Old Four Roses ad

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got another old Four Roses ad; this one from Chicago. Also have 5 more coming as a group, including a replacement NY one that the framer faded when mounting.

IMG_20130822_162339_541_zps5edbae6f.jpg

the tower on the left in the background is the Wrigley (as in gum) building

images_zps258e79ff.jpeg

I'm not sure what the other smaller skyscraper to the right of the Wrigley Building is.

My guess is that the street scene is on the Gold Coast, just north of downtown. Maybe one day I'll drive around and see if these are actual buildings (I'd guess Astor St or Dearborn).

Very cool, I love those old Four Roses city ads.

thanks!

lots available on the big auction site. pretty cheap, too.

thanks!

lots available on the big auction site. pretty cheap, too.

I've purchased a few ads from there but I have not yet gotten any of the city ones. Might be a fun project to try and collect them all and figure out the locations depicted like you have!

The color ads would be from magazines which was an effective way to reach your market in those days.

Are these just pages from old magazines?

Yes. Like Saturday Evening Post. That creates a minor problem for framing as the back page shows through a little.

Kind of amazing that so many people saved them.

Well there were certainly a lot of them. Whisky brands for the most part couldn't use billboards, movies, television or radio so print ads were about it.

It could be Dearborn north of Division. That was my first impression. But the Wrigley Building in that view would be fanciful, unless this is in fact some long-lost neighborhood in the now heavily-developed area west of N Michigan and south of Chicago Ave. Except none of the north-south streets in that area are so narrow. I suspect this is a composite view, incorporating the Wrigley Building view into a Gold Coast neighborhood a bit further north. This looks like the neighborhood around the Ambassador East Hotel, a Gold Coast landmark then and now, but I don't think you can see the Wrigley Building from there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.