DSP 354 vs DSP 1 Rittenhouse - How's the new stuff?

humchan2k
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am a bit confused by this new DSP1 talk. Hopefully someone can lend some clarity. I'm trying to put together all the KBD DSP1 expressions for a side by side some time next year. It was my understanding DSP1 was distilled on 4/10/84 at Bernheim. I know that they sold to HH, but am curious as to the 'Distilled By HH' shown on the Ritt label up thread. Also, several posts indicate DSP1 Ritt has been popping up around the country.

Being in a controlled state (VA) we don't see stuff like this, but I see from the label posted, there is no age statement. Is this the same Rye batch distilled at Bernheim in '84? I've perused the archives and know a significant portion of this went to KBD, but what did Diego do with the rest of it, and where has it been since? Wasn't this getting long in the tooth when Willett started bottling this 10 years ago?

Not even close unfortunately. After the HH fire Brown-Forman made Rittenhouse BIB for HH for a number of years. As a Bottled in Bond bottle it was required to have the DSP on it. B-F is DSP 354. A year or so ago HH began to take over from B-F and release Rittenhouse BIB that they made at the Bernheim distillery (which they bought and refurbished after the fire). Bernheim still carries the DSP 1 designation. So when HH began to release it again the label changed to say DSP 1 instead of DSP 354. Shortly after that HH changed the label altogether to what we now have. But there are still Ritt BIB DSP 354 with the older black label floating around and probably even a few with the old black label but say DSP 1. The new stuff is all DSP 1 with the new label. It is, as it has always been, NAS but at least 4 years old which is the minimum if it has no age statement (and probably not much over that).

The new label:

attachment.php?attachmentid=21739&stc=1

I see, thanks much for the clarification. I had no idea they were recycling the DSP1 designation. That would explain why there is such a price discrepancy between this, and the legendary 84 stocks.

I see, thanks much for the clarification. I had no idea they were recycling the DSP1 designation. That would explain why there is such a price discrepancy between this, and the legendary 84 stocks.

As I understand it the DSP or "Distilled Spirits Plant" number seems to be more geographical than company based. DSP 31 is the number for the Heaven Hill distillery that burned down but I think is still used by things that get bottled there (DSP's are associated with any facility that deals with spirits apparently, not just a distillery, which is why NDP's have a DSP number even if they don't make a drop of whiskey themselves). So when Heaven Hill bought Bernheim the site retained the DSP 1 number. Heaven Hill had to apply for that number to now be associated with their products but the number itself did not change.

Or something like that! I just drink it... :cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.