(ri) 1 Anyone?

Merrymash Monk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks for more details. Even if you don't pull out specific flavors, describing the form of the whiskey like mouth feel etc helps a lot to get across the character of the whiskey. It helps to know that it has a bigger mouth feel than Baby Saz. Between that and the corn sweetness, it obviously seems to have a higher corn/lower rye content than Saz, I too have found the Saz nice in it own way. Not crazy about the Knob Creek Rye. Its heavy handed even though I do like the distinctive JB flavor- which I like best expressed in JB Black. Around here the Knob and ri 1 are both around $40, maybe $36 or so on sale. A bit high to take a chance on the ri 1.

Edited by Merrymash Monk

Thanks for more details. Even if you don't pull out specific flavors, describing the form of the whiskey like mouth feel etc helps a lot to get across the character of the whiskey. It helps to know that it has a bigger mouth feel than Baby Saz. Between that and the corn sweetness, it obviously seems to have a higher corn/lower rye content than Saz, I too have found the Saz nice in it own way. Not crazy about the Knob Creek Rye. Its heavy handed even though I do like the distinctive JB flavor- which I like best expressed in JB Black. Around here the Knob and ri 1 are both around $40, maybe $36 or so on sale. A bit high to take a chance on the ri 1.

Is there any reason to think the Baby Saz (and Handy and whatever else follows it) isn't also a barely rye rye like Ritt and probably all the Beam ryes? I don't know, I am just curious. Doesn't mean that can't be different in mouthfeel, corn influence or whatever. It is just that I have always assumed, perhaps incorrectly that BT rye (with the exception of the CEHT rye) was standard 51% rye (or close to it. Maybe 53% like Barton?) like most others. The whiskey tree doesn't currently have a mashbill for the BT rye so I presume it remains a mystery.

Edited by tanstaafl2

I finally tried this last night. I actually liked the taste of the whiskey in the glass, although I could do without looking at the fancy bottle and trendy marketing.

Me as well, my Scottish heritage prevents me from paying extra for such frills.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.