What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

DSP-354 Rittenhouse. Opened it Thursday night so my father in-law could taste the difference between Bourbon, and Rye as we finished a bottle ECBP 134. Just continued on with it.

Ted

I don't always drink cocktails, but when I do I prefer Manhattan's with a rye whiskey base. Tonight it's Ritt BiB. Stay thirsty my friends. :-)

Some Jefferson's 10y. Has some white stuff at the bottom that I haven't noticed before. Guess it's from NCF

Finished off my first bottle of Jeffersons last night. Exceptional value for such a great taste. I need to buy another.

Rittenhouse BiB tonight. Just cracked open my first bottle of it a few days ago and am really enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Saz 18 and a 24 yr Willett rye sample (#446 at 47%) provided by a most generous SB bud. Doesn't suck!

Saz 18 and a 24 yr Willett rye sample (#446 at 47%) provided by a most generous SB bud. Doesn't suck!

Fairly similar to me, w the Willet having more pronounced flavor and (obv) greater wood presence. Pretty fantastic stuff for sure.

Fairly similar to me, w the Willet having more pronounced flavor and (obv) greater wood presence. Pretty fantastic stuff for sure.

A freshly opened bottle of Hirsch 22yr thanks to a fellow SBer. So good.

Side by side with a sample from a previous bottle that did not sit well with me. The newer one is hitting on lots of sweetness the previous bottle never had.

I vatted about half the previous bottle with some other ryes: Highwest 21yr, HW Double rye, RittBib, Jeffersons 10. Having some of that now and it makes for a very interesting and layered whiskey. You can pick out all the pieces, the tannins in the 22yr, fruitiness of the HW21 aged without charring, the greenness of the Double rye, the young herbal notes of the Ritt, and spice of the Jefferson10.

All in all and very good and fun little flight.

I've just tried Ritt BIB for the first time. Really enjoying it too for the deep dark rich flavors.

Another very different one I've been enjoying is WT Russell's Reserve 6 yo. Of course its not nearly as big a rye as the Ritt. But its one of the tastier and certainly among the most well balanced ryes I've had.

Just wondering if a lot of those old WFE ryes were Cream of Ky.

I swung back and forth on this question (Is it Medley? No is it CoK?) - I think it's got more in common with Medley than CoK but it's "fruitier" than the other Medley ryes I've had like the Hirsch22...

Either way, the 47% & the 55% barrels of the Willett 24 Rye were both distilled on the same day but there's a clear difference in taste so who knows?

This might belong in the "Cocktail" thread, but I am enjoying some Hochstadtler's Rock and Rye tonight - I'll have to pick up another bottle of this.

I swung back and forth on this question (Is it Medley? No is it CoK?) - I think it's got more in common with Medley than CoK but it's "fruitier" than the other Medley ryes I've had like the Hirsch22...

Either way, the 47% & the 55% barrels of the Willett 24 Rye were both distilled on the same day but there's a clear difference in taste so who knows?

Edited by Old Dusty

Opened up my first bottle of High West Double Rye last night and while enjoyable it doesn't quite measure up to the Rendezvous but I do like it. Been a member for a few months now but I'm still opening up my first bottle of something every week. :grin:

Opened up my first bottle of High West Double Rye last night and while enjoyable it doesn't quite measure up to the Rendezvous but I do like it. Been a member for a few months now but I'm still opening up my first bottle of something every week. :grin:

A long, slow, sip of Fleischmann's Rye. What a hidden jewel of a whiskey.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!