Cooper Spirits new 13yo Rye (Lock Stock & Barrel)

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have one that has been open for about 3 months, and unless you like Canadian rye I wouldn't buy it. It taste a lot like Whistlepig I would even say it's the same juice.

I will not buy another and will probably have this bottle a long time.

As a side note I bought a Collingwood 21y and I'm enjoying it much more and it less then half the price. (I probably want buy another Collingwood)

Edited by LCWoody

I have one that has been open for about 3 months, and unless you like Canadian rye I wouldn't buy it. It taste a lot like Whistlepig I would even say it's the same juice.

I will not buy another and will probably have this bottle a long time.

As a side note I bought a Collingwood 21y and I'm enjoying it much more and it less then half the price. (I probably want buy another Collingwood)

I agree wholeheartedly. I got a taste when Julio's had a rep in for a tasting of this and their liqueur. It definitely had that same grape-skin finish I find in Whistlepig - no mistaking it. I'd love to find some normal-priced stuff that uses this same juice. There's just no way I can bring myself to pay such a high premium for branding again.

Good Day-

I tried some at a local bar and thought it was ok not awesome. I then proceeded to buy a bottle about a week later, not sure why I did this as it was about 120$ and I did not like it that much when I tried it. I think maybe I was just working on getting in good with my liquor monger as he was getting his Pappy the next week. But thinking back I should have instead bought two FRSB and two FRYL for the same price.

Best regards, Tony

Tony the retailers I know prefer customers who buy regularly over one who comes in occasionally for a high price bottle. It would seem the best way to make an impression is get them to recognize your face.

Jeffersons 10 year old rye is from the same source and should be similar at a much lower cost.

I've had it many times and love it. But it's missing that crazy finish.

As an artificial sweetener, its a good substitute for NutraSweet or Sweet'N Low. As a rye whiskey...blech.

Side note: Instead of finishing the bottle, I hid it at a forum member's house. Wonder if he'll ever find it...

Tony the retailers I know prefer customers who buy regularly over one who comes in occasionally for a high price bottle. It would seem the best way to make an impression is get them to recognize your face.

Thanks Squire- I go with this philosophy as well. And it probably did not make any difference that I bought that bottle. I make sure I shop the same three liquor stores to get a shot at some of the limited stuff.

Warm regards, Tony

Had my first pour of this last night. My oh my this is a flavorful smooth rich rye. At this price I think it will be slowly consumed but thoroughly enjoyed.

If it were $50 - $75 a bottle and more readily available I think it would be a go to rye for me and many others.

It seems to get a mixed reception. I really liked it right after opening and I am not a big believer in oxidation affecting whiskey but my first bottle did seem to get a bit muted with time. I will be curious to hear what you think. The WP Boss Hog when first opened pretty well blew away the LSB that had been open a while even when the Boss Hog proof was lowered a bit. Haven't had a rematch yet though.

Must be that all American bourbon barrel finishing process for the WP... :rolleyes:

Jeffersons 10 year old rye is from the same source and should be similar at a much lower cost.

A good deal of speculation on the source of Jeff rye at the moment and the original bottles that noted a Canadian source are uncommon now. Also at a bit lower proof. So may wish to proceed with caution. Lack of info about source of whiskey and even what is in the bottle as this thread notes leaves Jefferson only a little above WP in the transparancy department.

Cooper Spirits has at least said openly on this forum that they are using the Alberta Distillery for their LSB rye (even if the bottle is a bit less clear). That counts for something to me although perhaps not enough for some to consider the notable cost difference. Then again it is a good bit cheaper than Boss Hog at about the same age if a little lower in proof. I suppose if you water down the Boss Hog to the same proof it is about the same cost.

Even if I'm correct (my industry sources say I am) I'm careful to say Alberta whiskys should be similar and do not claim they are the same. Heaven Hill only uses one rye based mashbill but they produce decidedly different products from that base.

Blind tasting at the gazebo should yield some dandy results.

Back to Bourbon, it's always back to the Bourbon. I don't like the price Cooper has set on their Rye but I do appreciate the openness with which it's presented.

Threads merged and title updated to keep the conversation in one place.

Thanks for the merge. To me the LSB is far superior in taste than the WP but I don't feel the extra price is justified. I bought because after 6 months my curiosity got the best of and besides I can.

With so much bs coming out of WP they have lost my business and lately I found the Jeff 10 way too variable.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.