What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin bout! Good on you Tom for sharing such a great rye, wish I could've been there.

Started off today eyeing some older rye samples that a very generous SBer sent my way, thanks again! Having some Willett 24 yr, 94 proof. Man, this is one stellar rye! Great nose, lots of spice, very well balanced and a finish that lasts forever. Easily one of the best ryes I've ever had.

2011 Handy.. guess my palate is coming around to higher proof offerings or it has been open long enough to take some of the edge off of it.

2011 Handy.. guess my palate is coming around to higher proof offerings or it has been open long enough to take some of the edge off of it.

I was happily surprised to have High West Double Rye show up on the shelves of VA ABC stores; so some found its way home with me.

Won a bottle of HW Double Rye at a HW tasting a few months ago. Just poured and I'm not sure what to make of it. Lots of pine on the nose. Oh well. It least it was free.

Moved on to some Ritt BiB. An improvement over the Double Rye IMHO.

Interesting. I was going to say that I had Rit BIB and didn't like it as well as Double Rye. ;-)

Michter's 10 year. This one tastes so close to my bottle of Hirsch 22 it's uncanny. Sometimes it comes off as a little chalky on the palate.

Michter's 10 year. This one tastes so close to my bottle of Hirsch 22 it's uncanny. Sometimes it comes off as a little chalky on the palate.

Popped open this one tonight:

10182041415_6ac095bf35_z.jpg

Very Olde St. Nick NAS Rye (couldn't the word "Straight" anywhere on the label) - 93pf

It's actually very smooth with a bit of rye spice and maple syrup... actually, it finishes a little like an El Dorado 12yr rum - kinda weird actually. It tastes nothing like Ritt or Saz (has more in common w/ the Lot No. 40 '12 I have open) - I think I like it but will need to revisit this one.

Very Olde St. Nick 18yr Rye - 104.6pf (the word "Straight" does appear on the label)

10182410104_abaf23d421_z.jpg

More rye spice than the NAS VOSN and not overoaked as I've been told... my palate must be off tonight because I get maple syrup and rum in this. Right off the bat I like this rye.

Capping off the ryes tonight with some Willett25 Rye (Gift Shop) - tastes more like the Hirsch Ryes than the VOSN's I had earlier... I get something like children's vitamins? (the stuff that's chalky - like the old Flinstones Children's Vitamins) - not as woody as I thought it'd be but it's pushing the boundary there. It's sweet and spicy with a drying effect to finish.

Thanks much to the generous SB'r who sent me the sample!

Edited by ChainWhip

Capping off the ryes tonight with some Willett25 Rye (Gift Shop) - tastes more like the Hirsch Ryes than the VOSN's I had earlier... I get something like children's vitamins? (the stuff that's chalky - like the old Flinstones Children's Vitamins) - not as woody as I thought it'd be but it's pushing the boundary there. It's sweet and spicy with a drying effect to finish.

Thanks much to the generous SB'r who sent me the sample!

I had a similar experience when I tried a bottle of Vintage 23 rye awhile back. It immediately tasted like those awful candy necklaces, super chalky and corn syrup sugary. I'm convinced that apart from that amazing Hirsch 22 Compliance let me try that rye over 15+ years is a very risky thing....not counting Saz 18, of course :)

I had a similar experience when I tried a bottle of Vintage 23 rye awhile back. It immediately tasted like those awful candy necklaces, super chalky and corn syrup sugary. I'm convinced that apart from that amazing Hirsch 22 Compliance let me try that rye over 15+ years is a very risky thing....not counting Saz 18, of course :)

Oh, there's some great ryes over 15yrs for me (the Hirsch22 being one of them). But my palate is finicky and certain notes that are pronounced on one night may be subdued on another visit.

I'll revisit this Willett25 Rye again to give it a fair shake :-)

My bday party was a great night for Rye, and bourbon... Delilah's 15yr Rye, Four Roses 125th LE Small Batch, a small taste of Old Mock distilled 1916 thanks to a generous customer, 2 of the best sazaracs I've ever had made with thomas handy, VWR... the last being from a bottle given as a bday gift from my special lady friend!

Baby Saz. Does not suck. Followed by Hirsch22 neat. Also does not suck:grin:

Edited by Old Dusty

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!