Perfect Manhattan Combination?

EagleRiver
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wainwright got me hooked on Manhattan's, so now I'm curious what peoples perfect version consists of. Right now I'm experimenting with different vermouths using Dickel Rye as the Base whiskey and Peychauds for the bitters using a 2 part rye to 1 part Vermouth ratio.

I did M&R and Cinzana side by side last night and thought they were really close, I had trouble naming a favorite of the two but probably leaning toward Cinzano. I have Noilly Pratt and Cocchi on deck next.

I enjoy the GDR for Manhattan's but I use a 3 to 1 ratio

Saying "Perfect" Manhattan tends to bring up the notion of using half red and half white vermouth along with the rye or other spirit. This is an ongoing theme on some cocktail boards.

A recipe from Chris Amrault on another board in his pursuit of the "perfect" Manhattan.

2 oz Henry McKenna bourbon

1/2 oz Punt e Mes

1/2 oz Dolin dry

dash Jerry Thomas Decanter bitters

dash half-n-half orange bitters (half Regan's, half Fee's)

I haven't tried it yet and I tend to be a bit of a purist snob, preferring rye in a Manhattan, but it sounds tasty!

Also suggested on that site are the following (the Whisper is a favorite);

Whisper

1 oz Handy Rye (you need less with an overproof spirit)

1 oz Dolin Dry

1 oz Carpano Antica

Not part of the original recipe but I tend to add a smidge of bitters, whether it be Orange, Angostura, Fee Whiskey Barrel aged or Bookers bitters. To each his own!

A couple of suggestions that use a similar formula but drift a bit from the traditional.

Affinity: 1 oz The Macallan Cask, 1 oz Dolin Dry or Noilly Prat Vermouth, 1 oz Carpano Vermouth, 1 dash angostura. Lemon Twist.

Ashtray Heart: 1 oz Smith & Cross, 1 oz Dolin Dry or Noilly Prat Vermouth, 1 oz Punt e Mes. Rinse glass with smoky Mezcal.

Looks like some fun recipes I will have to try them out.

I prefer higher rye bourbon in a Manhattan. You can look at the cocktail threads and probably find some good recipes.

I usually just mix whatever bourbon (typically a lower end or less desirable choice neat) 2:1 or 3:1 with sweet vermouth (Martini) and bitters (Angostura). I sometimes add a Marischino cherry. I shake it rather than stir.

Bruce is kind of the cocktail king,I'm sure if he threw those out there every damn one of them is going to be pretty stellar.

Perfect: equal parts sweet and dry vermouth

Half-Perfect: 3:1 sweet to dry vermouth

Try to get some Vya too. Stuff is pricey but tasty.

My perfect manhattan, served to me a couple weeks ago at the bar by my good buddy: 4:1:1 BMH16, Punt y Mes, Dolin Blanc. Fee's rhubarb bitters on the stir, fee's whiskey barrel bitters on the chilled glass, garnished with a luxardo cherry. Mind blown.

I'm going to try that equal part thing tonight, well except the rye won't be equal

Ya I didn't mean perfect as in the half and half vermouth unless that is your favorite, I should have titled it favorite recipe, as I'm sure many of you have played around with different combination trying to come up with one that is extra special.

I'm sure everyone has a favorite go to recipe they like. I'm drinking Buffalo Trace 3 parts, 1 part M&R, 3 dashes of Angostura right now just to try a different recipe, its a solid mix, but the sweetness is a bit high.

I have some Carpano Antica coming Friday, so I'm saving the Cocchi and Noilly for the weekend so I can try all three against each other once.

Looks like some fun recipes I will have to try them out.

Bruce is kind of the cocktail king,I'm sure if he threw those out there every damn one of them is going to be pretty stellar.

This is how I have been making my Manhattans lately, and they are sooooooo good.

1dash Angostura Bitters

1 dash Regan's Orange Bitters

2oz Rittenhouse BIB

1oz Carpano Antica Formula

Pretty Simple and not too crazy!

This is how I have been making my Manhattans lately, and they are sooooooo good.

1dash Angostura Bitters

2oz Rittenhouse BIB

I have everything on your list on hand, so i might give it a try over the weekend, looks like a nice list.

My go to Manhattan is the exact same as c.dono's except I omit the Regan's Orange and just use 2 dashes of Angostura.

• 2 weeks later...

1dash Angostura Bitters

2oz Rittenhouse BIB

I tried this recipe, great by the way, I have decided Carpano is my favorite of all the Vermouths I have tried and the rittenhouse is a great base rye. On the bitters I have tried multiple combinations.

Angostura x2

Angostura x1 and orange x1

Peychands x1 and orange x1

Angostura x1 and Peychauds x1

Peychauds x2

Orange x2

I find the orange doesn't add much of a noticeable difference to me, I did however notice that I like just Peychauds the best. But each drink was a very tasty experiment.

My friend gave me a bottle of Stranahan's, so I have been using that the last couple nights, it is a bit spicy and dry and works pretty well in place of rye.

My whole family drinks Manhattans its official family cocktail.

Everyone has their own spin and thats one of the great things about it.

My father, brother, and myself all like this mix.

2 parts Willett Rye

1 part Antica Carpano Vermouth.

2 dashes angostura bitters.

1 Luxardo Cherry in the bottom of the glass

My dad prefers a heavier pour of rye closer to 3 to 1

We use different bitters depending on the mood.

Blantons also makes a fantastic substitute in the recipe

The Willett Rye brings a lot to the party

I tried this recipe, great by the way, I have decided Carpano is my favorite of all the Vermouths I have tried and the rittenhouse is a great base rye. On the bitters I have tried multiple combinations.

Angostura x2

Angostura x1 and orange x1

Peychands x1 and orange x1

Angostura x1 and Peychauds x1

Peychauds x2

Orange x2

I find the orange doesn't add much of a noticeable difference to me, I did however notice that I like just Peychauds the best. But each drink was a very tasty experiment.

My friend gave me a bottle of Stranahan's, so I have been using that the last couple nights, it is a bit spicy and dry and works pretty well in place of rye.

I think I created a bit of a monster,I think the Manhattan kick is only equaled by my pursuit of all these damn expensive beers you keep recommending.......it's a hell of a fun hobby though isn't it?:grin:

Ya I have 4 beers on draft and about 30 different bottles in the fridge and I can't stop playing around with the manhattan recipe, lol. We did some Rob Roy's last week with Isle of Jura Prophecy, they was quite intense.

Well in that case I'll come over drink all your good beer and leave you a bottle of nice rye it's a win win situation!

Any of you guys ever use Fee Brothers bitters in your Manhattans? I think it works quite nicely for something a little different. I know they also have a barrel aged bitters that I am interested to try.

Any of you guys ever use Fee Brothers bitters in your Manhattans? I think it works quite nicely for something a little different. I know they also have a barrel aged bitters that I am interested to try.

Fee Bros are fairly common and I have used several including the barrel aged and the aromatic old fashioned bitters which is a little similar to Angostura. They generally work nicely in most cocktails. The knock on Fee is that they are not alcohol based but instead glycerine and propylene glycol based. You don't typically use that much so not sure how much that matters. They kind of have a bitters for every occasion.

• 4 weeks later...

In my Qwest for perfection I have found a cheap combo I really liked in an effort to use up some vermouth. Very Old Barton 6year BIB 2parts, M&R Sweet 1 part, 3 dashes peychauds. For whatever reason I found this combo really hit the spot with me. Not as good as say the Carpano/Rittenhouse combo, but for cheap ingredients is pretty dang good.

Here is my "perfect" recipe:

1 oz Rittenhouse Rye

1 oz bourbon (I have experimented with Weller 12 and Old Forester Signature)

1 oz Carpano Anitica Vermouth

.24 oz Campari

2 dashes of Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters (I recently did 1 day Whiskey barrel and 1 dash Orange)

Then I barrel age it for about 30 days.

Mmmm Mmmmm

• 1 month later...
Here is my "perfect" recipe:

1 oz Rittenhouse Rye

1 oz bourbon (I have experimented with Weller 12 and Old Forester Signature)

1 oz Carpano Anitica Vermouth

.24 oz Campari

2 dashes of Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters (I recently did 1 day Whiskey barrel and 1 dash Orange)

Then I barrel age it for about 30 days.

Mmmm Mmmmm

could you review the barrel aged bitters? I currently prefer the bitter truth old fashion aromatic but wonder about the barrel aged. I like a ratio of 5oz booze to 3oz carpano or cocci with bitter truth. oh, and don't forget the luxardo cherry and lemon oil on the rim.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.