yr rye had a ton of influence in the overall flavor negating the typical LDI flavors...

I went to a High West tasting event recently and we tasted 7 different products, including the 21 YO. My favorite was the Rendezvous.

Thanks for the input, folks. Turns out a friend has all three, so I'm going to get a chance to do a little try before I buy.

However, I'm pretty sure that I'll end up picking up the Rendezvous, since your opinions are in line with what I've read elsewhere.

However, I'm pretty sure that I'll end up picking up the Rendezvous, since your opinions are in line with what I've read elsewhere.

Since you're going in to the tasting with a bias I suggest you ask your friend to pour the samples blind.

Since you're going in to the tasting with a bias I suggest you ask your friend to pour the samples blind.

Good call. We don't often taste blind, but I think this is a perfect time to do it. It's hard not to have a bias after a bit of research, but, as always, I'm most interested in getting the rye that I enjoy the most.

I'm the most unbiased guy I know but I don't pour when tasting blind.

I can only speak for the Rendezvous - I found it very good. In fact, I enjoyed some

tonight watching our local July "6th" fireworks from my back yard.

post-136-14489819372112_thumb.jpg

post-136-14489819372596_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jono

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.