DSP 354 vs DSP 1 Rittenhouse - How's the new stuff?

humchan2k
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just like the title says, I'm curious if anyone's had a chance to do a side by side of DSP 1 Ritt and DSP 354 yet? I'm REALLY worried that the DSP 1 won't be nearly as good, so I'm trying to bunker a case of 354 just to be safe...any info out there would be most appreciated!:bowdown:

I have seen a few comments about them. Here is one from Gary.

I have both and have tried a bit of both. I don't see a lot of difference between them so far other than DSP 1 seems a tad lighter in color. But I would really like to sit down with them and try them out with a few other people and especially try them out side by side blind to see what I think.

That's a tasting for which I'll cheerfully volunteer.

They are ready to go. Come on over!

My blind side by side was freshly opened bottles of each. Really close but I thought the 354 was a bit spicier/hotter. Surprisingly I picked the dsp 1. But not by a long shot. Or even a medium shot.

Bruce shared my other posting, but I was happily surprised that I picked the DSP-1 in a few blind-tasting rounds. Still want to do a couple more just to be sure, but the difference between the two wasn't huge. I'm definitely encouraged, as I didn't want to have to bunker 354 unless the 1 was a disappointment.

Was inspired to take the Rittnehouse BIB for a test run when a friend came over.

Both of us tasted them blind using single old fashioned glasses. I did not find them to be dramatically different but the DSP1 was the choice for both of us. A bit more body and corny-ness to the DSP1 than the DSP354.

But used in a cocktail I doubt it would make any difference at all.

Having a nice big pour tonight - and I have to agree. Although I'm not doing a direct comparison the DSP1 doesn't seem that much different to me. Wish I still had some 354 to compare.

With many positive reviews coming in think I won't worry aout grabbing any more of the 354s.

This is all reassuring, but I grabbed a few more 354's I found for a decent price none-the-less. This is one of my all time favorites so I figure I can't go wrong.

As the differences aren't overwhelming, I do encourage everyone to try the comparison. The 354 I have was the first Ritt BIB I ever bought (and quite recently), so I didn't have any nostalgic attachment to it. For someone who has been drinking it for a long time, they may lean the other way (and maybe not). But I do agree - I think that many finding the two to be similar is good for HH and not destroying the label (and good for us who'd rather not have to bunker!!)

Just a heads up, if you're in the LA area and want to try a side by side comparison of DSP 1/354 for yourself, check out my post in the Bourbon Social forum, I'll be hosting a tasting event in a couple of weeks. Holler!

The dsp-ky1s showed up at a local store today. So, I'm doing a side by side right now of 354 and 1.

Color: no difference that I can tell.

Nose:

354 - richer, rounder, denser, caramelly sweetness

1 - lighter, more airy, confectionary powder sugar sweetness, potpourri, flowery fragrance

Palate:

354 - Rich, round, full, Caramelly sweetness, Rye, dark chocolate, fuller mouthfeel

1 - light, airy, more rye, flowery fragrance, lighter mouthfeel, a little bit of that metallic thingy similar to WR.

Finish:

354 - long flavorful finish, rye, spice, sweetness, oak, prickly

1 - long hotter finish, more rye, spice, less sweetness, oak, more prickliness

Overall, both really good! I find that I'll need more side by sides to enjoy them both. For my palate, 354 is comfort and it could be due to the familiarity factor. I did find that the "1" has much more similarity in characteristics to other rye whiskys. So, you might find it more comfortable if you have been drinking other ryes.

I am definitely going to go find more 354s to bunker up. I was hoping it was closer that I won't have to bunker...

I'll keep sipping rest of the night on these two.

Edit: forgot to mention...the 354 is half full and have been open for several months. The 1 opened earlier tonight. I nosed and tasted the small pours immediately as well as letting it sit to open up. I'll have to keep trying these over the next few weeks to see if my opinions change.

Edited by hn4bourbon

Was it a blind tasting or did you know which was which? For me that seems to make a difference. I was also able to taste two newly opened bottles side by side. No idea if that made any difference but while I could tell they were slightly different both I and a friend picked the DSP-1.

Was it a blind tasting or did you know which was which? For me that seems to make a difference. I was also able to taste two newly opened bottles side by side. No idea if that made any difference but while I could tell they were slightly different both I and a friend picked the DSP-1.

It wasn't blind. They had such a different profile that I would have picked out which one was 354. As far as which one I liked better, i liked what felt more familiar immediately. Doesn't mean that I didn't like the 1. One important thing is that although I'll bunker a few more of 354 doesn't mean that 354 is better than 1...what taste better to one person may not be to another:) you'll have to taste it yourself and figure out which you like better.

I also understand that a newly opened bottle can make a difference but they just taste very different to me. Even with the 1 being opened for months, I don't see it getting closer to what the 354 taste like. That is of course what I am able to make out with my palate. Everyone's different:)

I think Bill also did a SBS (blind?) with a 354 that had been opened for some time, and had a similar report. Like Bruce, mine were both opened within the same week. But, I don't have that same familiarity factor. I've had Ritt BIB on a few occasions before, but never owned one until recently. I think that may be a big factor for many (if you've grown to love that specific flavor profile, the differences will be more pronounced).

I think Bill also did a SBS (blind?) with a 354 that had been opened for some time, and had a similar report. Like Bruce, mine were both opened within the same week. But, I don't have that same familiarity factor. I've had Ritt BIB on a few occasions before, but never owned one until recently. I think that may be a big factor for many (if you've grown to love that specific flavor profile, the differences will be more pronounced).

Gary, I really think that's the case here but would be interested to hear others' experiences on this.

DSP 1 - Cornier, less ethonol taste, thin, very bourbony. DSP 354 Spicier and has a better mouthfeel. I'm going to grab a few 354s for the bunker just for reference throughout the years I don't know which i prefer as they both seem to have merits.

DSP 1 with a willet single Barrel of LDI Rye poured at a 1 to 1 ratio is right on the money....

Seems no one is reporting the 'earthy' taste I like so much in the DSP-354 when describing the DSP-1. Is it missing or did I just have an unusual batch?

Edited by MauiSon

Seems no one is reporting the 'earthy' taste I like so much in the DSP-354 when describing the DSP-1. Is it missing or did I just have an unusual batch?

I don't recall DSP-324 being particularly "earthy" to me. I didn't notice it in either one when I did my SBS.

I don't remember any earthy taste either on both. It could just be my relatively young and untrained palate though. So, others might have tasted that.

I guess I'll have to revisit. It reminded me of the smell of the air following the first burst of rain, when the dust rises from from the splash of the droplets. Not strong, more a secondary note that remains throughout the bottle.

We decided to hoard a few cases of 354 and offer both DSPs for as long as possible. Would be fun to have side by side years from now.

I guess I'll have to revisit. It reminded me of the smell of the air following the first burst of rain, when the dust rises from from the splash of the droplets. Not strong, more a secondary note that remains throughout the bottle.

That is interesting indeed. I'll have to look out for that the next time I have a pour of the 354.

Thanks for sharing that!

This is a good example of how exactly the same production standards whisky, mashbill, yeast, mash cooking temp, fermentation time, that is made in different stills can product a slightly different product.

Edited by squire

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.