Boilermaker - Reminising

bllygthrd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Received Happy 4th of July wishes from an old friend in Brasil yesterday ... he affectionately calls me "boilermaker" ... so I thought I'd share the story.

I visited Brasil often for 10-15 years for business, and made many friends. They introduced me to pinga (Cachaça) and Caipirinhas ... and asked me to introduce them to a "local" drink from my youth. I grew up in a blue collar, polish neighborhood, and a boilermaker came to mind.

I brought a bottle of EW on my next trip, and during a Brazilian BBQ at the plant manager's home ... I proceeded to make boilermakers for my 4 Brazilian friends. For those unfamiliar with a Buffalo boilermaker ... you fill a shot glass with bourbon, and drop the filled shot glass into a glass of beer (Brahma in this case) ... and enjoy.

The four of them polished off a 1L bottle of EW ... and the accompanying beers. They truly got plastered!

At the closing meeting the next day ... the plant manager and his staff had huge hangovers ... and just kept muttering "no more boilermakers" ... they also started calling me "boilermaker" ... and this spread to my south american locations ... everyone started calling me "boilermaker".

It became mandatory on subsequent trips that I bring a bottle of bourbon, and make boilermakers for those that that heard the story and wanted to try them ... good times and fond memories.

Good story there Mr. Boilermaker ;-)

Thanks for sharing - the best ones usually involve experiences with good people.

That was a very nice story. The true ones involving friends are always the best... Especially old friends; they're the best kind, except for the new friends... OK, OK; all friends are good friends; and potential good stories, I guess. Thanx for sharing!

Yessir, that's a cool story. :toast:

Great story and cool your impact was lasting enough to walk away with a nickname.

Did any of them like just the Bourbon?

LOL ... Yes! At the time, Beam products were the dominant bourbons in Brasil, I chose to take EW because I knew they had never seen it ... Marco (the well wisher) and I regularly discuss spirits, and he stocks up on bourbon when he visits the States ... much to his wife's chagrin (she's a wonderful woman, but a teetotaler).

Love this story of cross cultural exchange and long lasting friendships. However I cannot condone anything called a " boilermaker" as a loyal IU grad. You find Purdue ( the Boilermakers) by driving north until you smell it and then head west until you step in it!

You find Purdue ( the Boilermakers) by driving north until you smell it and then head west until you step in it!

When asked why he replied, "Because that's what a grudge's for".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15935[/ATTACH] :toast: :lol:

Hey BB, it's all good. Couldn't resist a dig when it was presented! We have bourbon and the HOOSIER State in common so there is that.

Hey BB, it's all good. Couldn't resist a dig when it was presented! We have bourbon and the HOOSIER State in common so there is that.

No problem with a friendly rivarly here! I fully expected the retort to be a picture of five banners in Assembly Hall.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.