Flasks

AnotherCigarGuy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Most of the threads on this are quite old, so would appreciate your help on the above.

For some reason, I'm guessing that you "flask" guys have multiple ones, either because

of different uses and/or because something was "wrong" with the one you were using, so

you threw it in the drawer and replaced it.

So, anything I should look for, or avoid, in my shopping?

I am no expert. Most of my flask use is limited to cheapo plastic travels flasks as I would hate to have a nice flask confiscated at a game or concert. That being said, I do have 2 Stanley flasks that look like an old green Stanley thermos, and I love them.

The random 200ml glass bottles work well too. That said, I've got an assortment of stainless steel flasks from bourbon/whisky festivals that I don't really use. I also have the Stanley flask & a Snowpeak Titanium flask that I often use when on the trails.

Pardon my ignorance, but is the inside of ALL flasks glass, and then it boils down to looks? I'm sure it's not that easy..........:(

I use stripped 200ml bottles as well. Hard to beat for the price, considering they always seem to have some whiskey in them to start. I've got several steel flasks that I've used in the past and are engraved, but I prefer to see what I'm drinking for whatever reason.

Unless I'm doing something that I'm afraid will break the bottle, I'm on the 200ml reuse bandwagon too.

Bottles of bourbon or other spirits in a plastic quasi flask shape (the Jim Beam "travel" bottles come to mind. I have seen them in 500ml and 750ml I think) are what I use to save the weight of glass and avoid risk of breakage.

Plus you get the bonus of whiskey, if not the best stuff in the world. Although it is perfect to use to fill up a fancy bottle for your bourbon and coke guzzling friends...

REI used to have several plastic and stainless stell flask options available. Haven't checked in a while.

Pardon my ignorance, but is the inside of ALL flasks glass, and then it boils down to looks? I'm sure it's not that easy..........:(

I think you want stainless steel on the inside of a metal flask. If it is plastic then it is going to be plastic on the inside. Some claim to be BPA free plastic material.

I think you want stainless steel on the inside of a metal flask. If it is plastic then it is going to be plastic on the inside. Some claim to be BPA free plastic material.

Yeah. Would want stainless steel rather then plastic, but, think would want glass instead of stainless steel?

I'm guessing that if I can figure out, then avoid, the "made in China" crap, the sealing material they use on the stainless steel

that will be touching the precious nectar should be ok?

I have a few stainless steel flasks. All seem to provide a good seal. The first thing I learned was that I needed a funnel to fill the flask.

Yeah. Would want stainless steel rather then plastic, but, think would want glass instead of stainless steel?

I'm guessing that if I can figure out, then avoid, the "made in China" crap, the sealing material they use on the stainless steel

that will be touching the precious nectar should be ok?

Unless you are leaving the whiskey in the flask for an extended period of time (weeks to months, which I would not recommend anyway) I am not sure it makes a bit of difference if it is stainless steel or plastic. The chinese made stuff I suppose is a bit of a crap shoot except that just about all of it is the chinese made stuff, including the freebies from most distilleries.

I have a few stainless steel flasks. All seem to provide a good seal. The first thing I learned was that I needed a funnel to fill the flask.

And a funnel is definitely a good idea!

I've got a few in different sizes (ranging 2oz to 6oz). I like to use those when traveling since they won't break (all stainless), although I did have one that developed a leak (I suspect due to a pressure change in the checked luggage, as I noticed it when I unpacked at my destination). I do like glass 200 mL bottles for just bumming around with though.

Now y'all have done it I'm going to have to buy some 200 mL bottles.

I see a trip to my local store tomorrow, cha-ching. It's good know I have friends here who are looking out for my best interests.

Big proponent of flask use here. They have a little more style than a bottle, but that's just me, I don't judge. For concerts or games where a chance of confiscation exists, I'll use the ones that come in gift sets around the holidays or other such replaceable, non- sentimental items. At the other end of the spectrum, I have some limited edition or gift flasks that are pretty much for display only. In the middle are the rest that get frequent use. One key thing I have found is to look for flasks with the lid secured to the flask in some way if you will be using them outside; beach, hiking, etc; dropping a tiny flask lid is way to easy, especially if sharing. Funnels do make things a lot easier as well, but you can do without if you're careful.

One key thing I have found is to look for flasks with the lid secured to the flask in some way if you will be using them outside; beach, hiking, etc; dropping a tiny flask lid is way to easy, especially if sharing. Funnels do make things a lot easier as well, but you can do without if you're careful.

That's the kinda thing I would never think about. Thanks!

I'm thinking IF you keep a funnel with the bottle, you'll never need to find a funnel when you go to refill?

They, generally, don't come with any drinking vessel, do they? You are either nipping it straight from the flask or using

whatever is where you are?(styrofoam cup, etc.)

I've been using the Nalgene 4oz rectangular leakproof bottles for years. The mouth is wide enough that you don't need a funnel. I get mine at The Container Store here in Houston, but their online site doesn't offer the 4oz size.

Here is place that sells the Nalgene 4oz rectangular leakproof bottles, they have other sizes too:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=34605&catid=661

• 2 weeks later...

i reuse 200ml bottles of whatever i have bought in that size lately to try for the first time. currently, i reuse an OGD BIB 200ml and a WT101 200ml bottle. i am cheap, plus i dont have to worry about losing a nice flask if they catch me with it at the karaoke bar, concert, etc....

• 4 weeks later...

I have a larger plastic REI version, some smaller stainless steel ones and also use smaller recycled glass bottles. All depends on the use/function.

Went to a concert recently, decided to take a nip with me, pulled a flask out of the cupboard. It was half full, but I don't know exactly what was in it (undoubtedly nothing top shelf). Not being too picky, I just topped it off with a 50/50 WSR/Bulleit blend I had experimented with. Later, when sampling, I thought it was quite tasty. An initial burn followed by a creamy deliciousness. I wish I could replicate it in a new blend, but I have no idea what the third ingredient may be.

I have a larger plastic REI version, some smaller stainless steel ones and also use smaller recycled glass bottles. All depends on the use/function.

Went to a concert recently, decided to take a nip with me, pulled a flask out of the cupboard. It was half full, but I don't know exactly what was in it (undoubtedly nothing top shelf). Not being too picky, I just topped it off with a 50/50 WSR/Bulleit blend I had experimented with. Later, when sampling, I thought it was quite tasty. An initial burn followed by a creamy deliciousness. I wish I could replicate it in a new blend, but I have no idea what the third ingredient may be.

Serendipity, at it's finest! :toast:

I am no expert. Most of my flask use is limited to cheapo plastic travels flasks as I would hate to have a nice flask confiscated at a game or concert. That being said, I do have 2 Stanley flasks that look like an old green Stanley thermos, and I love them.

I use a military grade flask made from a collaboration between Oakley and the Macallan. It's the only one I found that can handle the rigors of my lifestyle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.