DSP 354 vs DSP 1 Rittenhouse - How's the new stuff?

humchan2k
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

New label makes me scared they are going to jack up the price.

I don't know if it was due to lcbo greed or supplier increase but the price here in Ontario has gone up recently by 14% for the dsp1 (same old labels, though)

I've read that HH takes a small loss on this label, so I would expect the price to go up.

That looks just like the old Continental Distilling label! Unfortunately, they removed the "Bottled by Continental Distilling Co." text.

Bought my first DSP-1 and set-up a head-to-head with DSP-354 tonight. To my nose the DSP-1 blows the DSP-354 out of the water. The new stuff has a fantastic, complex nose (I'm getting some great peppermint thing, among other aromas); the DSP-354 is sort of generic and boring. On the palate, the DSP-1 has a darker, almost burnt character that I quite enjoy, although it still seems a bit thin in comparison to DSP-354.

Previously, my favorite rye was the classic WTR101 with Ritt100 a long second. Now, with the DSP-1, the battle is much closer. We'll see how the next few pours pan out and, perhaps, I'll arrange a WTR101 vs Ritt DSP-1 head-to-head.

I've read that HH takes a small loss on this label, so I would expect the price to go up.

BS; 7 years ago they were selling this for $11 a bottle. It's now at $23. There costs have nowhere near doubled in 7 years and they were not selling at a loss back then.

Yes, one reads all sorts of things, but HH didn't get where they are by taking a loss on anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I can take or leave the aesthetics of the new label, but it looks to me like they're emphasizing bottled in bond a little more. I like that.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my favorite whiskeys when I can find it. The store I shop at doesn't put it on the shelf, you just have to be a regular and know who to ask. Last year it was $24. Today was the first time I've seen it since the fall and it was $29! I still bought one... But $29 is starting to become a stretch for this one.

I recently did a SBS of them both. My preference is 354 by a wide margin. The 354 has a much deeper and richer flavor profile, which matches a sample I had at a bar some time back.

Sucks to know that its now a finite supply.

I recently did a SBS of them both. My preference is 354 by a wide margin. The 354 has a much deeper and richer flavor profile, which matches a sample I had at a bar some time back.

Sucks to know that its now a finite supply.

The DSP 1 is in Indiana. I didn't do a side by side, but really enjoy both. I was not disappointed by the DSP 1. It reminded me in some ways of the older WT 101 rye. It's not exactly the same as the DSP 354, but I feel the quality is equal.

The DSP 1 is in Indiana. I didn't do a side by side, but really enjoy both. I was not disappointed by the DSP 1. It reminded me in some ways of the older WT 101 rye. It's not exactly the same as the DSP 354, but I feel the quality is equal.

DSP-KY-1 is in Kentucky. It's new bernheim.

I think he meant the DSP-1 is now available in stores in Indiana.

Oops. Carry on. Apparently my reading comprehension is not as good as my bourbon drinking. Ty :)

Yeah, the DSP 1 product was found by me in Indiana last week. It tastes less like a high rye bourbon, and more like straight rye whiskey (as others have said).

DSP-1 juice just hit Montgomery County and I picked up a bottle and put it up against DSP-354. I agree with many who have said the quality of these two are equal....but I preferred the new stuff. Much less "bourbony", even though I have enjoyed the old stuff too for years.

• 8 months later...
DSP-1 juice just hit Montgomery County and I picked up a bottle and put it up against DSP-354. I agree with many who have said the quality of these two are equal....but I preferred the new stuff. Much less "bourbony", even though I have enjoyed the old stuff too for years.

Outside of my initial jump into ryes at the beginning of my exploration into this hobby of ours, I've never had much use for the 354 for the same reason you mention, B...too bourbony. Fine enough, and certainly nothing wrong with it , but lacked the rye punch I looked for. To my tastes , the DSP-1 has stepped well into the recognizably Rye category. I much prefer this new iteration. For the first time in many years, I'm compelled to have Rittenhouse BIB always open on my bar.

On a side note, the repackaging is a winner to my eye, as well.

I've cracked into a DSP1 bottle and also find it more rye than bourbon forward. It's also very easy drinking at 100p.

If they can keep it on the shelves under $30, I'll probably end up drinking way too much of this!

Just "downloaded" a couple of DSP-1's into the stash. Last Ritt I had was the B-F version so looking forward to trying these.

• 2 months later...
I recently checked my bottle purchased in early 2015: D.S.P. KY 1. I'm sure all of the D.S.P. KY 354 bottles are out of circulation by now.

It does make me wonder how many bottles of the Brown-Forman version are left in your bunkers. Have you guys finished them off already?

I know of a couple places in NJ that still have the 354 on the shelf. Not quite out of circulation yet.

Considering how many things end up languishing on shelves for decades, I'm sure there's plenty of 354 in the wild still.

Considering how many things end up languishing on shelves for decades, I'm sure there's plenty of 354 in the wild still.

Plenty still left on store shelves in Ontario (both versions available)

I recently checked my bottle purchased in early 2015: D.S.P. KY 1. I'm sure all of the D.S.P. KY 354 bottles are out of circulation by now.

It does make me wonder how many bottles of the Brown-Forman version are left in your bunkers. Have you guys finished them off already?

I ran around and got 18 bottles when the change started. i'm down to 10 + 1 just opened. I didn't care for the HH version when it first came out but tried some several months ago at a Bernie Lubbers HH tasting event and thought is had improved. I may get a new bottle to see if it has improved.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.