Cooper Spirits new 13yo Rye (Lock Stock & Barrel)

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Never too early to start wild speculation about a new product is it?

Bringing this over from the Rock & Rye thread.

Interesting rumor :)

Our founder, Robert Cooper, has been a serious rye whiskey enthusiast for a long time - far before rye came back into vogue. Several years ago, we did acquire a healthy stock of straight rye whiskies from multiple sources. Included in this acquisition was an amazing discovery of aged, perfectly matured straight rye. No hyperbole here - we tasted it with some of the most notable folks in the whiskey world, and they tell us it's the best straight rye they've ever had.

One inaccuracy in the rumor is the age of the whiskey. We are not using the same liquid as Whistlepig or Jefferson, but in fact an older and rarer stock. This Fall, we will be releasing a limited expression of this whiskey - a 13 year straight rye, truly robust and complex. I will share more info here as soon as I'm able. We're very excited to see how this community enjoys it!

• 3 weeks later...
Never too early to start wild speculation about a new product is it?

Bringing this over from the Rock & Rye thread.

I too would be interested in trying this. But I thought the WP 11yo 111 was a big reach at $100+ plus so I haven't bought it. I hope this new rye has a decent proof but a more approachable price point as well.

With Jefferson apparently switching to MGPI sourced whiskey I will likely not be as interested in it at the current price point especially considering Willett is already doing cask strength MGPI rye at a pretty decent price. I would likely drink through my Canadian sourced 94pf Jefferson rye at a very reasonable price and even the regular WP 100pf at $60ish before I am forced to consider an alternative.

Heck, I haven't paid $80 for VWFRR (when I could find it of course which isn't very often) and that is one I might be willing to pay $100 for!

Thanks for starting this thread - I actually didn't realize it was here! There was something a little unbecoming about starting my own thread for our own product, but I'm hoping a reply here is a bit more palatable :)

Truth be told, we haven't done any press or events yet, but we've tasted it with some of the heavy hitters in the industry. Of course this industry is a small world, where quotes from friends can be seen as endorsements, so I won't step on any toes and share their feedback prematurely. But I will say that we have a profound respect for the enthusiast community and I wanted to let you know about the product directly from us, before you read it from a stock press release. We just started bottling about two weeks ago and a few cases have shipped to distributors, so slowly but surely you will start seeing it on shelves.

Our whiskey is Lock Stock & Barrel 13 Year Straight Rye Whiskey.

Back in 2007-8, after our founder, Robert Cooper, launched St-Germain, he had a recurring nightmare that he would be forever known as the guy who made the flower liqueur. He pursued his longtime passion for rye whiskey, what he (and many others) consider the original American spirit. This search culminated in a grand discovery of old rye whiskey stocks in the Great White North - rye whiskey in new charred American Oak at Alberta Distilleries (ADL) that is now 13 years old. While he secured these barrels well in advance of anyone else to pursue ADL, we knew that we would be rewarded for tasting regularly through the aging process and tipping the barrels at the optimal time. These really are the honey barrels, the best expression of this hearty northern rye.

We wanted a real whiskeyman's whiskey - 100% rye grain, distilled in copper pot stills, with a master distiller's robust cut. Standing at 101.3 proof, Lock Stock & Barrel features complex but unified notes, resembling salted caramel, toffee, winter spice, and tobacco. We can't wait for you to try it, and I sincerely hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

post-10186-14489819700321_thumb.png

Thanks joen, your openness is refreshing and far preferable to the usual launch releases where we are told everything except what's relevant. The more detail and history you can give us about this new rye whisky the more interest I and I'm sure some other members will have in your product.

101 proof?!?! You are going to floor the hardcore whiskey enthusiast. I recommend releasing at a more humane 84 proof, heck make it 80!

Worse things to be known as than the man who made the flower liqueur. That stuff is great!

And thanks for the info on the rye. Much appreciated.

Thanks for posting about your new product joen. I'm definitely intrigued. Any idea as to recommended MSRP.

Any word on where initial distribution will occur and if any major internet retailers will be carrying it (for those of us in the backwoods of the Spirits world)? I am ready to try one right now!

If you know the Georgia distributor I am happy to start reaching out to them and advocating for it to be brought to our area.

This definitely has my interest more than a little piqued now we just wait and see price and area of distribution,either way it's on my radar.

Very interested and it's become apparent that I really don't enjoy many Bourbons or Ryes under 90 proof.

Should be interesting stuff. I'll be watching for bottles of it....

Thanks everyone. We literally just started shipping, so it will reach different markets on a rolling basis. And of course it's really up to our distributors how quickly you'll see it on shelves and back bars. But I can confirm that initial deliveries have gone out to Georgia (@tanstaafl2 - we're with Georgia Crown), New York, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin so far.

Thanks everyone. We literally just started shipping, so it will reach different markets on a rolling basis. And of course it's really up to our distributors how quickly you'll see it on shelves and back bars. But I can confirm that initial deliveries have gone out to Georgia (@tanstaafl2 - we're with Georgia Crown), New York, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin so far.

Nice to see Georgia on your initial release list. What MSRP are you looking at?

Thanks again for all of the info. This may be an unfair question, but is there any rye out there that you could or would be willing to compare yours too? I fully understand if this isn't something you're really able to answer, but any notes would be greatly appreciated.

It depends purely on when our distributors place their orders. Of course we'll be in Kentucky!

As for retail price, alas that is also more in the hands of our distributors and individual retailers (by law, suppliers can't set retail prices). But I would ballpark anywhere from $109 to 119.

That's a spicy meatball.

As for retail price, alas that is also more in the hands of our distributors and individual retailers (by law, suppliers can't set retail prices). But I would ballpark anywhere from $109 to 119. Please bear in mind that any waiting list or price gouging activity you may see in the marketplace does not benefit us in any way - once we've sold the product into our distributors, that's the only profit we'll ever see. It is our hope that this (and any integrity-driven product out there) is sold at a fair value.
That's a spicy meatball.

Indeed. But I kind of expected it to be in the WP111 range based on age and proof so if I can find it I am going to suck it up and certainly give it a try.

Hello. My name is Someone...I'll buy it... :)

Well, there are NDPs who would charge twice that and still refuse to reveal any details about it, some would even try to pass it off as their own make.

Yes, refreshing to see that kind of disclosure - likely an enthusiast purchase anyway, so be upfront about it if your source is willing.

Yes, refreshing to see that kind of disclosure - likely an enthusiast purchase anyway, so be upfront about it if your source is willing.

Thank you sirs (and madams). We see a lot of dubious claims in the marketplace and we would never mislead the spirits community - the world is far too small and life is far too short to try and cut a fast buck that way. We love our products and we're in it for the long haul.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.