Virginia Sweetwater vs Virginia Lightning

B.B. Babington
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

New distillery opened up recently in Marion, Virginia producing corn whiskey, Appalachian Mountain Spirits Distillery. They make corn whiskey, white Virginia Sweetwater and slightly aged(?) War Horn Whiskey. They are a little pricey ($25 and $33) for straight corn, but seems like the “moonshine†products are getting good sales in spite of too high price for the product. I bought the sweetwater and expected to be disappointed but maybe in a better mood for corn tonight. It’s a smooth sweet sip, very mellow. Slight lingering pleasant aftertaste.

Took it head to head with Virginia Lightning ($17) from Belmont Farms of Culpeper, Virginia. Belmont is better known for their Kopper Kettle whiskey.

Sweetwater has stronger “moonshine†nose, though Lightning at 100 proof & Sweetwater at 85 proof. Lightning has a bolder, more interesting flavor. Sweetwater is more mellow and definitely sweeter. Sweetwater would be more neutral mixer and probably preferred by generation y (the young folks), especially since it comes in a fancy bottle. Which do I recommend?... either one if ya in the mood for straight corn.

I was a big fan of Virginia Lightning too, but it was discontinued after the distillery was sold.

I think maybe they returned to limited production of Lightning. Not sure how much gets distributed to other states.

I suspect gen y has more of a hankering for straight vodka.

When are they coming out with bourbon flavored vodka? That would be a big hit.

When are they coming out with bourbon flavored vodka? That would be a big hit.

Beam's Eight Star.

vwXe0Ey.png

post-8769-14489819704078_thumb.png

Edited by HighInTheMtns

I was a big fan of Virginia Lightning too, but it was discontinued after the distillery was sold.
THey never stopped production and it continues today. A partner joined Belmont Farms to produce and distribute Original Moonshine but Virginia Lightning never went away.

I think maybe they returned to limited production of Lightning. Not sure how much gets distributed to other states. [\QUOTE]
THey never stopped production and it continues today. A partner joined Belmont Farms to produce and distribute Original Moonshine but Virginia Lightning never went away.
Thanks for the correction! Glad to hear it's still being made. No longer distributed in Michigan, though, sadly.

Can't remember if I'm part of gen x or y. Either way I'm glad I don't drink the same as them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.