BOTM 9/13: 1792 Ridgemont Reserve

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1792 is $34.95. VOB BIB is $14.95. I love the latter and have always avoided the former, but seeing it is a different mash-bill makes me wonder.

Then again VOB BIB is abnormally good for how cheap it is. Maybe I'll rectify this situation by picking up a bottle. For research purposes only.

1792 is $34.95. VOB BIB is $14.95.

Where are you getting it at that price? The OLCC set price is $15.90. Plus the closest place you can get it is Big Y Liquors in Eugene. The price of gas wipes out the price advantage, so I buy it only when I happen to be down there.

(which is fairly often because I work down there now. Makes for a looooong commute)

1792 Ridgemont Reserve is not generally available at the stores I frequent, so when I saw a single bottle of it sitting forlorn among the Beams in an independent retailer I had stopped at to buy beer on my way home from work Monday, it was kismet.

Tastes like a "premium" VOB to me. I did a side-by-side with VOB BIB last night. To me, the two were very similar (and there's only a minor difference in proof), but the 1792 did seem to have richer color, nose, legs, mouth feel, flavor, and finish. My taste buds say the 1792 was a tad sweeter, with caramel and/or toffee notes that I didn't sense in the VOB. Truth is, during the the taste comparison I found I was always reaching for the 1792 first.

But when I have $34 to spend on a bottle, will I reach for a 1792 Ridgemont Reserve? No; I'll probably reach for another in that price range. But on the bottom shelf, VOB BIB remains a best buy for me. (For the record, VOB BIB goes for $14 around Chicago.)

Edited by Chuckles

Sorry I'm late folks. :rolleyes: Anyway, here you go.

The Bourbon Of The Month is 1792 Ridgemont Reserve.

I haven't had a bottle of this open in quite a while, so I'll refrain from saying a whole lot. One thing I will say, I liked it. Not as much as I like my wheater's, but I thought it was pretty decent IIRC. Maybe I'll pick up a bottle next week when I'm down in Kentucky. Might be a good time to revisit it.

Cheers and happy posting!

Joe

Well, better late than never. I was getting somewhat depressed, because this is my first month at Straightboubon.com and I was looking forward to your Bourbon of the Month so I could have an excuse to buy another bottle. :cool:

Now I do, and I am very curious as to what it will be like (being very new to Bourbon whiskey, just about everything I try is a very new experience). Next week, I shall take a short trip to Market Square Liquors (Tallahassee) and try it out. :grin:

Wish I could get VOB BiB to compare with the 1792. We do have VOB 6 Yr 86 proof around here but I never hear anyone wax eloquent about it. Anyway last night I'm in New Bedford, MA at a Portuguese wedding in a Portuguese social club function hall. Fun wedding with a bit of good news/bad news. The bad news was that it was a cash bar, the good news was that 4 fingers of 1792 (yes you read that right 4 fingers or about 5oz) was only $4. And it wasn't like I asked for a double or a triple. That was the standard pour. Needless to say I only had two of them. For me 1792 is a standard open bottle at home - and to see it open in public is unusual here in the Northeast. Good balance of flavors.

Anyway last night I'm in New Bedford, MA at a Portuguese wedding in a Portuguese social club function hall. Fun wedding with a bit of good news/bad news. The bad news was that it was a cash bar...

Cash bar? Are you sure it was a Portuguese wedding?:slappin:

A couple things to add to what I said above: According to the information I have been able to gather (reflected in the whiskey tree), VOB and 1792 are different mashbills. It's likely that 1792 is from a high-malt mashbill, something unique among macrodistillers. It's been speculated that Kentucky Tavern is also the same mashbill. That said, there is still something very Barton about it, probably yeast or warehouse related.
Interesting. Being a Ten High straight fan, multiple people have suggested that I try 1792. BUT if it's a different mashbill, I might not like it as much.

Interesting. Being a Ten High straight fan, multiple people have suggested that I try 1792. BUT if it's a different mashbill, I might not like it as much.

• 4 weeks later...

I just looked at the whiskey tree, and it's not completely clear to me which mashbill was used for Ten High.

Barton-1792, #3 char, Independent Stave

Barton (75/15/10)- Very Old Barton all proofs +???

1792 (high barley?)- 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, +???

Other Bourbons: Tom Moore BiB, Kentucky Gentleman, Kentucky Tavern, Ten High, Walker's Delluxe, other "cats & dogs".The rest, unknown

I just looked at the whiskey tree, and it's not completely clear to me which mashbill was used for Ten High.

Standard Barton mashbill.

• 2 weeks later...

I am late to this, but 1792 has to be a high rye mashbill, not to sure on it being high malt. I am told this stuff is 60 corn, 30 rye, 10 malt. It is the mashbill they used to use for straight Kentucky Gentleman, and Tom Moore. But they can make more money with 1792 and KY gentleman is all a blend now, and I do not know about Tom Moore. The same guy who informed me on this, and should know, said Barton used to make about 4 rye mashbills. One was 100 percent rye, unmalted, and one was 100 percent rye malt. Went into blends I imagine.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.