Filson Bourbon Academy

bourbonv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

With Jim's permission, I am going to take time here to tell you about my latest project. I have a new position at the Filson Historical Society as their official 'Bourbon Historian". Part of my job is to use Bourbon related events to get the word out about the filson and raise a few funds while doing so. I have been doing an 8 hour course called the "Filson Bourbon Academy" since 2009 and now I am going to be taking the class on the road to other cities. I will be at the Columbia Yacht Club in Chicago on September 24 and the Century Bar in Dayton, Ohio on October 19. In November I am doing an Academy at the Filson on November 2 and at the Miller House in Owensboro, Ky. on the 23rd. Here is a link to the Filson website for anyone interested in finding out more information about these classes: http://filsonhistorical.org/the-filson-bourbon-academy/

I am looking to add St. Louis and Washington D.C. to the list by the end of the year. Next year I am talking to people and plan on going to New York, Lexington, Northern Kentucky, Seattle, Grand Rapids and indianapolis as well. If you would like to see me bring the class to your city, please contact me and we can talk.

Mike Veach

Squire,

Both cities are on my list. If you know a place that would like to host an Academy in those cities, let me know.

Mike Veach

Even though Mike didn't ask for any testimonials, I going to pipe up with one... myself and Dale (NeoTexan) drove down from Indy to the Filson 4 weeks in a row to attend one of the early presentations of this course (where Mike did it in 4 2 hour sessions instead of the all day session). We even put up with MAJOR traffic jams trying to cross the river because one of the bridges were closed. Dale even had to put up with riding in the Smart car one week (you should have seen the looks whenever we stopped and the 2 of us - big guys - got out of the car....most people seemed to be thinking "when are the rest of the clowns coming out". Even with all of these tribulations, I have to say it was a very worthwhile experience. While I always enjoy listening to knowledgeable folks talk about bourbon (and had talked with Mike in the past), hearing this information in a well organized presentation helped put things together for me in a way where I may have actually retained some of the information. I really recommend his class to anyone who has the opportunity to attend.

Thanks Tom for the endorsement. I need to get you and dale the Filson Bourbon Academy Glencairn glass that the student receive now.

Mike Veach

I would love to attend if you make it to DC. It's a few hours away for me, but I'm sure it's worth it.

SMOWK, I am trying to get to D.C. on December 14. I think I have a place to host it but will not know for sure until next month. I hope to see you there.

Mike Veach

Having gone to Mike's presentation last year in Chicago, I have to echo Tom's comments. All SBer's should make a point of attending his class if he's in your area.... you'll be glad you did. Mike does a great job in telling the history of bourbon and leads you in some interesting tasting exercises. It's a lot of fun and well worth your time.

I was excited to see you're going to be in Dayton, Mike. Until I saw the date, as I will be in Raleigh for a wedding.

I will watch the schedule, for future dates and cities close to me.

Phil T, I am also hoping to work with Molly Wellmann to do the Academy in one of her Northern Kentucky Bars early next year. Vosgar, I am doing the class again on September 24 in Chicago. I hope to get a chance to meet up with some "Alumni" while I am town.

Mike Veach

Mike, please PM your email address to me. I have a large retailer in Indy who would like to talk to you about hosting your roadshow.

Road show? You are talking about Professor Veach's Traveling Bourbon Extravaganza aren't you?

Message sent. I look forward to coming to Indianapolis in the near future. I appreciate the help in finding a location.

Mike Veach

Just so people have a better idea as to what the class is all about, here is the agenda for the eight hour class:

Filson Bourbon Academy

The Filson Bourbon Academy is an eight hour class about Bourbon. Attendees will learn about the heritage of Bourbon Whiskey and have the chance to taste several different styles of Bourbon and other American Whiskeys.

The class will run from 9am to 5pm.

Agenda

Session one: The origins of Bourbon Whiskey:

Early distillers and the whiskey rebellion and the whiskey tax. The trade with New Orleans and the creation of Bourbon Whiskey.

Session two: Tasting Bourbon:

The six sources of flavor of Bourbon and a Flavor wheel. Comparing a traditional Bourbon made with rye and a “wheated “ Bourbon.

Session three: 19th century Bourbon:

The early Bourbon makers including, James C. Crow and his contributions. The Civil War and the return of the excise tax. The industrial revolution and distilling. E H Taylor, Jr., George Garvin Brown and the marketing of Bourbon. The “Whiskey Ring†scandal. Rectifiers and the Bottled-in-Bond Act 1897.

Session four: Tasting Tennessee Whiskey and Rye:

How Tennessee whiskey differs from Bourbon and the “Lincoln County Processâ€. How rye whiskey differs from Bourbon and rye styles such as Maryland rye and Monongahela rye.

Lunch Break

Session five: Early 20th century Bourbon and prohibition:

The Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 and the Taft Decision. Prohibition’s origin and the Anti-saloon League. Doing business during prohibition and the “Medicinal†trade. George Remus and other prohibition bootleggers. The repeal of prohibition.

Session six: Tasting Single Barrel and Small Batch Bourbons:

Defining these categories of Bourbon. Introducing a “craft Bourbon†from artisanal distillers.

Session seven: Post prohibition to present:

The self regulation of the industry and the government regulations. The Great Depression and World War II. The boom days of the19 50s and the decline of the 1970s. The modern era of super premium Bourbons and the computer age. Alookat Bourbon of today.

Session eight: Blind tasting and graduation

A blind tasting where the students apply what they have learned. After the blind tasting, students are presented with a certificate of graduation.

Besides the certificate showing that they completed the class, students are eligible with a STAR certification to become a “Official Bartender of the Bourbon Trailâ€. Students are also given a Glencairn whiskey tasting glass and a booklet of sources to take home with them.

Mike Veach

I would love to come to Hawaii, but i am afraid the cost would make the ticket price very high, so unless I find a sponsor to help pay expenses I don't see it happening. with that said. I will not rule it out completely.

Mike Veach

I kinda expected that to be the case. I have a friend that works in the wholesale trade so will have him make some inquiries. Will pm you if I hear any good news.

• 4 weeks later...

This is not a Filson Bourbon Academy, but the Filson is doing an event that people here might be interested in called the "Filson Bourbon Challenge". It is a blind tasting of 5 Bourbons and the person who gets the most correct wins a bottle of Pappy. Julian and Preston, along with Joy Perrine are going to be the judges for the contest. The event takes place at the Filosn on October 8 and there are still many seats available if you are interested.\

Mike Veach

This is such a great event and must for any enthusiast. I don't care how much you think you know, you will still get a lot from this event and Mr Veach's book.

The Chicago Academy was a great time and thanks to all who attended. Next in line is Filson Bourbon Academy in Dayton, Ohio at the Century Bar on October 19. If you live near Dayton and are interested in Attending, here is the link to register: http://filsonhistorical.org/event/the-filson-bourbon-academy-dayton-ohio/

Mike Veach

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am doing a Filson Bourbon Academy in Washington DC at Jack Rose Dining Saloon on December 14. If you live in the area and are interested, hhttp://filsonhistorical.org/event/filson-bourbon-academy-washington-d-c/ere is a link to register:

Mike Veach

I had a great time in St.Louis at Gamlin Whiskey House on Saturday teaching the Filson Bourbon Academy. A great place to eat with a good bourbon bar, so please check it out if you are in St. Louis.

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.