What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Chili is simmering and I have moved in to some HW 16 while enjoying some football. Looking forward to Luck vs Manning this evening. I love Peyton, but I hope we kick their butts. Go Ponies!!!

Whistlepig 10. When I first opened this bottle, I couldn't stand the stuff. After slowly working my way over several months through half of this bottle, it is growing on me to the point where I can tolerate it. Who knows? Maybe by the time I finish it off, I might actually like it.

Started with some WTR101, then hit some Bowman 10yr TPS Rye #1, and now gonna have some Rathskeller to finish the night.

Last night I opened a bottle of 2012 THH at my monthly tasting. It was fun introducing 30+ people to the joys of tasty rye, even if it has already turned into unobtainium. The rest of the tasting was a BT distillery tasting covering BT, BSB, W12, ER10 and 1792. in a room of 35 people there was no clear favorite, although the THH had a bunch of new fans.

Sharing the THH! Now that is impressive. I'm just a little too selfish.

Dude!!! You ain't sharin'?!!!?! :shocked:

:skep:

Started with some WTR101, then hit some Bowman 10yr TPS Rye #1, and now gonna have some Rathskeller to finish the night.

Killin' it!

I continued with opening a new bottle each day. Today is a Willett Straight Rye 4 year, 120.8 proof. It really reminds me of the AE rye turned down a good bit.

2013 Saz 18 and 2007 VWFRR... Tonight does not suck

Michael, notice much change in the Saz year over year or is the tank keeping a level profile?

It seems less spicy this year and oddly a bit younger? But I don't really have a huge memory of many earlier Saz. Still a really delicious pour and I will be buying all I can find

Michael, notice much change in the Saz year over year or is the tank keeping a level profile?

We (about 20 people) did a side by side of the first release (2000?) and 2012 Saz 18 at the last Houston get together and the consensus was that they tasted the same.

Edited by smknjoe

We (about 20 people) did a side by side of the first release (2000?) and 2012 Saz 18 at the last Houston get together and the consensus was that they tasted the same.

It is all supposed to be the same stuff so differences are most likely palate related vs actual degradation of the whiskey or mixing in Buffalo Trace distillate.

That doesn't surprise me, I haven't tasted every year's expression but did try enough of the different years to find them consistent.

Very interesting. I would have expected differences from 02 to 06 or whenever they tanked and then a basically level profile (+/- from oxidation) thereafter.

I don't have a lot of experience with Saz 18 myself, but most of the SB "old timers" seemed surprised that there was little to no difference.

Fat pour of '09 Handy in front of the outdoor fireplace. Oh my, this is great whiskey. Of course for me, every year of THH has been great. So, I look forward to opening and loving on, the '13 iteration.

12' vwfrr Can't stop drinking this bottle that the girlfriend obtained for me for my birthday. I think i need to hide it from myself, who knows if I'll get any this year.

Killin' it!

I continued with opening a new bottle each day. Today is a Willett Straight Rye 4 year, 120.8 proof. It really reminds me of the AE rye turned down a good bit.

Wow I have not seen a WFE 4yr that wasn't 110

12' vwfrr Can't stop drinking this bottle that the girlfriend obtained for me for my birthday. I think i need to hide it from myself, who knows if I'll get any this year.

I was thinking the same when I had a few pours of VWFRR last night. It is truly an amazing pour--the nose on it is very nice. And I really like the warmth that the finish provides.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!