Charbay S

compliance
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Seems like some Charbay S has just been released at 29 months. I am a huge fan of the original Pilsner Release II (have not had the I). I jumped on this as soon as I saw it available. There are some notes on the S on the LAWS website at a younger age, but I can't find anything about the 29 month old. I'm having second thoughts and am considering returning it (it's expensive). Just hoping someone has some tasting notes or experience with this stuff and can give me a feel for this release.

I should have put more info in my first post but i was making it from my phone. This is distilled from Bear Republic's Big Bear Black Stout instead of the IPA used for R5. It was spendy at $130. Of course if it's anything like the original hop flavored whiskey releases I'd be happy to spend that amount on it. I do have a vague memory of a taste of R5 being far too young but that was a "busy" night long ago. I think the current release of R5 is a little older than before as well.

I like the R5, both the unaged and lightly aged versions. Very well distilled and interesting flavor! Shame I can't get it in Texas.

I'd be very interested in the S. I love the Big Bear stout

Slightly offtopic but I picked up a bottle of Charbay II in NYC this past week. I have had the I and the 12yo, I'm excited to taste the intermediate version :D

I love the II. There's a place around here that sells pours for under $20. No idea why they price it that cheap but it makes me happy. If it weren't so expensive I'd own multiples. I picked up my S today btw, and if I grow the stones to open soon I'll post my notes. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be disappointed for the money, but as they say, YOLO.

Please post your thoughts.

On another note, I'd love to get a bottle of Charbay I. There were bottles on the shelf here in Dallas for years that I passed on, now they're all gone :'(

I've been doing a little research and I found Charbay S online for $70. Could it be the same stuff, or is there more than one release? I don't see an age statement in the description on this site...

I think I'm wrong about the multiple releases. The K&L email blast said it was "new" but the lot # on my bottle matches D&M's website that says it was a 2012 release. So I'm not too happy that I paid $60 more for it. That's ridiculous!

edit - Every review online says Charbay S is aged under 2 years, but K&L says theirs is 29 months. That's why I assumed this was a new release. Lot numbers are the same on all bottles according to pics posted on the various retailers and review pages. I have some emails out to try to figure out what the story is. Either K&L is wrong or different batches went out with identical labels :/.

Edited by compliance

Here's the word from Bryan at Chabay:

to answer your question, yes there is two different releases currently on the market. We sold a single barrel last year of the S to DnM in SF which they are almost out of, it was aged for 19 months and then cut to 99 proof. Our recent release was distilled in the same batch but aged for 29 months - in result a completely different product all together because of the time in barrel. So, although there is similarities between the two, lot number, same beer, distilled at the same time, same proof, the addition of 10 months in oak makes a huge difference.

Well that's good to know, but they should at least put something on the bottle to identify which is which if the lot numbers are the same. My bottle is also 99 proof. I opened it and I think it's tasty. Definitely in in the Charbay hop whiskey family. I get lots of vanilla and some lemon. The marijuana note is there but not as much as release II. It may be psychosomatic but I think I do taste the stout, there are roasted grains in there. Other than other Charbay releases it reminds me of the Bruichladdich Bere Barley. I was worried that new make notes would overpower the flavor, but it doesn't. I'm sure it will get even better when its older, but it's very drinkable now.

• 1 month later...

There is a bottle of Charbay II near me that is available at $170. It sounds like if I can put together 170 bucks, I maybe ought to spring for it...

The first release and second release were both $350 in East TN. Very few bottles made it here. My first batch bottles state 840 produced. The second release was higher but I'll have to check the bottles to know for sure (I think around 1400 but don't trust my memory) tim

I have not seen the current lower proof release in this area. The origional releases were blistering. I may have to revisit them. tim

I recently as able to try this and I was floored. The Charbay R5 was interesting but kinda one note - reminded me of a stale IPA. This one was incredible. Floral, citrus, chocolate, creamy, spicy, fruity....very, very complex. When I tasted it I thought it was 80 proof given how easy it went down, but this stuff was 99 proof! Blew me away. Very interesting whiskey.

There is a bottle of Charbay II near me that is available at $170. It sounds like if I can put together 170 bucks, I maybe ought to spring for it...

$170 is a great price for Charbay II. Is that clearance? I'd buy it for sure.

I revisited the S tonight for the first time in a while and I think it's mellowing once opened. Still great but not quite what it was. Or the cask strength islay i just had before hand dulled my palette. Maybe it was that.

• 2 months later...

I had mis-remembered the price; it turned out the store had it for $179. A huge discount over the original price, but it still took me a while to work up the nerve to spring for it. I'd never even shelled out 3 figures for a bottle before. But I picked one up tonight, and I'm glad I did. What an amazing nose and palate! I get pine sap, ginger, lemon and grapefruit. A very balanced caramel from the wood undergirds it. Plus beer, obviously -- I think someone on the LAWS site mentioned Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, and that's entirely apposite. Utterly delicious and unique -- I'm not going to tear through the bottle, but I will certainly savor it.

And there's at least one more bottle at the store for that price. If any of you are ever in Portland and want to know where, PM me.

• 11 months later...
I just picked up the Charbay III, what a monster! :eek: Love this stuff

I as well after a glowing recommendation from another whiskey enthusiast. It's not exactly an everyday whiskey due to price but the flavors and finish is fantastic. Unique in a positive way, not gimmicky or novel so far. I'll need to spend more time with it, already finding almost 4 oz from the bottle, 2oz were sent off as tasting gifts.

cc51d1ed7371861089c8258e8c8b47c9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

finally opened a bottle of the release III. spectacular nose, and amazing finish. the big hoppy and marijuana flavors are very upfront. great whiskey. happy i got to try it!

• 2 weeks later...

In the same vein as Charbay, Binny's still has a bunch of Clear Creek Bierschnaps. Its distilled Redhook that spent 3 years in glass and 12 years in oak, and it's proofed at 101. It's less hoppy and sweeter than the Charbay R5. It's not in the same category as Charbay III (not much is), but its tasty nonetheless and only around $60. If you like distilled beer its definitely worth a try.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.